Bru Sabourin

I'm New Here
2 You're 10
Feb 19, 2009
Oakville Ontario
VetteCoins
We have a 2003 with approx. 13,000 km. Last year we started to hear, what sounded like a knock in the engine; could have been a valve, piston or rocker arm(?) At any rate, after many discussions with the dealership, the engine was removed and sent out to a high performance shop for repair. They found there was evidence of piston-slap or scoring, so new (larger) pistons were added to replace the original. Also, other parts were replaced. ie. rocker arms,etc.

This whole process took 2 months before the car was returned. The car no longer has the knock, but initially felt sluggish; we were told the computer chips have to reset themselves. The next day, it appeared to hesitate on the highway as if it weren't getting gas, the following day, putting it in reverse, the car did not move.

It is now, once again with the dealership....does anyone have any insight for us as we are getting quite frustrated with the dealership and there responses.

My personal opinion is to get it as far away from a dealership as possible, as fast as you can! If you can find a private mechanic with the right tools and knowledge of Corvettes I think you will get it done faster cheaper and more than likely right, for instance in Sask. we have a fellow name Russ who if it was my car I would take it to him long befor it ever entered a dealships doors.

Just MHO,

Brent

No insight, just another comment....

I don't know a thing , but depending on how sluggish the engine is, it may need a little time to break in as it was just rebuilt...unless it is very sluggish. That may be part of the fuel problem...which I am sure you already thought about. As for the transmission, if the fluid level is up...???? I wish I could help instead of commenting on stuff you probably know already. If your car is no longer under warranty, I think you are stuck at the dealer until they fix the problems they created. After that, I would hunt down someone private who is very competent at fixing these cars...which shouldn't be that bad...Corvettes are just a chevy under the skin, aren't they?

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

it could be so many things, you wont find an answer on the net. take it to someone you trust and go step by step with them. ( someone you trust is not a dealership, specially not WN )

- Kons

i couldn't agree more... NO DEALERSHIPS If it isn't an oil change, it's over their expertise. Anyone that told you that the computer needs to reset itself should be instantly over run by hemrhoids. It sounds like you have a timing issue but I couldn't say obviously for sure.

It would help if we knew what town you were in. Maybe EVERYONE should update their profile??? :)

I could recommend if you were in Edmonton for where to take the car...

We have a 2003 with approx. 13,000 km. Last year we started to hear, what sounded like a knock in the engine; could have been a valve, piston or rocker arm(?) At any rate, after many discussions with the dealership, the engine was removed and sent out to a high performance shop for repair. They found there was evidence of piston-slap or scoring, so new (larger) pistons were added to replace the original. Also, other parts were replaced. ie. rocker arms,etc.

This whole process took 2 months before the car was returned. The car no longer has the knock, but initially felt sluggish; we were told the computer chips have to reset themselves. The next day, it appeared to hesitate on the highway as if it weren't getting gas, the following day, putting it in reverse, the car did not move.

It is now, once again with the dealership....does anyone have any insight for us as we are getting quite frustrated with the dealership and there responses.

Wow, two months before you got your car back, I would be freaking out on them big time and reseting computers
chip WTF? Is this a LS1 or LS6 motor? Did they do a compression check on all cylinders first?

If its a GM warranty then think I would take to another dealer with the previous bill and get another opinion.
Update us on the specifics of your motor and what they did and are going to do, would be interesting to hear
who is doing this work on your car for our future reference. Good luck!

Out here we call them "stealerships". I would have a look at your codes and see what you've got, I'd pretty much bet my morning donut that something was overlooked during reassembly - if you need a list of what the codes mean, I can get those posted here...

Good Idea Dave

I already have the code list but it would be benifitial to the others if you posted it for all to see.

Brent

Here it is - I can't take credit for it as it comes from a US forum:

The IPC display, the 20-character, vacuum florescent screen above the steering column that says "Corvette by Chevrolet" every time you turn on the key is a powerful device.

DIY Service Techs are going to be most interested in the LPG

Resolved: It started with a know in the enging...

Thanks to everyone for their comments...even if it was just words of sympathy....but the problem seems to have been resolved. Riley P. was on the right track....we were told the transmission fluid was down; topping it up seemed to correct the problem (don't want to say that too loudly though), and the car its running great!

Thanks to bigdave6 for the list..something to hang on to.

I'll hold my breath to see if I was right. Hopefully that will have solved the problem! Don't feel badly about the level being down a bit. The oil level once got so low in my truck that I could slightly hear the valvetrain as I went up a hill, and then they would quiet down as I leveled out. I thought this was odd, so I pulled over and the oil just barely registered on the dip stick! To be fair, my oil pressure gage never dropped and my truck never used oil before I had my head rebuilt, which was done within a month of the trip but I think I was running a quarter of the oil that I should heve been. Yuck! Luckily I always carry oil with me.

Maybe we can post bigdave6's list in it's own thread?