Aug 2, 2010
ancaster, ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1988 coupe
Hi guys i just ordered my new high flow rear cat (MagnaFlow) just wondering will this increase my HP?
My car is a 1988 L98.

My Minor Mods:
KN filter
Cut Air Box
Air Foil
Accel Thick Wires
Bosch Plat 4 Plugs
New Cap and Rotor
Flow Master Mufflers

And also thinking of adding a coil as well, so any imput would be great about the cat and coil as far as Hp in concerned, thanks guys... :canada:

I had same stuff pretty much in my GTA way back when. You can get some real feel it in your pants gains out a set of headers but I don't think you will see anything substantial. Now.... The SOUND should be way cool!!!

Agreed -- from what I've experienced you may pick up a few ponies and that's a good thing but won't 'feel' anything dramatic.

From the mods you've listed you have helped the car run as new, and yes a new coil will help the car run well if the old one is not up to the task.

The exhaust will sound good while freeing up some ponies but will be more beneficial if you install headers and comparatively freer flowing exhaust all the way down the line, including larger diameter pipes, free flow cats, x-pipe, resonators, and mufflers/tailpipes.
The hp increase to my mind if you modded the whole system would be somewhere in the 10 to 20 range (IMHO) .... Manny and other experienced folk here would confirm that for you.

Doing just the rear section would help but to a much lesser degree.
You're main benefit for that mod is cooler/louder sound as HLN 455 has said.

Once you free up flow in the back end, then it's time to think of a good intake. -- which you've started (K&N). There are many on the market and all worth a look at and leg-work to see who's works best on your car.
LIkewise with the rest of the intake system: You'll pick up a few ponies here and there with doing a little to improve it, but can pick up a lot more if you consider the whole thing (just like the exhaust side of it).

Once that's looked after and you want more, forced induction and tuning is a good way to improve efficiency and power. -- That mod will allow even more benefit from the intake and exhaust mods that you've already done.

It's not practical, but were one to finish modding to the ultimate then return to stock for a comparison, you'd notice a more dramatic difference in performance than little by little.

Hope I haven't bored you but that's the basics the way I see it, and can lead to some pretty gratifying car ownership and performance.

Happy modding. and please continue to share your experiences with us.

Have you posted pics of your car yet?

C.

I'm not sure what extreme you were looking at going to but for the effort and $$$ I would never start this journey again without doing a cam and heads first. Or at least a cam and upgraded valve springs.

What will the car run u think in the quarter mile? anyone??

Found a handy site for rough guesstimates of 0-60 and quarter mile times:

Chevrolet 0-60 Times & Chevrolet Quarter Mile Times | Chevy Chevelle SS, Corvette ZO6 0-60, Cobalt, New Camaro 0-60, Blazer and Chevy Monte Carlo 0 to 60 stats!

Yours should be in the 14.4 second quarter mile time and sub 6 second 0-60.

All that depends of mods, state of tune, tires, track/atmospheric conditions and driver.

Good luck with your mods and attaining the level of performance you would like.

C.

Wow....mid 14's is s l o w! Glad I bought mine to cruise, I have never "dragged" a car, I remember once when I was young and stupid and thought I had a fast Camaro, some guy on a bike schooled me big time. From that day forward, I knew that it was pointless. For comparison, my Duc will do mid 10's.....bone stock!

Wow....mid 14's is s l o w! Glad I bought mine to cruise, I have never "dragged" a car, I remember once when I was young and stupid and thought I had a fast Camaro, some guy on a bike schooled me big time. From that day forward, I knew that it was pointless. For comparison, my Duc will do mid 10's.....bone stock!

Yah, performance sort of took a dip in the early 70's and never really recovered to where it was until the 90's. happened to everyone. Still nice rides!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.