ANTIVENOM a cure for vipers and cobras
Casual User
Feb 3, 2017
Kleinburg Ont.
VetteCoins
Car
2010 z06
Hi all.
This is my first post on this site and I'm hoping I get some positive I'm put. I bought my first z06 a few months ago. Just got to drive it a handfull of times.
I had the car out last night in 6 degree weather with traction control ON . Car was in 3rd gear and I start to lose traction. Car us squirming and I'm scared and excited. Same thing in 4th gear. Tires are new but I think I may want to put on a drag radial so I feel safer.
Any help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum.:Cheers2:

Don't forget you have a lot of horsepower in that car and under less than ideal conditions it is very possible to break the tires loose. Hang on till it warms up and you have a little more experience with the car, I think you will feel a lot more comfortable with it.

That said even in a lowly C5Z I can break the MPSS loose even when it is warm.:Biggrin: Just a matter of getting used to.

Enjoy you car, best of luck with it.:thumbs:

Hi all.
This is my first post on this site and I'm hoping I get some positive I'm put. I bought my first z06 a few months ago. Just got to drive it a handfull of times.
I had the car out last night in 6 degree weather. On the highway,traction control ON . Car was in 3rd gear and as the rims get up to about 6,000rpm I start to lose tr action. Car us squirming and I'm scared and excited. Does the same in top end if 4th. Tires are new but I think I may want to put on a drag radial so I feel safer.
Any help?
The Michelin Super sports are not designed for less than 7 degrees and even that is stretching it. If they are the Super Sport Cup 2 tires, they are even worse. That being said, I would strongly suggest you read up on the pros and cons of drag radials for street use before you go that route. You may be better off for your purpose with the Michelin AS-3 instead. JMO

The tires have amazing traction in the summer. The rubber is as soft as butter. The cooler weather, combined with quick acceleration will see the rubber break free of the pavement though. It is common on spring runs to hit a corner a bit too aggressively and feel the rubber slip before TC fixes it, those same corners where it feels like the tires are glued to the ground in warmer weather.

You will also find the same just before replacing tires as the rubber as hardened significantly.

Reactions: Hiroki Soki
Just out of curiosity Max, how fast were you going in 3rd gear and 4th gear at 6000 rpms (I assume 6000 rims was suppose to be rpms). I know what speed a 2010 Z06 at 6000 rpms is travelling in 4th and I'm a bit surprised at that combination of gear and rpms on the Hwy and the tires breaking free that you are still around to tell the story.... Just curious...

Been driving with the Super Sports now for 4 years on my C6 'Vert. Great tires when the tires and the pavement are warm. Michelin recommends not to drive under 7 degrees C but anything lower than that and they have a hard time gripping in any gear if you're not careful, and done properly, quite a bit of fun.

Thank you all for your reply.
I was at a higher rpm when the traction control kicked in and out multiple times. At one point i looked at my rpms and they cut out to 2ooo rpm momentarily.
Im not stranger to high speeds.(not bragging but stating facts). I have a 280zx v8 that runs high 9s in 1/4 mile. It is a street car with mickey thompson drag radials on it and it feels very planted and stable at high speeds.
i will get to know this car bit by bit,but it is a handful. I bought the car used,and it could very well have a tune in it already. hope it was just cold tires,but already having a tune could be a good thing too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding Maximus...Are your tires breaking free under lateral G's or straight line running? How about you post some pictures as well. We like pictures here... of your 280 ZX as well. :Biggrin:

Hi all.
I had the car out last night in 6 degree weather. On the highway,traction control ON . Car was in 3rd gear and as the rims get up to about 6,000rpm I start to lose tr action. Car us squirming and I'm scared and excited. Does the same in top end if 4th. Tires are new but I think I may want to put on a drag radial so I feel safer.
Any help?

I don't even have a Z06, just a Z51 but what I find is once the temp hits about 10C and the sun is not out the tires start to gradually loose grip as the temp drops. When you hit 7 the back end will break loose very easily, and if you get close to 0C it's like driving on ice.

Rule of thumb with the Michelin's is don't go out if it's going to drop below 7C or take it really easy ( keep the revs down ).

But when it's warm out, man nothing grips like these tires.

As a first responder who attends too many accidents and cuts away cars from around people, I would think twice about excessive speeds on public roads. On a racetrack in a controlled environment, give it to her and take it to the limit of what these fantastic machines can do. You wouldn't believe how small things in the road, that you don't see, will have a drastic effect on your car. JMO
BTW, pictures, pictures, pictures. Seems to be a common addiction to all of us on here.

Curious , does anyone check the tire temp when thinking of driving fast. I always wait until tires show warm before even driving a tad hard.

Reactions: Dik
Hi all.
Any help?

If these are Michelin Super Sport summer tires, any temp below 7 degrees C the tires are like Hockey pucks, wait for the temp to rise. If you don't race the car, when you change tires get Michelin AS/3 great all season tire, that way you won't have the colder temp issue. Happy Motoring from Alberta.

Maximus, everything has been said that can: too cold, too fast & wait for warmer temps; otherwise, drive slow and cautious until then or bad things can happen. Enjoy your new vette - oh, the tires are awesome.

Reactions: Tinman
What you are experiencing is a summer tire not doing an effective job in winter conditions. They are not designed to work below 10c, and that is why they spun like that. Cold hard tires don't stick, and cold pavement with years of car grease and grime (haha, I've been to Toronto) coated on them are pretty slick too. In the summer, it will be great for traction! Just not in the rain. Don't ever pin that car in the rain or on wet pavement, even in the summer.

Do not buy drag radials thinking that they will get better traction on the road, especially in colder weather. They are called 'drag radials' for a reason - they are good at straight-line acceleration on hot or very warm pavement. They are like driving on ice platters in the rain, and below zero weather will turn them into hockey pucks. Thereafter known as 'drift tires'. Drag radials are too soft of a compound for regular street driving as well. You will go through a set in 5-10,000km no matter how nice you usually drive. You mount them on a different set of lightweight wheels and put them on at the track, and take them off when you are done. Running drag radials is a yearly commitment.

If you do want to drive the car through the winter months when it is clear, then you really should invest in another set of wheels and some all-season tires that can accommodate the lower temperatures. Bear in mind that it is not just your acceleration ability that is hindered, it is also your ability to corner and brake, which are even more important.

As stated above, summer only tire that is not designed for cold weather. Grip is lousy in the cold and great in the heat.You ought to see how greasy they get at 2 degrees. My mother will beat you to the grocery store in her Saturn.

Reactions: Darren
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread