For a non-3D TV, I'd go with the Samsung UN55C6500 LED (and I will be in a couple of months). These new models did away with the LED edgelighting problems of the previous LED models. All of the 3D models also fixed the problem. That said, if you watch a lot of sports, car racing etc, go with a plasma. LCD's are pretty much phased out by the big manufacturers now by the LED's.

It can be worse, although I don't believe the new ones are as bad as they used to be. The newer Samsung plasma that my friend has is fantastic, there is no glare on it in his living room, but it depends on where you're putting it. If there's going to be a lot of windows with light coming in, you might get glare with any of the TV's.

As for brands, I'd stick with Samsung, Sony, or Panasonic. They're great TV's, the Panasonic and Samsung are the better bang for your buck. Whatever you do, do NOT buy an LG. Very horrible technology in those things.

I recently bought a new Samsung 52" LCD/ LED and love it.
I replaced a 50" Sony LED with this unit and it is light years ahead in every aspect.

There are some great deals out there. At Most places even the large box stores, you can still beat them down on the advertised price.
I bought a 4 year warranty on the Sony. At 3 years & 8 months I started to get a blue dot in the corner which continued to grow. Future shop gave me $1400.00 toward the new Samsung.
As you can guess I did the same warranty on the samsung. Hope it breaks down within 4 years :canada:

Last edited:
It's amazing how much markup there is on new TV's. I can get the new 55" Samsung 3D that they're selling for $3699 for $2900. When a TV is new, it has the most markup. It helps to know someone that works at the store.

I really like the Samsungs, and that's what I'll be purchasing. They are really pushing the LED technology. I've been a Sony person all my life, and I won't be buying one as my next TV.

I recently bought a new Samsung 52" LCD/ LED and love it.
I replaced a 50" Sony LED with this unit and it is light years ahead in every aspect.

There are some great deals out there. At Most places even the large box stores, you can still beat them down on the advertised price.:canada:

Love the HD have had it for years with Bell and my old widescreen tube tv, beastly heavy to carry.
I currently have a HD feed and LCD tv but is getting old and want to upgrade most likely to a LED,
no 3D here does not really interest me and think its a big fad that will die out eventually.

Love the HD have had it for years with Bell and my old widescreen tube tv, beastly heavy to carry.
I currently have a HD feed and LCD tv but is getting old and want to upgrade most likely to a LED,
no 3D here does not really interest me and think its a big fad that will die out eventually.

I agree, that's why I'm going with the Samsung UN55C6500, you don't pay the premium on it for 3D.

I think 3D will stick around. Sports in 3D would be awesome. So would watching racing or playing video games. For the first while I expect the 3D programing to be pretty lame and full of crap that comes off the screen to surprise you. Once the novelty wears off and they actually make good 3D programs is when I think I would invest. By that time they will be cheap too! Especially considering that they already make 120Hz and 240Hz tv's. All your paying for now is $2000 for a $50 chip.

I watched a new Samsung 3D tv tonight at the future shop and I can say the picture and 3D was better then I thought.
That being said I would not at this time purchase a 3D tv but wait and see how things pan out.
They have an option to convert your standard tv or dvd player input to a 3D picture but the quality was no where near
that of the 3D blue-ray player.
The glasses work by switching of the LCD lenes off and on while flipping the two images on the screen thus you see the
left image with the left eye and the right image with the right as they are flipping at 60 times per second.
Downfall the price of the glasses are $250 each and anyone in the room while watching 3D tv sees a dual or blurred image
without the glasses. Anways still reading and cruising the stores for more information.

I'm surprised they don't just have the polarized lens glasses and change the way the waves hit the glasses like the system the movies use...then again, you can make a lot more money off $250 glasses than $10 glasses.

It's not possible as far as I know to polarize two overlapping images on an active display, whereas with a projector shooting on a silver screen, they can alternate two images at different polarity more easily.

I am thinking the 3D tv's are just a fad and will fizzle out eventually.
Decided to get myself a fathers day gift and with a few Future shop
cards I had kicking around went and picked up a 40" Samsung LED tv.
The picture quality and brightness is fantastic, put the Blueray movie
LIFE into our Pioneer BDP-51FD player (amazing sound quality) and
a almost real like picture. For the price I am more then happy with the
new tv and with a profile of just over 1" deep its a far cry from the old
LCD unit we where using. Back to watching another movie or two.....:)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.