Aug 25, 2019
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
2015 2LT Z51
Province
AB
Hi all. As my birthday approaches, my wife has asked me what I might like for a gift this year. I was considering a radar detector, and even had one picked out (Uniden R3 gets good reviews), but I wanted to ask you folks that have a detector if you find it useful. I don’t really speed much, but I do like to know when I am being watched.
I tried using the “Waze” app on my phone, but I find it annoying more than anything. Any input would be appreciated.
Dale.

Hi all. As my birthday approaches, my wife has asked me what I might like for a gift this year. I was considering a radar detector, and even had one picked out (Uniden R3 gets good reviews), but I wanted to ask you folks that have a detector if you find it useful. I don’t really speed much, but I do like to know when I am being watched.
I tried using the “Waze” app on my phone, but I find it annoying more than anything. Any input would be appreciated.
Dale.
Radar detectors are legal in AB? Not in Ontario.

Yes they are legal in Alberta. Also legal in Sask and BC.

Saved my bacon on multiple occasions, both in town and highway. Understand their limitations. A detector is not a speeding panacea. Get a top of the line detector (Max 360c or better). For ultimate protection combine with laser as well.

Reactions: Pep
I agree with Cariboo. I have a 3 year old Passport Max 360 and yes, it is useless in the City of Edmonton with their fancy dragon eye photo laser, but it is great on the highway. It has saved me tickets. The beauty of the 360 I really like is you get an arrow pointing in the direction the signal is coming from. That way you know if if it something from behind you or ahead of you and I have found that very useful numerous times. The other feature I like about it is comes with a data base of where photo radar cameras are located permanently like at certain light structures and it will give you a warning/reminder before you get to them. You can add more locations with a press of a button and it saves into the database in the camera. you can login into the interwebs and update the database as well. There is also a lockout feature that will log out a spurious signal that you can get from certain types of door motion detectors so it will never go off in that spot for that type of signal again. Cariboo is also 100% correct there is NO perfect detector. If a cop is setting up a laser and you are the first one he tags all your detector is telling you is you have a ticket and pull over. Ka band radar is used on the highways a lot and you will pick up bounce back signals from other vehicles from a long ways away with a good detector. Laser you will get some but not near as much distance warning since it is light diffracting not radar waves. The only way to be 100% protected is a very expensive AND illegal laser jammer system but you need to be a hard core speeder to consider those in my opinion.

This is one of the better Canuck online sites for detectors.
KMPH.ca

A laser jammer is not ilegal in Alberta.

A laser jammer is not ilegal in Alberta.

Interesting. There is no federal law but I know someone who got charged for using one in Alberta so I thought it was a provincial bylaw. This was in 2015 so maybe that changed?? hmmmm

Yes both radar detectors and lidar jammers are legal in Alberta; for now and until legislative changes.

Although NO regular radar detector will save you from Lidar (the Dragon Eye system used by the police...in Edmonton and elsewhere) I find my detector does help with radar in City limits...both at intersections (photo radar for red light violations and speeding) and when the vehicle with radar is sitting along the side of the road. With the latter, it depends upon when the operator turns on his/her radar...if you don't see them in time and if they wait until the last moment just as you're about to pass, you'll be caught...unless they activate it for a vehicle in front of you and then your radar will pick that up in time to slow down.

For Lidar (Light Detection and Ranging) aka "laser", you need a more complicated and ++ expensive detection/jamming system on your bumpers that will jam the signal when it hits your vehicle and prevent a proper reading. For those with money who want the ultimate in radar/Lidar detection, they get a built-in system that combines both a radar detector and Lidar jammer. I've priced that out to be around $8,000 to $11,000 installed in my area and that's with a good installer that tests the system afterwards with an actual police Dragon Eye system, to ensure it works. Big bucks but some have done that.

Dale.
The uniden R7 will give you the best bang for your buck. It is highly customizable which I highly recommend you do to filter out alerts.
You can join a radar forums group and there are settings posted. Mine is pretty quiet, after tweaking the settings, I hardly get false alerts. Now it has auto lockouts, uniden is still supporting it, which is important.
I have one and I highly recommend it, worth every penny.

Dale.
Just trying to help with your decision, but how does Waze help anyways with cops driving around with their radar on?

I have only been pulled over once in my life and that is how it happened in the middle of nowhere Saskatchewan (no ticket btw :) ).

Yes both radar detectors and lidar jammers are legal in Alberta; for now and until legislative changes.

Although NO regular radar detector will save you from Lidar (the Dragon Eye system used by the police...in Edmonton and elsewhere) I find my detector does help with radar in City limits...both at intersections (photo radar for red light violations and speeding) and when the vehicle with radar is sitting along the side of the road. With the latter, it depends upon when the operator turns on his/her radar...if you don't see them in time and if they wait until the last moment just as you're about to pass, you'll be caught...unless they activate it for a vehicle in front of you and then your radar will pick that up in time to slow down.

For Lidar (Light Detection and Ranging) aka "laser", you need a more complicated and ++ expensive detection/jamming system on your bumpers that will jam the signal when it hits your vehicle and prevent a proper reading. For those with money who want the ultimate in radar/Lidar detection, they get a built-in system that combines both a radar detector and Lidar jammer. I've priced that out to be around $8,000 to $11,000 installed in my area and that's with a good installer that tests the system afterwards with an actual police Dragon Eye system, to ensure it works. Big bucks but some have done that.
If you are going to get a laser jammer, alp is the one to get
That is what I have, it has been tested and it is air tight on my grand sport. I am invisible to the radar gun.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.