HLN A55

High RPM Poster
Jan 27, 2009
Sherwood Park
VetteCoins
Car
2001 Z06
I found this interesting. I bought the April edition of Muscle Car Power magazine. They had am article on "Hot LS Engine Performance Tricks" that I knew I would find interesting.

All the numbers are "out of car" on an engine dyno. See page 77 to verify my numbers...

LS-1 crate motor...

At the stage "3" they had installed a comp cams XER273HR-14 cam in addition to other valve train mods in the previous 2 "stages". At this point they made 431hp @ 5900 and 406 trq @ 5200 rpm.

For Stage 4 the added just a FAST 90 intake and TB (and fuel rails)... the increases were...

+8 hp and +4 trq...

I suppose the debate over the effectiveness of the mod continues and ALSO... these were not RWHP numbers but engine Dyno numbers!!

I'm interested to hear any potential comments on this further.

A good ported FAST90 can get you 18+rwhp with a good tune and the supporting intake/engine/exhuast mods.
If you do not have a high flowing intake, headers, x-pipe and a exhaust then you will not get as good results I
would think, what else was done to the car?

Last edited:
I started with the cold air intake, than headers and then made the jump to an LS6 intake.
I found the LS6 intake to be the least effective in feeling any hp increase. So my point is don't waste your money on the little stuff, buy a blower and have fun.

In this economy right now many people dont have the funds to just go and drop $6-7k on a blower and then $1-2k for the installation.
Other love the sound of a cam'd car with the Lumpy feeliing and sound when at idle, I do and that is why my car is cam'd instead.
Its alot of cash all at once and some find it easier to do mods bit by bit, its your own choice if you have the cash then go for it.

I started with the cold air intake, than headers and then made the jump to an LS6 intake.
I found the LS6 intake to be the least effective in feeling any hp increase. So my point is don't waste your money on the little stuff, buy a blower and have fun.

it's a very subjective thing really.. i could have gone with a blower for not much more but I have to say I'm with Greg... i love the lump off the cam and to quote Manny *Nasty98*... with a cam (and the rest of the associated parts) you're actually making the motor stronger/better and not losing any reliability (maintenance/belts etc)...

again.. to each their own

I need a FAST102 and Nick Williams 102mm throttle body....that's next for me. I wanna crack 500whp NA. lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.