You cant go wrong with a C4 Take a look at 1988 to 1996 they are all very nice rides.From 1994 to 1996 they are the the refined up to date for the time and a good value to purchase.Not much to look out for or be afraid of,the optispark distributor on some LT1 models had some issues but there is always a way around this.What ever you decide on the C4 is great corvette it does not get the love it deserves by many,do not let this decide for you i have had a very nice 1988 C4 that was one of the very best cars i have ever had.

Kent:D Good luck on your choice you will love the C4

Ken is right, the C4 does not get the respect it deserves. There is a lot of good one out there. Just take your time looking at them The right one will present itself.

C4's are mainly divided into two groups. Early c4 1984 - 1990. And 91 to 96. The 84 had the crossfire motor. 85 to 91 had the L98, and the Lt1 started in 92. There is a few better cars in the C4 class. Starting 90 a ZR1 was introduced with the LT5 engine. And the 96 had the Grand Sport option with the LT4 engine. There is also some body style, and interior differences in the early to later models.

The early cars had 16 inch wheels until the optional 17 inch came out in 88 with Z51/52 packages. It is getting harder to find tires for those smaller rims, so better off with the 17 inch. Of course no one likes most of the early wheels, so most cars have been changed. The basic 88 wheel is only 16 inch, but a hard wheel to find. Getting good $ for them on ebay.

With the budget you mention, I would be looking for a 96 Grand Sport. Arguably the best C4 ever made. The 96 CE would also fill the bill. Or just forget the C4 and have a look at some C5's. They are really coming down in price and are great cars also.

Don't be in a rush...lots of cars out there. It's a buyers market.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Look for cars with lower mileage with a service history. Remember, they are getting to be an older car, for $20K, that is GS and ZR1 money....GREAT cars, should be in great shape. Stay away from cars that are less than top shape. Broken bits and missing crap adds up and shows neglect. I paid about $9K for my '88 Z51 Coupe and have been very happy with it. Prices are starting to come up on nice examples.....get in on the ground floor.

Not a C4 but in your price range and a beautiful car
1998 Chevrolet Corvette targa Hatchback | used cars & trucks | City of Toronto | Kijiji

Another good choice
1995 corvette 6speed | used cars & trucks | Markham / York Region | Kijiji

Interior needs work but $1500 will fix up the interior. You will have enough money left for stainless exhaust and turbo/ supercharger :D:D:D
1987 Chevrolet Corvette certified | used cars & trucks | Oshawa / Durham Region | Kijiji

Right price for mileage
1984 corvette | classic cars | Mississauga / Peel Region | Kijiji

You can have this one and still have quite a bit out of $20K. Less than 70K miles too. If it hasn't seen winter, and hasn't been abused, it should still have a lot of good years left in the car. If you go for a 1992 or newer you get the 300 hp LT1 which is a nice jump in power over the L98 and the L98 is a very nice running engine too. Get impatient and it is almost a guarantee that you will end up kicking yourself. I've seen it happen too often.

1995 corvette 6speed | used cars & trucks | Markham / York Region | Kijiji

Last edited:
what you looking to get out of it? you plan on modding it? stock cruiser?

Great question. I hope to keep it stock. Take it to local shows. Cruise in the summer. That is all. I do like the grand sport for the collectibility, but from what I have seen the prices are WAY TOO HIGH !!! I think that a 1996 collectors edition with the LT4 engine is nice enough and in my price range. Zr1 would be nice but also too expensive.

Great question. I hope to keep it stock. Take it to local shows. Cruise in the summer. That is all. I do like the grand sport for the collectibility, but from what I have seen the prices are WAY TOO HIGH !!! I think that a 1996 collectors edition with the LT4 engine is nice enough and in my price range. Zr1 would be nice but also too expensive.

I found a nice CE LT4 convertible last year.....it was $20K....has 57,000KM's and was not only a Canadian car from the factory but was a local car from my province of BC.....purchased last July 2014

Good luck with your search!!!! They are great cars....

:canada:
Russell
CE3.jpg
CE8.jpg

I saw a pretty nice LT4 Collector Edition in Alberta for sale. It was not totally stock but pretty low mileage and a Canadian car....price was not bad either...

1996 Chevrolet Corvette Collector Edition for $21,000 in STRATHMORE | autoTRADER.ca

:canada:

Ive got a 84 with 72,000 original kms on it. Owned since 85. Wont find a cleaner one out there. Professionally appraised on dec 15,2014 at $21,700
Can upload pics later if you like ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.