Aug 25, 2011
Kootenays SE British Columbia
VetteCoins
Car
1984 Z51
I bought this black 85 vette on ebay for $3000. All it needed was a TPS sensor and paint. So I installed the sensor and phoned around for quotes on the paint. I was quoted anywhere from $5500 to $15000. So with the theme of being a budget build vette:

vette $3000
sensor $100
MAACO $899

It actually turned out great and the paint has stayed nice for 4 years.

With the money you saved, you can paint the car several more times and still be money ahead. It looks pretty decent in the picture and black shows everything. Not everyone wants a show car. They just want a decent driver that they car cruise around with and go to the odd cruise night. Nothing wrong with that. With a $15K paint job, they stone chip too and the shinier the paint job, the more it shows. I think you went the right route and didn't break the bank either. Go to a car lot and see what you can buy for what you have in your car. You have a bargain and a fun car too.

:agree:definetly the right choice and it's likely worth a lot more than what you have in it ...

That's the big question? What is the average price of an early C4 these days? I saw a 93 coupe for $15999 on a car lot last week, so what would you get for an 85 these days. I have to renew my mortgage soon and they always ask what you have and the value of it. I don't want to look crazy in the bank saying $10000 for an 85. I was thinking about $8000 Canadian to tell the bank guy or is that way to high?

It's always a dilemma on how much to put into a car. If keeping it forever, it really doesn't matter but sooner than later, things can change and everything is for sale....like my 66 Chevelle. Getting a house, I'm selling a car I thought I would never sell.

As for the value, I just had a friend sell an 87 is pretty decent shape for $8500 so you may be close for an 85.

It's got very old paint. Maaco would be better than what it has now. I'll post up a pic when I get home.

Here's the old girl. An actual Canadian Malibu SS A51 car, 138 Series SS cars were not available in Canada in 66 (Sales pitch).
Great paint......from 15 feet away (just to kill the sales pitch). :D Asking $24,000.

IMG_1324.jpg

Last edited:
Chevelle is gone, so hopefully that makes you happy. :D

And to keep this relevant. Depending on the Vette and if I'm changing colors, I would definitely go to Maaco here as they sponsored the paint job on my cousin's race car and it turned out great.

Chevelle is gone, so hopefully that makes you happy. :D

And to keep this relevant. Depending on the Vette and if I'm changing colors, I would definitely go to Maaco here as they sponsored the paint job on my cousin's race car and it turned out great.

HIJACKER!!!!!! ----- and the chevelle is still there.:Biggrin:

Oh, hahaha. I meant the Chevelle is gone from my house.

How in depth did they go with the paint job? Did they remove panels or just tape everything off? Any close up pics of the paint?

I just pulled back the car cover haven't drove it since 2014, I just wiped that spot off with a t shirt. Could use a wash and a wax. But it's like a mirror no orange peal. I think they did a good job and yes they just taped off the windows and bag the wheels. They did paint over the corvette on the back but it looks better than before. My driver door window wouldn't roll all the way up and the Maaco ex-cons working there fixed it for free just replaced the little window switch. I think it was $12. For the money they did an extra nice job.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.