BANNED
May 3, 2017
Calgary
VetteCoins
Car
2007 LeMans blue Z06
Province
AB
Due to ongoing threats against various city depts for whatever reason,we now get these “Roads threat alerts”. The system has been in use for about 3 months now and our radios chime off maybe 3/5 times a day with similar warnings. Holy cow !

How sad is that that not only do I have to watch out for fast moving vehicles,I have this to worry about if I go to that area.

EC385729-0AA3-49A7-AFD1-13BFBC653430.jpeg

It's unfortunate that the people who are "Extremely" upset by the way the city is being run by politicians and administration have the potential to take their frustrations out on front line personnel like you Mike. I'm as upset as anyone about the way the city is wasting millions or billions of dollars on things we can't afford but my issue is with management and not front line staff unless they are unproductive. I have seen signs of low productivity on several occasions.

Be safe

so what are these person/vehicles known for and what are you supposed to be watching out for?
The Adams crescent guy Jeff I guess comes out of his place and moves the material that’s out front of his house over to the alley when the waterworks crew leaves. By moving it,he’s leaving a big excavation hole exposed. He’s been warned and a neighbor has CCTV cams aimed at the guys house and work area now.

As for cars,what I mean there is that I have to watch out for for the people blowing through the construction zone speed limit of 50 km/h at 70/80.

And not that I really care how fast any of you go,remember that if you get nailed in a Construction Zone,it’s double the $$ and double the demerit points. And the cops aren’t usually too nice to to you either. For me,6 points and I’m riding in the passenger seat for 6 months and lose $5.00/hr of my wage. With the ticket I got last July,I still have 11 months to lose the 3 points I have now so,,,,

One can’t be too complacent walking down a closed lane on Crowchild Trail or Sarcee trail when drivers are inconvenienced for 30 seconds. Nobody likes being shuffled around in traffic. Me included. If that isn’t enough to worry about,now I have to be concerned with Joe citizen having his morning coffee and deciding he doesn’t like my flashing beacons/strobes flashing in his kitchen window and comes outside to make an issue of it.

Last edited:
Most of the world needs to take a "chill pill". Too many people with extreme views on EVERYTHING. I think all the social media has given everyone the ability to hide behind a computer or smart phone screen. Regular media is thrilled to report on anything sensational (much of it fake news). I'm sure glad that in retirement I can focus my energy on positive things that I can control and have a positive impact on:
- help others when I can
- play better golf
- keep the beer cold
- enjoy my kids and grandkids

Most of the world needs to take a "chill pill". Too many people with extreme views on EVERYTHING. I think all the social media has given everyone the ability to hide behind a computer or smart phone screen. Regular media is thrilled to report on anything sensational (much of it fake news). I'm sure glad that in retirement I can focus my energy on positive things that I can control and have a positive impact on:
- help others when I can
- play better golf
- keep the beer cold
- enjoy my kids and grandkids

I got three out of four.... No kids so no grandkids... at least none I am aware of... helping others makes me feel good... Cold beer makes me feel good too, and I'm a 6 handicap so can't see myself getting much better.....

errrrr.... sorry... skipped a digit...Actually a 16 handicap.... or maybe a 26.... I think it's my swing...

golf.gif

Having been in local government for some time, I can tell you that I see more negativity towards what we do now than I saw 10 years ago. It seems everyone’s gripes about the feds and the province end up being transferred onto local municipal employees. It’s too bad because at the end of the day my staff just wants to do a good job and go home for supper like everyone else. The sense of entitlement in 2019 is astounding.

Ask anyone who deals with the public and it is getting worse every year. We now have dash cams in our apparatus to protect ourselves. I have even heard that some first responders in the USA are now wearing vests when they are toned out to particular neighbourhoods. Stay safe Mike and watch yourself. It is not a Mr. Rogers type world anymore, sad to say.

We’ve asked about dash cams but the liberal minded brass here say it could get us in more trouble than save us from ! We risk a 4 days suspension if we’re caught with one. How they come to that decision baffles me.

We have some sh!t hole neighbourhoods in the SE that I’m not big on going to in the early AM hrs. Especially working by myself. Forest Lawn comes to mind right away.

Mike, I would love to hear how they can twist themselves inside-out to say that dash cams would get you in more trouble. Have them come out and deal Mr. Upset Joe Public who thinks they have a right to do as they feel.

• Agree
Reactions: LE BARON
Mike, I would love to hear how they can twist themselves inside-out to say that dash cams would get you in more trouble. Have them come out and deal Mr. Upset Joe Public who thinks they have a right to do as they feel.

• Agree
Reactions: LE BARON
We’ve asked about dash cams but the liberal minded brass here say it could get us in more trouble than save us from ! We risk a 4 days suspension if we’re caught with one. How they come to that decision baffles me.

We have some sh!t hole neighbourhoods in the SE that I’m not big on going to in the early AM hrs. Especially working by myself. Forest Lawn comes to mind right away.
That is because the brass have absolutely no idea what crap you are facing.

That is because the brass have absolutely no idea what crap you are facing.

We’ve brought up dashcams at meetings and it gets shut down right quick. Kinda like beating a dead horse really. It comes mostly from the downtown brass.

Our 2 main shop bosses (Lonnie and Merle) would have no issues with us using them. Some of the rules we’ve had implemented in the last few years make no sense to us in the field. None whatsoever from crossing medians to making U turns to reversing in a set up.

This below is kinda the vibe we in the field see.

9C88A665-432A-4927-A168-701EF1F3B8CA.png

We’ve brought up dashcams at meetings and it gets shut down right quick. Kinda like beating a dead horse really. It comes mostly from the downtown brass.

Our 2 main shop bosses (Lonnie and Merle) would have no issues with us using them. Some of the rules we’ve had implemented in the last few years make no sense to us in the field. None whatsoever from crossing medians to making U turns to reversing in a set up.

View attachment 30226
Lol but I guess this isn’t the thread to confess as to what I do for a living....🤭

• Haha
Reactions: Rruuff Day

View attachment 30226
Reminded me of a forklift driver in a carpet factory. They have long pike poles on the front to be able to lift the carpet rolls by the centre. So the driver was always banging in to beams and whatever the hell else in the factory.
How did the brass solve the problem???
Put him as foreman.
HEY! It got him off the forklift.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.