guzman31

Casual User
Apr 27, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette C3 1973
Hello,
I bought my vette in 2011 to a french guy, I'm in France. The only things I know is that the car came from Chilliwack in British Columbia.
In 1973 the car was delivered to the big dealer in Lachine, Snyder automobiles. From 1973 to 2008 I don't know the history of my vette.
I would like very much to find any things about it but it's like bumpy path.
I have one of the owner(s) in Canada and the canadian plate number.

If somebody have idea about my questions, I get it
thanks

Hello,
I bought my vette in 2011 to a french guy, I'm in France. The only things I know is that the car came from Chilliwack in British Columbia.
In 1973 the car was delivered to the big dealer in Lachine, Snyder automobiles. From 1973 to 2008 I don't know the history of my vette.
I would like very much to find any things about it but it's like bumpy path.
I have one of the owner(s) in Canada and the canadian plate number.

If somebody have idea about my questions, I get it
thanks

If you can supply us the VIN #, might get lucky with some more information.

That VIN (unfortunately) doesn't reflect a corvette. Let me do some digging though an see what comes up.

A corvette (1973) should start with 1Z37 (coupe) or 1Z67 (convertible).

Cheverolet (all) in 1973 should start with a 1

See this website for some more info, although none of it matches your car's VIN.
- 1973 Chevrolet Vehicle Identification Numbers (vin)

T

Also found this, again not helping you much:
1588076993654.png

From : https://www.genuinegmparts.com/src/pdf/resources/1960-2020_Vincards.pdf

Would imply your car is a Pontiac 'Nothing' with an unknown body type

Something is up with your VIN....I don't believe it belongs with your car.

Do you have any pics?

T

Reactions: ddgermann
I agree... Something is amiss with the VIN. The first digit tells me it was manufacured in Canada but no Corvettes were built here and it doesn't appear to be a Vette VIN.. The check digit is valid but that doesn't mean much. Further digging reveals it as a VIN manufactured by Government of British Columbia in 2003. Makes no sense but that's all I could find.

vin.png

OK let me explain about the points I know.
When I changed the dash harness I discovered the factory voucher and delevery note to the dealer shop inside the dash.
the factory voucher was made in the St Louis plant Missouri dated of may 02 1973
the delivery note addressed to SNYDER AUTOMOBILES LTD 2150 Notre Dame st Lachine 600

I know that one of the owner(s) is called Gregory W.........r which lived in Chilliwack.

I have 2 VIN !? yes,
1) the US GM original VIN # 1Z37J3S422188
behind the windshield.
2) the British Columbia assigned VIN # 2BGV071043S422188
on side of the driver door.

below pictures showing the 2 VIN

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_185254.jpg
    IMG_20200428_185254.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20200428_185121.jpg
    IMG_20200428_185121.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20200428_185139.jpg
    IMG_20200428_185139.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
OK let me explain about the points I know.
When I changed the dash harness I discovered the factory voucher and delevery note to the dealer shop inside the dash.
the factory voucher was made in the St Louis plant Missouri dated of may 02 1973
the delivery note addressed to SNYDER AUTOMOBILES LTD 2150 Notre Dame st Lachine 600

I know that one of the owner(s) is called Gregory W.........r which lived in Chilliwack.

I have 2 VIN !? yes,
1) the US GM original VIN # 1Z37J3S422188
behind the windshield.
2) the British Columbia assigned VIN # 2BGV071043S422188
on side of the driver door.

below pictures showing the 2 VIN
That explains a little more. BC assigned a Vin to the car for some unknown reason in 2003. I would try and contact BC and inquire as to why there was a new VIN assigned to the car. They may have some additional history in their records. Here's the BC info on an assigned Vin and some reasons why. At a closer look, the dash VIN picture you posted also appears to have been tampered with. You can see the rough solder marks.

In addition, the Vin you show as the original is not a valid VIN. The 9th digit in a VIN is a validity check number and that VIN does not have enough digits as well. Something doesn't sit quite right.

Attachments

• assigned-VIN.pdf
    38.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I'm sure my car is a real Chevrolet Corvette with a GM VIN #1Z37J3S422188 and exported to Canada where the ministry of transportation or another else add a BC VIN

Attachments

• photo n°3 18.04.2020.jpg
    photo n°3 18.04.2020.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 37
  • photo n°4 18.04.2020.jpg
    photo n°4 18.04.2020.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 35
  • photo n°2 18.04.2020.jpg
    photo n°2 18.04.2020.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 36
That explains a little more. BC assigned a Vin to the car for some unknown reason in 2003. I would try and contact BC and inquire as to why there was a new VIN assigned to the car. They may have some additional history in their records. Here's the BC info on an assigned Vin and some reasons why.

Thank you Rruuff Day

Beautiful car and by the sounds of it there might be a story behind it. The 'original' VIN looks to be a VIN for a corvette. But it might only be there because the body is a donor or that body part is a donor (ie from another car). I wonder if this one is what is referred to home as a "salvaged car" (I think I have the correct term). In other words the car was put together from more than one vehicle (in this case corvettes). When it came time for the vehicle inspection, the government of BC assigned a VIN because the one in the dash was not an acceptable VIN for this vehicle for registry purposes. Would love to know the story of this corvette myself now.

EDIT, I should have the Document Rruuff Day posted first. It could be as simple as a dash replacement at some point that required the BC assigned VIN.

Last edited:
Beautiful car and by the sounds of it there might be a story behind it. The 'original' VIN looks to be a VIN for a corvette. But it might only be there because the body is a donor or that body part is a donor (ie from another car). I wonder if this one is what is referred to home as a "salvaged car" (I think I have the correct term). In other words the car was put together from more than one vehicle (in this case corvettes). When it came time for the vehicle inspection, the government of BC assigned a VIN because the one in the dash was not an acceptable VIN for this vehicle for registry purposes. Would love to know the story of this corvette myself now.

EDIT, I should have the Document Rruuff Day posted first. It could be as simple as a dash replacement at some point that required the BC assigned VIN.

You mean the car was in an accident and the repairer used the parts on another corvette ?
I have nothing about that possible case, just that the engine is not the original.
But what's the story before that situation ? I think there's no issue of that. The knowed owner does not answer me.

As others have said: The "original" VIN is a valid 1973 corvette VIN.
1= Cheverolet
Z= Corvette
37 = Coupe
J = 350 4bbl
3 = 1973
S= St Louis Assembly Plant
422188 = Production Order

I would wonder if it is possible that the BC registration software can't handle a (now) non-standard 17 digit VIN and so they assigned on to it? Or like stated already the original VIN tag was damaged/removed for some reason so they made a new one?

Didn't add much to what others already said but it it what I was thinking.

T

• Useful
Reactions: ddgermann
As others have said: The "original" VIN is a valid 1973 corvette VIN.
1= Cheverolet
Z= Corvette
37 = Coupe
J = 350 4bbl
3 = 1973
S= St Louis Assembly Plant
422188 = Production Order

I would wonder if it is possible that the BC registration software can't handle a (now) non-standard 17 digit VIN and so they assigned on to it? Or like stated already the original VIN tag was damaged/removed for some reason so they made a new one?

Didn't add much to what others already said but it it what I was thinking.

T
I was under the understanding that the original VIN should have been 17 digits. The original VIN Guz posted was only 13. The BC VIN was 17 ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread