Jul 14, 2011
Comox, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2021 Stingray HTC
Province
BC
I have some light scratches in my 96 CE convertible. Maybe a total of 6. I want to polish and wax my car over the winter. I purchased some Meguirs professional 'swirl remover' it has a scale on the front of the bottle and is a #3. I used a 10 inch Simoniz orbital polisher and it didn't really do much to the area.
How long should I work the compound into the area? I worked it in for about 90 seconds.
I was thinking I should move up to something that cuts a bit better maybe? Any suggestions? I am fairly new to this but feel with some advice I can figure this out.

Thanks Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no experience with the Mequires products.
So I will tell you what worked for me. Zanio Fusion applied with a porter cable 7424 xp random orbit polisher.
To make a long process a little smaller:
1 Make sure car is stripped of all wax.
2 clay the car to make sure it is clean
3use a medium to low cut pad on the porter cable and some of the Zanio Fusion. I did the entire car, and do it almost every spring with some other products.
4 now you are ready for a coat of polish. Recommend Zanio Z5
5 now you can put a few coats of Zanio Z2 on for a great shine. Always use Z6 detailer between coats.
6now if you really want to make it look better than new, put a coat of Zanio Clear Seal.

Before you start any of this, do some reading. There is lots of information on the web in this regards. Lots of videos also. I often use Adams detailer between polishes. Adam's is also great products. Check out their web site for how to videos and reviews........

In my opinion, the Simonize buffer is a waste of time...........

Good luck.

I have no experience with the Mequires products.

So I will tell you what worked for me. Zanio Fusion applied with a porter cable 7424 xp random orbit polisher.

To make a long process a little smaller:

1 Make sure car is stripped of all wax.

2 clay the car to make sure it is clean

3use a medium to low cut pad on the porter cable and some of the Zanio Fusion. I did the entire car, and do it almost every spring with some other products.

4 now you are ready for a coat of polish. Recommend Zanio Z5

5 now you can put a few coats of Zanio Z2 on for a great shine. Always use Z6 detailer between coats.

6now if you really want to make it look better than new, put a coat of Zanio Clear Seal.

Before you start any of this, do some reading. There is lots of information on the web in this regards. Lots of videos also. I often use Adams detailer between polishes. Adam's is also great products. Check out their web site for how to videos and reviews........

In my opinion, the Simonize buffer is a waste of time...........

Good luck.

That sounds like great advice. I will start shopping for a quality polisher. I see CT has them as a stock item. I appreciate the help.

Has anyone used a 'cyclo' polisher. They look like they are super tough. Dual wheels. Porter cable looks good and so does Flex 3401. Any opinions would be appreciated. I am new to detailing so I would like something with a smallish to medium learning curve, hopefully.

That Cyclo Polisher looks ok. But it is one that I am not familiar with. I wonder how ready available are the pads. I also wonder about high spots on the car and two buffer heads???

The porter cable is offered through almost ever detail shop. One for cost, and ease of use. There are lots of pads available also. I bought mine at E-Shine and use the Lake County 6" pads.

I agree with Brian. Porter Cable makes quality products, I suspect a once in a lifetime buy if you take care of it. I would think replacement parts would not be an issue with the PC unit

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for your inputs. I purchased the PC unit from a local tool supply store for $129 plus tax. I thought that was pretty good. I have ordered chemical guys backing pad and HexLogic foam pads 4 different ones, some cutting polish and I have everything else so I will wait for my products to arrive from Amazon.ca and see what I can do. Thanks for your input and suggestions. I am glad to have this forum to ask questions and get advice.

I have to add that all you have to do is look at Brian's car to realize that he really knows what he is talking about. Just so he doesn't get a big head I must mention that this doesn't apply to everything he says :)

hey russell check out these detailing guides. they are pretty helpful. i would also suspect that the prices on products are better here than on amazon aswell.

OTAS Guide to Machine Polishing | Olde Town Auto Spa Canada

here is the list of all the guides....

http://www.oldetownautospa.ca/blogs/news

Thanks for the link. Great advice and steps to taking care of my baby. I will do before and after photos of a couple of scratches that I am going to attempt to remove. Waiting for my buffing pads and backing plate to arrive before I get started. My biggest problem is that work gets in the way of all these important projects I have to do!!

hey russell check out these detailing guides. they are pretty helpful. i would also suspect that the prices on products are better here than on amazon aswell.

OTAS Guide to Machine Polishing | Olde Town Auto Spa Canada

here is the list of all the guides....

Guides | Olde Town Auto Spa

Certainly some good information here.
Take your time. No rush to get things done. Spring is a ways off yet. You will do a much better job if you attach it with the knowledge gained in some simple education.

Certainly some good information here.

Take your time. No rush to get things done. Spring is a ways off yet. You will do a much better job if you attach it with the knowledge gained in some simple education.

Thanks for the encouragement. I will take my time and become educated about the process.

A lot of people like a Meguiars combination of 105 (more aggressive) followed by 205 then topped with a sealant and/or wax for protection. Always try the least aggressive polish first to knock down swirls/scratches. I use a Porter Cable 7424XP.

I like good old fashioned elbow grease. Not too sure about scratches, but I take a lot of pride on my paint ( my vette is black and some of the members that know me might attest). In any case, Zaino seems great. Something that works almost as well but MUCH less complicated is Rejex. Great for swirls, and one coat will do you.

I picked something else up from a supplier in Edmonton that was said to be even better but haven't used it. Will post results in a future thread come spring.

Good stuff Vince. Interesting to hear you've compared Rejex to Zaino.

I'm not surprised that Zaino might be better due to the complexity of application and am wondering if any part of the Zaino process involves a slight abrasion material. (better for dealing with scratches).

Waiting to hear of the "something else" you've found when you get to it in the spring.

Cheers,
Colin.

I'm in vancouver. I will check when I get home. I I sister on a great claybar treatment before the rejex goes on. And I have yet to come across a polisher thst works as well as my own hands.........just my two cents.

I actually got really into detailing this last summer--well exterior detailing anyways. I wish I did zaino my car to compare. I've tried several and if simplicity and results are bith important, rejex is great. Can't screw rejex up too. That's sweet for beginners.

I hear this other product is great. Not sure if it's because it had the best margins from the supplier or if it's truly great. Supplier said better than anything else including zaino.

I have my doubts but am excited to try!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.