Jul 1, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
1994 Convertible
Province
NL
Hi folks,

I decided to start a thread showing what I've come up with for LED replacement options for our cars. This will be a living thread.

First, I found some decent wedge-style replacements for the amber & red side marker lights and the amber interior floods in the doors/mirror. They're a bit brighter than the incandescent bulbs so the amber lights look slightly more yellow, but also far more visable.

I actually ordered these with PC74/T5 sockets thinking they'd be correct for the DIC lamps also, but not the case. I suspect these bulbs would probably fit the dash switch back lighting and possibly the switch back lighting for the mirror/window switches also.

Amazon product

I ordered these and some T10 twist sockets hoping these will be suitable for my cluster lights. These are softer white using a single SMD with a diffuser so hopefully won't be too bright. We'll see, assuming I can ever find the time to tackle that job. These fit the gear position indicator lamp also - I know it is supposed to be amber, but mine was blown and I had the console apart to look at the DIC lamps anyway so I replaced it with a white one for now. I'll have the console apart again at some point soon anyway.

Here are my replacement fog lamp bulbs. I haven't tested these yet as I have to alter the ground wiring on the fog lamp relay (it is grounded through the high beam filament, which doesn't exist now that my headlights are LED - see below).

I replaced my headlights with GE Nighthawk LED 5x7 units. Expensive, but a HUGE lighting upgrade. Easy swap with one caveat. Due to the fog lamp relay grounding scheme using the high beam filament (to prevent the relay from actuating if the high beams are engaged), the relay ground needs to be changed to chassis. Easy fix, but I'm putting that off until my floor flood LED bulbs arrive. It does mean that the fog lamps can be on with the high beams or low beams (or with just the park lights), but do we really care? I don't.

I have these coming for the floor floods and cargo area lamp. I ordered green but these are available in several colors.

I used these for my under hood lamps and door courtesy lamps. Again, I used green but these are available in several colors.

I have a bunch of 1156 LED bulbs (Sylvania) that I sourced locally for the cornering lamps and reverse lamps, but these don't seat properly in the factory bulb sockets. I don't know if the sockets are just old and worn or if the LED bases aren't exactly to spec. The incandescent bulbs fit fine. I'll be following up on that.

More to come!

Here's a pic of how the LED bulbs look in the markers. Pardon the flare on the amber. The red in the rear is a better indication of brightness.

Attachments

• 20200807_212052_resized.jpg
    20200807_212052_resized.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 61
thank you so much for the time you put into finding all this. you saved me a ton of time! looks very good and would love to see more when you get everything else up and running. Definitely have been looking into something like this b/c i have found the lights to be a bit more dim then I'm used too.

Reactions: 2KforeverC5
thank you so much for the time you put into finding all this. you saved me a ton of time! looks very good and would love to see more when you get everything else up and running. Definitely have been looking into something like this b/c i have found the lights to be a bit more dim then I'm used too.

No problem! Happy to help out. Incandescent bulbs will dim a bit over time but these weren't all that bright even in their day. I'd love to replace the cluster lights as I find those a little on the dull side. I'll definitely report on that once I get the correct sockets and find the time and energy to tackle it. Getting the dash out isn't exactly simple, but I need to fix a couple of other things in there too so it'll be well worth the adventure.

Reactions: Rubano87
Hi folks,

I decided to start a thread showing what I've come up with for LED replacement options for our cars. This will be a living thread.

First, I found some decent wedge-style replacements for the amber & red side marker lights and the amber interior floods in the doors/mirror. They're a bit brighter than the incandescent bulbs so the amber lights look slightly more yellow, but also far more visable.

I actually ordered these with PC74/T5 sockets thinking they'd be correct for the DIC lamps also, but not the case. I suspect these bulbs would probably fit the dash switch back lighting and possibly the switch back lighting for the mirror/window switches also.

Amazon product

I ordered these and some T10 twist sockets hoping these will be suitable for my cluster lights. These are softer white using a single SMD with a diffuser so hopefully won't be too bright. We'll see, assuming I can ever find the time to tackle that job. These fit the gear position indicator lamp also - I know it is supposed to be amber, but mine was blown and I had the console apart to look at the DIC lamps anyway so I replaced it with a white one for now. I'll have the console apart again at some point soon anyway.

Here are my replacement fog lamp bulbs. I haven't tested these yet as I have to alter the ground wiring on the fog lamp relay (it is grounded through the high beam filament, which doesn't exist now that my headlights are LED - see below).

I replaced my headlights with GE Nighthawk LED 5x7 units. Expensive, but a HUGE lighting upgrade. Easy swap with one caveat. Due to the fog lamp relay grounding scheme using the high beam filament (to prevent the relay from actuating if the high beams are engaged), the relay ground needs to be changed to chassis. Easy fix, but I'm putting that off until my floor flood LED bulbs arrive. It does mean that the fog lamps can be on with the high beams or low beams (or with just the park lights), but do we really care? I don't.

I have these coming for the floor floods and cargo area lamp. I ordered green but these are available in several colors.

I used these for my under hood lamps and door courtesy lamps. Again, I used green but these are available in several colors.

I have a bunch of 1156 LED bulbs (Sylvania) that I sourced locally for the cornering lamps and reverse lamps, but these don't seat properly in the factory bulb sockets. I don't know if the sockets are just old and worn or if the LED bases aren't exactly to spec. The incandescent bulbs fit fine. I'll be following up on that.

More to come!

I replaced my C5 with LED just the low beams and their great. The problem now ia that the ups don’t want to close. Any idea what went wrong. And suggestions??? Hope just an easy fix. Worst come worst I’ll just do them manual. I know that sucks. Help anybody !!!😳😤

Hi folks,

Amazon product

More to come!

Would really want to know what the easy fix would be regarding ground from high beams cuz when installed my low beam LED it flickers even when of and the pop ups remain open. Quick fix was disconnect the low beam and manually lower the pop ups then remove the fuse for pop ups. No more headlights. Daytime driver only.

Hi 2KforeverC5, If I remember right, the high beam ground is through the low beams and when putting the LED in the low beams, this gets messed up. I can't remember the fix for it though but I would suspect that it involves installing a new high beam ground in the wiring harness. Hope you get it sorted out sooner rather than later and let the rest of us know if you do. Good Luck.

Hi 2KforeverC5, If I remember right, the high beam ground is through the low beams and when putting the LED in the low beams, this gets messed up. I can't remember the fix for it though but I would suspect that it involves installing a new high beam ground in the wiring harness. Hope you get it sorted out sooner rather than later and let the rest of us know if you do. Good Luck.
Thanks. I wonder if a high beam LED would solve the problem. I disconnected the low beams LED but still the pop ups are up. I just manually closed it and remove the fuse for the left and right pop up. No more headlights. Driving during the day only. 😄😎🥂😷

Hmmmm, good question that I wished I knew the answer to. I wonder if you had high beam LEDs and halogen low beams if it would work. I think that would tell us that the ground runs through the low beams. Or it just might confuse us even more LOL

Hmmmm, good question that I wished I knew the answer to. I wonder if you had high beam LEDs and halogen low beams if it would work. I think that would tell us that the ground runs through the low beams. Or it just might confuse us even more LOL
Yes the thing is I don’t want to spend and not be able to return it. Im now stock with low beam LED that I can’t use because of whatever. Im just going back to the original Halogen. Play it safe. Thanks😳😎🥂😷

Reactions: 12cents
Hi folks,

Amazon product

More to come!

How’d you that relay wire yo chassis? Would help me to be able with my low beam LED. Cuz they flicker when off. Share please. Thanks 🙏🏽

How’d you that relay wire yo chassis? Would help me to be able with my low beam LED. Cuz they flicker when off. Share please. Thanks 🙏🏽
I haven't actually gotten around to it yet. There's gotta be an existing chassis ground down there with the block of relays.

I haven't noticed any issues with flickering. Does it happen when parked or while driving or both? Hard to notice while driving I guess.

I haven't actually gotten around to it yet. There's gotta be an existing chassis ground down there with the block of relays.

I haven't noticed any issues with flickering. Does it happen when parked or while driving or both? Hard to notice while driving I guess.
It remains flickering even when engine is off so I had to unhook connections so there’s no low beams plus the pop ups won’t close so just manually put it close and remove the fuse for pop ups. 😳

It remains flickering even when engine is off so I had to unhook connections so there’s no low beams plus the pop ups won’t close so just manually put it close and remove the fuse for pop ups. 😳
You have a C5 though, right? The wiring scheme is likely different than my C4. Without that shop manual not much I can tell you!

Thanks. I finally decided to put the OEM back and everything is back to normal. Hopefully I’ll find a halogen that’s a little bit brighter. For now this will do. I’ll see what I can do with my fog lights !!!😄😳

Thanks. I finally decided to put the OEM back and everything is back to normal. Hopefully I’ll find a halogen that’s a little bit brighter. For now this will do. I’ll see what I can do with my fog lights !!!😄😳
By the way anybody wants an LED for C5? You can have it for half the price $65.00 still boxed. 😄😳

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread