It's bad enough to pay a markup but paying almost that amount as a luxury car tax to buy a new car that pricey makes my stomach churn. Even if you can negotiate that markup out of the price giving the government a lux tax is still BS when they are already collecting all the other taxes. I just don't think I can buy any new car now over $100k with that in place.

The E-Ray has a price of $200,892.52 That's $23,738.52 over MSRP. The over MSRP includes $499 admin fee, another $409 for some mandatory package and tire duty, OMVIC and $85 for gas. So that $22K and change over sticker. All Taxes are extra.
I would not hesitate to buy a car from @Mr.Corvette ;)

How is that car only costing the potential new owner $5400 in luxury and HST tax?

Forget the $892.52 for now to keep the #'s simple. MSRP is $177k and change, dealer markup is $23k making it $200k. Luxury tax is 10% of the total selling price of the car or 20% of the amount over $100k. In this case both works out to $20k so selling price is $220k + HST $28600 so total selling price is $248,600 to drive the car home.

edit: Ok, after reading Scott's post again I figured it out I didn't take in the additional part of the amount that he had posted I just thought he meant the car with the markup is only adding $5400 to the car in Lux and HST. He is right. That's a hell of a markup it's also another small car you can buy as a daily. Really super tough right now to buy a new car in these price ranges.
IMHO anything being sold over MSRP is gouging/scalping . Rude . That goes for concert tickets, ps5’s , or vehicles. They can slather it in lube and……reasonable profit is factored into MSRP is it not ?

How is that car only costing the potential new owner $5400 in luxury and HST tax?

Forget the $892.52 for now to keep the #'s simple. MSRP is $177k and change, dealer markup is $23k making it $200k. Luxury tax is 10% of the total selling price of the car or 20% of the amount over $100k. In this case both works out to $20k so selling price is $220k + HST $28600 so total selling price is $248,600 to drive the car home.

edit: Ok, after reading Scott's post again I figured it out I didn't take in the additional part of the amount that he had posted I just thought he meant the car with the markup is only adding $5400 to the car in Lux and HST. He is right. That's a hell of a markup it's also another small car you can buy as a daily. Really super tough right now to buy a new car in these price ranges.
I was trying to answer the question that was asked and yet to be answered being - how much for the car?
My mathematics was meant to point out how much extra was being charged for the car over sticker including the additional taxes
and I'm glad that Vettenut got a good laugh out of my answer.

Reactions: DenisC8
There you go Scott, it's time to open up that Dealership!
Darrell, my wife's uncle spent 40 years at Humberview as Secretary Treasurer and if I ever had a chance to own that or any other Chevrolet/Cadillac dealership believe me, I would have been all over it! I think my rules would have been when a potential customer asks you for the price of a car, your damn well answer it or pack your stuff and get out!

I was trying to answer the question that was asked and yet to be answered being - how much for the car?
My mathematics was meant to point out how much extra was being charged for the car over sticker including the additional taxes
and I'm glad that Vettenut got a good laugh out of my answer.

And you answered it eloquently and accurately as always ... just got a kick out of the fact that of course we have to take into account the extra taxes ... especially luxe on mark ups ... I dont think my first car cost 5400 ;)
Im sure I speak for all here in saying that we always appreciate your honesty , transparency and quality information you provide to us .:)

I second the statement of Mr Corvette opening up shop :Cheers2:

IMHO anything being sold over MSRP is gouging/scalping . Rude . That goes for concert tickets, ps5’s , or vehicles. They can slather it in lube and……reasonable profit is factored into MSRP is it not ?
Reasonable profit is one thing. Potential profit is another matter. Many dealerships have been languishing in potential profit since the the C8 hit the market.

Reasonable profit is one thing. Potential profit is another matter. Many dealerships have been languishing in potential profit since the the C8 hit the market.
Sure in our capitalist economy one could say charge what the market will bear as the old cliché goes but if that is the case why even have something like MSRP ? If that rationale applied to all transactions a large portion of the population would be priced out of the opportunity to purchase many goods. :angelic:

I think this is it.

Attachments

• IMG_5492.jpeg
    IMG_5492.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 0
I think this is it.
This one is a different car with a window sticker of $193,844. It's a 3LZ HTC, with CF wheels, CF ground effects, front lift, ZER, black exhaust tips and more.
I understand that it's available for sale and was ordered for stock. If anyone wants it let me know and I'll get you in touch with the proper person at the dealership for
MSRP. I understand the dealer is looking for the buyer to trade in his existing Corvette as well.
IMG_4566.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread