Jun 4, 2017
Martensville, SK
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette, 2023, Z51
Province
SK
Snapshot of the latest Car and Driver cover. Not sure if I’m a fan. Looks too much like a Ferrari.

Attachments

• CCD90739-D51C-4DCD-A20F-426C75369397.jpeg
    CCD90739-D51C-4DCD-A20F-426C75369397.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Some more snaps from Car and Driver

Attachments

• 507BF339-A7C7-4524-9B33-92A0AA801CAB.jpeg
    507BF339-A7C7-4524-9B33-92A0AA801CAB.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 91A626C2-CA0A-4162-879B-49B7D6F020B5.jpeg
    91A626C2-CA0A-4162-879B-49B7D6F020B5.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 7EE12410-C3C5-4BE2-A2E5-8054D284CB5F.jpeg
    7EE12410-C3C5-4BE2-A2E5-8054D284CB5F.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: Rruuff Day
A few other notes from the article. No standard will be offered. Dual clutch 8 speed automatic. Also that there will be twin turbochargers and two inter coolers. I’m assuming on the upgraded engine. An electric motor is anticipated in the future.

I like everything but the rear fenders. Still think it would look great in black and CF though.

Let’s see what the actual car looks like.

I was in the Owners School in Spring Mountain with a GM electrical designer / engineer from Detroit. (Real good guy) He told me the C8 is far from unveiled and very few have got to see the real car assembled. He said they use a series of differerent versions. This car is especially gaurded and he mentioned GM has gone to extreme lengths to hide the final appearance. He was a very interesting guy to talk to.
I expect the engine and mechanical features are pretty close to correct as this has been revealed many times over the last 6 months.
I for one am excited to get a look at the car. Maybe Spence and I will get lucky again on our next trip to Spring Mountain and they will roll 25 of them in like they did for us with the ZR1s 2 weeks ago. :Biggrin:

Thanks for posting that DDH.

Can they sell it for $150K? If so, I'm interested....beyond that, I have a hard time justifying it.

I agree mostly. The more I think about this new platform for the C8 and the possibilities with the mid engine design, I see this as a car that could be configured and optioned to range from 65K to 200K. Like you I think 150K is the ceiling for a C8 Corvette with the performance and options levels you and I both have now with our C7s. But.. What if they offered the 200K version with the electric front drive assist and 800+ HP? Maybe call it the "ZR1"? A similar release as the C7 ZR1... Let the Z06 rule for a couple years and hammer us with the new C8 ZR1.
Yes the front drive is speculation based on rumors... but would that change your mind? I am really pondering that one.

So the C7 gets phased out in a few years and the C8 is available in the price range from say 65K - 200K with different models in options and performance. I have to admit the idea is attractive. It's frankly very much like the C7 is today when you look at it now that the C7 ZR1 is in the fleet.

Last edited:
Could be a possibility. They have a facility that can make 30,000 cars a year.....then it was expanded for the C8. So, for them to move the C8 up to a halo car with a starting price of $150,000, then phase out the C7 without leaving a cost comparable option, I can't see it. Either they are splitting the Corvette into 2 lines permanently, one front engine, one mid, or they are going to use the first few years of the C8 to warm Corvette people up to the mid engine while designing a cost comparable replacement for the C7 so after a while, they'll all be mid engine. Should they do that, I really hope they would develop a manual transmission for the car.

Other than that, I like the design. Even though I find it a bit plain, the shape is really good.

.. Maybe Spence and I will get lucky again on our next trip to Spring Mountain and they will roll 25 of them in like they did for us with the ZR1s 2 weeks ago. :Biggrin: ...
Shhhh Derek ... I don't think I shared with you what I was told to look for when the C8 is to most likely arrive at Spring Mountain ...
I don't recall chatting with that fella that you did about the C8 as that would have been awesome conversation
... people might be watching our travel plans next spring as I know what hints to look for in the COS that may open the door for an opportunity like the one we just enjoyed ...

Reactions: ddgermann
I agree mostly. The more I think about this new platform for the C8 and the possibilities with the mid engine design, I see this as a car that could be configured and optioned to range from 65K to 200K. Like you I think 150K is the ceiling for a C8 Corvette with the performance and options levels you and I both have now with our C7s. But.. What if they offered the 200K version with the electric front drive assist and 800+ HP? Maybe call it the "ZR1"? A similar release as the C7 ZR1... Let the Z06 rule for a couple years and hammer us with the new C8 ZR1.
Yes the front drive is speculation based on rumors... but would that change your mind? I am really pondering that one.

So the C7 gets phased out in a few years and the C8 is available in the price range from say 65K - 200K with different models in options and performance. I have to admit the idea is attractive. It's frankly very much like the C7 is today when you look at it now that the C7 ZR1 is in the fleet.

JMHO but I think you're off in pricing. You can recover somewhat by indicating the $ 65,000 is US dollars.... but really. Most of us are not buying a US car with US dollars. That being said, and if that number was US coin, that equates to about $ 85,000 to $90,000 Cdn. I think that's light as well. There's a ton of re-design costs for GM to try and recover and they would no doubt like to try and recover the lion's share of that cost in the first couple years....mostly because the mid engine won't turn out to have the mass appeal that the previous generations had (and have). Especially with the C7 sales numbers they have realized.

After all...where does the luggage go, suitcases, cooler, golf clubs, targa roof panel.... This is a halo car... and those of us that buy one will still have a C5, C6, or C7 in the garage for those cruises when we need to carry more than just what's in our pockets.

So... if the price point is indeed where I am projecting, GM will definately still be producing a generation that appeals to the 35,000 to 40,000 buyers they have now and don't want to lose.

I may be on cheap drugs and not thinking clearly but I'm sticking with my forecast Just in case anyone is interested, here is my guess at pricing from last August .... In Cdn dollars...I'm still there..... Thoughts everyone?

Would You Have Bought a C8?

JMHO but I think you're off in pricing. You can recover somewhat by indicating the $ 65,000 is US dollars.... but really. Most of us are not buying a US car with US dollars. That being said, and if that number was US coin, that equates to about $ 85,000 to $90,000 Cdn. I think that's light as well. There's a ton of re-design costs for GM to try and recover and they would no doubt like to try and recover the lion's share of that cost in the first couple years....mostly because the mid engine won't turn out to have the mass appeal that the previous generations had (and have). Especially with the C7 sales numbers they have realized.

After all...where does the luggage go, suitcases, cooler, golf clubs, targa roof panel.... This is a halo car... and those of us that buy one will still have a C5, C6, or C7 in the garage for those cruises when we need to carry more than just what's in our pockets.

So... if the price point is indeed where I am projecting, GM will definately still be producing a generation that appeals to the 35,000 to 40,000 buyers they have now and don't want to lose.

I may be on cheap drugs and not thinking clearly but I'm sticking with my forecast Just in case anyone is interested, here is my guess at pricing from last August .... In Cdn dollars...I'm still there..... Thoughts everyone?

Would You Have Bought a C8?

This has been one of the best debates I’ve seen on CCF Eric.

Consider GM phasing out the C7. They would have to have a car that is close to the price of a lower optioned C7. Maybe a bit higher but close as this is a huge portion of their market. It would be incredibly stupid to alienate 1/2 of their existing and potential customer base. I cannot imagine they invested that kind of $$ to make an elitist supercar that is reachable to a small portion of their target market. Hasn’t and Isn’t Corvette still marketed as the working mans ultimate sports car?
I do not remember Ford announcements about the big investment in facilities to build the new GT. Thus the price and very limited production. (an application to buy a car.... lol) Sure it worked for them and was marketed and targeted to a specific buyer. The still have some incredible mustangs out there and an even more amazing one coming now. One for the masses to afford.
So I do not compare the C8 and GT this way.

One thing I’m happy about is that I do not golf. You are likely right about the storage space. I am however expecting something very clever with the roof panel and it not being required to actually remove out of the cab. Let’s see what they roll out.
Yes prices always trend up... been to a movie lately? Wow
However I’m hopeful GM makes a C8 Corvette that’s comparable to the prices, performance and option ranges we now have with the C7. Really has there ever been more choices than there is now with the Corvette?

:Lurk5:

Shhhh Derek ... I don't think I shared with you what I was told to look for when the C8 is to most likely arrive at Spring Mountain ...
I don't recall chatting with that fella that you did about the C8 as that would have been awesome conversation
... people might be watching our travel plans next spring as I know what hints to look for in the COS that may open the door for an opportunity like the one we just enjoyed ...

Haha Spence. Yes I’m counting on your intel to get us there just in time. Admit it man... you picked our time for S Mtn this year.... and look what happened. You know someone down there.. lol.
The guy was the tall slim dude with the short hair I was drinking wine with the second night. He sat beside me in class. Super nice guy. Great attitude. And he looked as silly as me with the shiny new Piloti shoes on. He was fast on the track too. :Biggrin:

This has been one of the best debates I’ve seen on CCF Eric.

Consider GM phasing out the C7. They would have to have a car that is close to the price of a lower optioned C7. Maybe a bit higher but close as this is a huge portion of their market. It would be incredibly stupid to alienate 1/2 of their existing and potential customer base. I cannot imagine they invested that kind of $$ to make an elitist supercar that is reachable to a small portion of their target market. Hasn’t and Isn’t Corvette still marketed as the working mans ultimate sports car?
I do not remember Ford announcements about the big investment in facilities to build the new GT. Thus the price and very limited production. (an application to buy a car.... lol) Sure it worked for them and was marketed and targeted to a specific buyer. The still have some incredible mustangs out there and an even more amazing one coming now. One for the masses to afford.
So I do not compare the C8 and GT this way.

One thing I’m happy about is that I do not golf. You are likely right about the storage space. I am however expecting something very clever with the roof panel and it not being required to actually remove out of the cab. Let’s see what they roll out.
Yes prices always trend up... been to a movie lately? Wow
However I’m hopeful GM makes a C8 Corvette that’s comparable to the prices, performance and option ranges we now have with the C7. Really has there ever been more choices than there is now with the Corvette?

:Lurk5:

Lol... Debate is the third most stimulating thing one can do Derek...

I agree.... somewhat...hehe.... GM needs to produce something to contiue to appeal to the working man's sportscar dream... But as a former working man, I bought my first Corvette for a couple specific reasons over and above loving the Corvette. There's nothing I would have loved more than having a 67 Stingray in my garage.... cruise the weekend show and shines, turning heads downtown...oohs and ahhs.... And for the price point of a C7 any one of us can have a restored C2.... woohoo... But.....I also wanted a dependable sports car I could comfortably cruise 500 km a day in... A car that Brenda and I could load up with a cooler, my small duffel bag and her 10 cu. ft. suitcase (slight exaggeration).... and take off for an extended two week vacation Corvette run.... As much as the C2 is a sweet auto, I couldn't see loading it up and driving it across Canada or the US in comfort....

So for me, if it's gonna be my only one, it had to be functional for our lifestyle purposes as well.

Now....The C8 mid engine will likely be a comfortable sports car... that will turn heads.... go like helll... handle like a dream..... and dependable.... But how much luggage can you put in it.... Will a 16 " tall electric cooler (as well as the forementioned luggage) fit behind.... or in front of the seats... Thats the thing that probably wouldn't cut it for me.... The C6 and now the C7 meets my needs as a gorgeous sports car with power to spare and the head turning looks to go with them. Comfort and dependability on long extended cruises and trips, and 15 cu. ft. of cargo space. And with some inventive packing techniques, I can still store the targa top in there as well. In mid engine comparison, the GTR has 8.8 cu. ft. of cargo room, the A8 has 8, the NSX and the 911 Carrera both have 4 cu. ft. That's 1 small duffel bag and the cooler goes on the floor at Brenda's feet. (and just for giggles Murray and Riley, the Fiero had 5.85 Cu. ft.

For the working mans sports car that has a wife and wants similar things from his sports car that Brenda and I do, the mid engine C8 probably isn't going to make the grade.... So here's hoping we are correct and GM pays heed and continues to produce that working man's sports car too.

Regardless of my arguments..... With a big lotto win, both the C2, the C7, and the C8 will be mine anyway....... !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs:

For me it's not so much the performance etc. Let's be honest, driving the C7 Z07 at 8/10ths is probably unrealistic for most, particularly on the street. So the question becomes, do you really need to be shelling out all that extra $$$ for the latest cool depreciating asset? Hmmmm.....It's tempting.......

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.