Sargon

Casual User
Feb 3, 2015
Markham
VetteCoins
Car
'15 z51 2LT 7M
Just read in the Corvette forum in the US that Michelin has issued a statement regarding tires cracking in the cold, nothing we haven't read before but confirming what we knew. Basically don't move the car if it's under -6C/20F, there's a risk they will crack. Definitely inspect the tires when picking up your ride, since GM moving and shipping these cars int cold knowing fully about this problem.

See link below
Michelin Issues Statement to Corvette Forum About Cracked C7 Tires - Corvetteforum

Not sure if my Pilot Sports are the same or not but mine have been resting comfortably and warm in the basement this winter. Too expensive for me to take a chance on them self destructing in the cold and I mean cold garage.

The Goodyear Super Car tires are are currently holding the beast off the concrete floor.

Are GM and Michelin looking for ways to get sued? If I am going to the track, I will have dedicated tires and dedicated wheel alignment specs neither of which are good for a lot of street miles. I think they are taking this Mr. Racecar thing a little too far.

Luckily I've had mine in a heated garage all winter. Just waiting for the warm weather and some rain to clean up the roads, so I can get her back on the road.

But hearing all the whining of the other forums, its like they have no idea of the limitations of high performance summer tires. They're blaming gm for not providing a more balanced tire, geeez! Its a high performance machine, if you want the performance and grip there is a price to pay. If you want to drive it in the winter get all weather/season, its just what you have to do.

I guess being Canadian we understand it a lot better.

Last edited:
See my understanding was the tires are fine in the cold as long as you don't move the car an inch. Have to do more research............

That was my understanding also but reading the Michelin statement that will not prevent the tires from cracking. Although forum members that store their cars haven't said they found the tires cracked. Haven't taken delivery of my car so don't really know what to do next winter with it as my garage isn't heated and placing it on blocks isn't practical nor am I comfortable with that option.

I took delivery of my 2015 z51 late November 2014 in Ottawa and the temperature was -7c. Further, I drove the car other days as low as -10c. (just couldn't help but drive the car before winter). Subsequently I stored the car in a heated garage on flat stoppers and having just inspected the tires (its +8c today), have happily found no cracks. Do any other folks have a similar or different experience?

Mine has sat in my unheated garage all winter in Southern Ontario where it has been very cold in February. I put 40lbs of air in them last Nov when I stored it. Just took a flashlight, looked over the tires, no issues at all. I won't drive it until April when it has warmed up a bit more and the snow is gone. I don't think storing these tires in the cold is an issue as long as you aren't driving it. I have always added extra lbs of pressure before putting my cars to bed in the winter, helps to avoid flat spots come spring.

Luckily I've had mine in a heated garage all winter. Just waiting for the warm weather and some rain to clean up the roads, so I can get her back on the road.

But hearing all the whining of the other forums, its like they have no idea of the limitations of high performance summer tires. They're blaming gm for not providing a more balanced tire, geeez! Its a high performance machine, if you want the performance and grip there is a price to pay. If you want to drive it in the winter get all weather/season, its just what you have to do.

I guess being Canadian we understand it a lot better.

I disagree with your statement.
AND, you forgot the most important factor. No z51 all season or winter runflats exist. So that is not an option.

It is stupid that there are no options for a $80k car that you can only drive 6 months per year in parts of Canada.
So YES, GM is stupid for not prividing an all-season tire.
I want to, and I do, drive the car all winter long.
For those lucky ones who chose to live where it does not snow, this is a huge factor.
Maybe you are burried in snow and just brush this off since you can not imagine taking your car out.
But it is just a car, and a cheaper one than many other nice cars. So it is not that special....
So I do not want to just stare at it in my garage for 6 months like some do. LOL! I actually want to drive it.

Me, I used to go skiing in a vette with winter tires.

Last edited:
Mine has sat in my unheated garage all winter in Southern Ontario where it has been very cold in February. I put 40lbs of air in them last Nov when I stored it. Just took a flashlight, looked over the tires, no issues at all. I won't drive it until April when it has warmed up a bit more and the snow is gone. I don't think storing these tires in the cold is an issue as long as you aren't driving it. I have always added extra lbs of pressure before putting my cars to bed in the winter, helps to avoid flat spots come spring.

What I do and I don't add any extra air is buy some 1" think pink or blue Styrofoam and cut 4 squares about 12" x 12" and park on top of those, never a flat spotting issue. Pads last about 5 years or more, replace when needed..

Tire Pressure

What I do and I don't add any extra air is buy some 1" think pink or blue Styrofoam and cut 4 squares about 12" x 12" and park on top of those, never a flat spotting issue. Pads last about 5 years or more, replace when needed..

I agree with Wayne that putting pads under the tires will stop run flats but the rule of thumb (from all tire manufactures) is for every 10

70F is equal to 21C.

Don't know about some people here but I sure wouldn't be calling it a day if its 21C outside. Id keep driving it till all the leaves are off the trees and the mercury stands at 5C or below. But that's me.

Good suggestion though.

@carbuff: Its not just a car. Its a sports car and for it to be a real sports car it needs the right equipment (including tires).

Your comment reminded me of a comment from a McD top executive from the early 2000's.

"If you don't want pickles on your Big Mac then TAKE THEM OFF YOURSELF!"

Sounds like that's precisely what you opted to do. Another of my customers did just that (switched to all-seasons right away). and I am very happy for them that they are enjoying their C7 thoroughly all year round.

Its your car so you are welcome to do as you please with it.... just like everyone else. Im happy that you opted to enjoy it year round.

If all you wanted was a "cheap" $80K vehicle with all-season tires you could have picked one from many lots across BC. If it isn't special why wait months to get one?

You are very lucky to have one. I am sure there are many on this forum who would have been very grateful to grab that allocation if you had in fact purchased another $80K vehicle with all-season tires to suit your taste.

I disagree with your statement.
AND, you forgot the most important factor. No z51 all season or winter runflats exist. So that is not an option.

It is stupid that there are no options for a $80k car that you can only drive 6 months per year in parts of Canada.
So YES, GM is stupid for not prividing an all-season tire.
I want to, and I do, drive the car all winter long.
For those lucky ones who chose to live where it does not snow, this is a huge factor.
Maybe you are burried in snow and just brush this off since you can not imagine taking your car out.
But it is just a car, and a cheaper one than many other nice cars. So it is not that special....
So I do not want to just stare at it in my garage for 6 months like some do. LOL! I actually want to drive it.

Me, I used to go skiing in a vette with winter tires.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.