hey guys, to put it simply there are 3 types of differentials: open, limited slip, and locking. Here is my question: when a locking diff is not locked, is it open (one wheel peel) or is it limited slip? are there LSDs that also lock?

reason I ask is I was on the market for a Toyota Tacoma with a part time 4 wheel drive and a rear locking diff. I was told that both 4x4 and rear locker should not be used "on road" so then if I use 2 High and unlocked rear diff, then that means I would be driving in "1 wheel drive" with little weight over the rear wheels?

It's a bit complicated, you need to look into exactly what the make/model/year/options/differnet driving modes of the truck you want to buy. There's also a transfer case that transfers the torque to the front and rear wheels - some of those lock up so the front and rear wheels turn the same speed (usually called 4 wheel drive), others have a differential which allows front and rear to turn different speeds (what we usually call AWD), and some of the new systems you can select which, or they automatically switch depending on wheel slippage detected by the traction control system. You don't want to drive in 4WD or diffential lock on pavement - you'll damage the drivetrain. You can drive in AWD or automatic mode, but you'll get poorer fuel economy and more drivetrain wear, so for 90% of your driving when the roads are good, drive in 2H. If the rear diff has limited slip, you'll have lots of traction for most situations, not "1WD". And even in 2H, and no limited slip diff, if the truck detects slippage of one rear wheel, it will apply the brakes to the spinning wheel to direct more torque to the other wheel. Hope this helps clarify

It's a bit complicated, you need to look into exactly what the make/model/year/options/differnet driving modes of the truck you want to buy. There's also a transfer case that transfers the torque to the front and rear wheels - some of those lock up so the front and rear wheels turn the same speed (usually called 4 wheel drive), others have a differential which allows front and rear to turn different speeds (what we usually call AWD), and some of the new systems you can select which, or they automatically switch depending on wheel slippage detected by the traction control system. You don't want to drive in 4WD or diffential lock on pavement - you'll damage the drivetrain. You can drive in AWD or automatic mode, but you'll get poorer fuel economy and more drivetrain wear, so for 90% of your driving when the roads are good, drive in 2H. If the rear diff has limited slip, you'll have lots of traction for most situations, not "1WD". And even in 2H, and no limited slip diff, if the truck detects slippage of one rear wheel, it will apply the brakes to the spinning wheel to direct more torque to the other wheel. Hope this helps clarify
Ok I didn’t think of that, so even an open diff will have brake based traction control that will act like a LSD in most use cases.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread