Apr 24, 2014
mississauga
VetteCoins
Car
1975 convertible
Province
ON
While stuck in stop and go traffic in my '75 I heard (and slightly felt) a clunk/click as the car slowly moved forward. It was regular and seemed to occur with each rotation of the tires. After doing it for three or four stop and go's it disappeared. I tried to replicate it in a parking lot and couldn't. Other than that brief occurance the car ran beautifully. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your consideration.

• Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
While stuck in stop and go traffic in my '75 I heard (and slightly felt) a clunk/click as the car slowly moved forward. It was regular and seemed to occur with each rotation of the tires. After doing it for three or four stop and go's it disappeared. I tried to replicate it in a parking lot and couldn't. Other than that brief occurance the car ran beautifully. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your consideration.
Not a C3 expert but check U-joints, rubber snubber on the diffy, and although it usually does it just under initial load, may as well have a look at the swing arm bushings while you're there. Since it disappeared, doesn't sound much like any of these. Maybe it never comes back....

There are so many different things that can make clunk click sounds.
Was it high pitched or low pitched? Was it a clunk and then a clink or the sound was just one of clunk or click?
A click could just be a stone stuck in the tire tread. A clunk could be a drum brake that's a little lose, but could tighten as you backup and it adjusts.

There are so many different things that can make clunk click sounds.
Was it high pitched or low pitched? Was it a clunk and then a clink or the sound was just one of clunk or click?
A click could just be a stone stuck in the tire tread. A clunk could be a drum brake that's a little lose, but could tighten as you backup and it adjusts.
It's difficult to describe. It was like an elastic being stetched and let go with a medium pitch clunk. Car has disc brakes so I doubt a stone would get stuck. I appreciate your thoughts and I realize it could be a lot of things. It sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car. I've considered the differential fluid and gears or a bad axle spline but I think those would be prevaIent at higher speeds and I don't see how they would self correct, also thought about a trim ring or centre cap flexing or a loose lug nut. One of life's great mysteries at the moment. I was hoping perhaps someone had a similar experience. These things are difficult to diagnose when they're no longer acting up. The joys of motoring!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread