Power User
Jun 21, 2011
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
1970 & 2015 Stingray
Province
AB
Hey guys, I needed to get out this morning and clear my head so I thought I would go and check out the new Walterdale bridge. It has been a very rough month due to my father being in the hospital with Cancer, pneumonia, alzheimer's etc., sad to see and go through. He is basically on his last weeks, and has been very taxing on myself, my brother and mom.

The original bridge opened in 1913, until decommisioned, and the new bridge opened September 18 of 2017. The original bridge was named after John Walter, an original Edmonton Pioneer and progressive businessman, which contibuted so much to our city. The new bridge has definately become a city visual highlight. It finished with a budget of $155 million, and 2 years behind schedule with over $10 million in late fines to the contractor Acciona-Pacer Joint Venture.

Here are some pictures of the bridge, enjoy!

20180114_103726.jpg
20180114_102630.jpg
20180114_103833.jpg

Reactions: ddgermann
Ziggy, very sorry to hear about your father. Hate to see someone suffer and being able to do little to comfort them.

Thoughts with your father and family.

Great pictures, not sure why but I really like bridges. We did a San Fransisco to New York cruise so we went under many of them. I like looking at the architecture and engineering that goes into them.

Thanks for sharing the shots.:thumbs:

John Walter arrived here in 1870, and built many sucessful enterprises which included: ferry service, lumber mills, general store, coal mine, real estate, freighting business, steamboat operation and boat construction. He was named as the most progressive and public spirited citizen by the Strathcona Chronicle in December 1920.

I have lived in Edmonton my entire life, and had no idea on how much this man contributed to our city.

There is a museum set up just to the West side of the bridge. The museum includes the original 3 homes that John Walter built and lived in successively. Together they tell the story of an early pioneer who succeeded in business and contributed to civic affairs. It is also the story of Edmonton's development from fur trade post to a Western Canada metropolis. Http:www.edmonton.ca/johnwalter

First House (1876-1884)

20180114_105152.jpg
20180114_105133.jpg
20180114_105158.jpg

Edmonton's oldest original lived in structure

Third House (1901-1942)

When completed, it was one of the largest homes in Edmonton. It has all of the luxuries of the day, including running water, electricity, boiler heating, telephone and internet. Lol. Everything but the internet! Such comforts were the rewards of John's great success of a businessman.

20180114_105420.jpg
20180114_105332.jpg
20180114_105642.jpg
20180114_110538.jpg

Ziggy, very sorry to hear about your father. Hate to see someone suffer and being able to do little to comfort them.

Thoughts with your father and family.

Great pictures, not sure why but I really like bridges. We did a San Fransisco to New York cruise so we went under many of them. I like looking at the architecture and engineering that goes into them.

Thanks for sharing the shots.:thumbs:

Many thanks for all the kind words and wishes guys, a very hard time indeed.

I thought the bridge shots would be appreciated, and some interesting history as well.

Thanks Zig for sharing the bridge pictures and that Edmonton history... .. Coming from the east coast, we tend to incorrectly think that we have a monopoly on history but that was really interesting and something i'd never heard before either. I remember land surveying in Alberta back in the early 80's (1980's...lol). when I came here and referring to plans done by Michael Deane who did that Edmonton settlement survey. ... very kewl pictures you came up with too...

On another note, very sorry to hear about your dad. Sometimes life just throws us for a loop and as much as we know things are not always going to come up roses, it always sucks when it hits so close to our hearts. You've got people here thinking of you my friend.... Best wishes through tough times.

Heather and I are sorry to hear about your Father’s health conditions at this difficult times.
As for the great pictures. Cool. Like you, I’ve lived all my life and had know idea about this history we have here. I’ve driven by these houses many times. But never once thought to see what may be about.
Thanks Ken and Heather

Reactions: turbozig
Great Display
... this in many ways ...
part of which is that during this day,
you take care of yourself, getting a brief break
and possibly doing something a bit different,
sharing history and reflection
celebrating something new
it being meaningful and understood.
All while your loved one is being comforted and cared for.
sharing with the Corvette Comradery you know,
who are heartfelt and who care.
Thank you for sharing this with each of us today
Ziggy
eb6024_fe260ac3e2cc4c7d86d7ca5a7a03ad8d.jpg
more to you by text​

Last edited:
Thanking of you and your entire family Ziggy. For Joanne and I, take care of yourself to be strong for the family but remember it's OK to let go as we just need to at times.

A heartfelt thanks for all the kind words and support from the group. All of your comments and wishes are much appreciated. This is by far the most unique group of auto enthusiasts I have ever come across. I am very humbled to be a part of the group, and to have met so many genuine and fantastic people. It is a comfort to know the friends I have made through the brotherhood of CCF and Corvette ownership. I look so forward to meeting and cruising with you all very soon.

Thank you to all!

Frick. That is really too bad to hear about your father. As others have stated, I would like to wish you the best as can be during this difficult and stressful time. Glad you got your brother there and you can both be a support for your mom. If you need to vent. The forum is here.

Thanks for posting up pictures of the bridge! Very interesting design and history on the fact that the bridges completion was late by 2 years!

As for the pictures of the John Walter homes, that is really neat so see how he started off with such a small, humble place as with each rebuild, it got more grand! Running water and electricity must have been such a huge luxury! I could not imagine what we could get now that would ease our life so drastically from what we are used to.

The only bridge we have around here of any interest is the Borden Bridge outside of Saskatoon. It's not new, but more historical......then reading the history...not really that interesting. :rofl:

To pull some Wiki:

The bridge was constructed as a "make-work" project during the Great Depression. It was built in 1936. Plans from 1929 called for a steel segmental truss bridge, however these were abandoned for a more labour-intensive concrete bridge employing local farmers in the region.

In 1985 the bridge was closed to vehicles; a newer dual-span bridge built immediately north of the old bridge now carries the highway traffic. In 2007 the bridge was sold by the provincial government to Orville Middleton at a cost of $33,000; he indicated that his plans were to turn the bridge into an open-air dance hall. The Saskatchewan Architectural Heritage Society expressed strong concern over this proposed use for the bridge. As of 2012, the bridge still had not been converted because the rural municipality would not approve this use. Middleton stated that he would donate the bridge and surrounding land to the Canadian Wildlife Federation if the dance hall idea would not happen. He also expressed interest in decorating the bridge with some of the salvaged LED lights taken from the Traffic Bridge in Saskatoon. Eight years after buying the bridge, Middleton put it up for sale in 2015 for $1 million, having never been granted approval for his dance hall. As of 2016, the bridge remains unsold.

Borden_Bridge_SK_grande.jpg

ph-2015-291-3.jpg

15260341597_b9b1338160_b.jpg

borden-bridge.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread