Jan 26, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba
VetteCoins
Car
2016 Corvette Z06
Wow today it costs $1.2773 to buy a US $1.00, how long can GM Canada hold on without a price increase across the board including the Corvette?

Sure glad I got my order in (August 2014) and it is price protected. I anticipate a mid March build with an early to mid April delivery. If I price out my 2LT, Z51, mag ride, PDR, 8 speed, premium paint, black rims and a few other minor options on the US website it works to $71,755 US converted at today's rate ($1.2773) to $91,652.66 CND, my current protected price is $76,850.00 Huge difference of $14,802... or with taxes $16,727.00 more.

If I were fortunate enough to be able to order (afford) and score a Z06 the way I want it, US price would be $89,270.00US converted today to $114,024.57 Canadian. Difference of $24,754 plus taxes make that now $27,942.00

All I can say if you're on the fence about ordering a Corvette I'd suggest doing it sooner than later. I can't see the current price holding on for much longer. Something has to give. I'm sure it won't go up the match the current exchange but it will go up somewhat.

I don't care what incentives or discounts the US side has right now with current exchange rates I don't think you can beat Canadian pricing.

My buddy still has 2 allocations left which I'd suspect an early to mid summer build. P/M me for details and contact info.

I have placed an order for the 2015 Z06 2 weeks ago. I found that when I called various dealerships in the Ontario region I was advised that the 2015 allocations for the Z06's have all been filled and I would likely not get an order completed for about 12 months. I would be interested in knowing who has the two allocations for 2015 available, I might take them up on that allocation.

I posted this after doing a bit of calculating the other day on one of the other forums when the US member doubted the savings a Canadian configuration would achieve:

The base US price for a Z06 Coupe is: $78995
The base Canadian price for the same car is $85095
$85095 exchanged right now is $70995US.
A Canadian is actually paying $70995US to your $78995US on exchange right now.
That is a difference of 8K selling the same car to a Canadian, vice US citizen. GM gets 8K US less for every Z06 'base' sold in Canada.
Now... that is base. How many people have actually stuck to base? This is actually a very conservative amount; and I might believe 100K Canadian is still below what the Cdn Z06 out the door for us lucky enough to get one is.

Even going by the calculator you provided, the Canadian price should be $94683 base, vice $85095... a difference of $9588 Canadian. The Canadian price for this car is absolutely amazing considering.

I have placed an order for the 2015 Z06 2 weeks ago. I found that when I called various dealerships in the Ontario region I was advised that the 2015 allocations for the Z06's have all been filled and I would likely not get an order completed for about 12 months. I would be interested in knowing who has the two allocations for 2015 available, I might take them up on that allocation.

why does a Baron need two allocations........????:rofl:

Wow today it costs $1.2773 to buy a US $1.00, how long can GM Canada hold on without a price increase across the board including the Corvette?

Sure glad I got my order in (August 2014) and it is price protected. I anticipate a mid March build with an early to mid April delivery. If I price out my 2LT, Z51, mag ride, PDR, 8 speed, premium paint, black rims and a few other minor options on the US website it works to $71,755 US converted at today's rate ($1.2773) to $91,652.66 CND, my current protected price is $76,850.00 Huge difference of $14,802... or with taxes $16,727.00 more.

If I were fortunate enough to be able to order (afford) and score a Z06 the way I want it, US price would be $89,270.00US converted today to $114,024.57 Canadian. Difference of $24,754 plus taxes make that now $27,942.00

All I can say if you're on the fence about ordering a Corvette I'd suggest doing it sooner than later. I can't see the current price holding on for much longer. Something has to give. I'm sure it won't go up the match the current exchange but it will go up somewhat.

I don't care what incentives or discounts the US side has right now with current exchange rates I don't think you can beat Canadian pricing.

My buddy still has 2 allocations left which I'd suspect an early to mid summer build. P/M me for details and contact info.

Is your protected price of $76,850 including hst? I paid $80,000 all incl. for my 2015 z51 1lt with black rims and a clear roof. I can't see yours costing less, yet it has more bells and whistles.:confused:

to: tyho my price is before any taxes factored in. My full specs are 2Lt, Z51, Mag ride, PDR front camera, 8 speed auto, premium paint, black rims, carbon badges exterior, personalized name plate, transport included. Price protected at $76,850 less my protected loyalty credit of $1,500.00 and less the 2104 price protection of around another $1,450 discount. Should come in around $83,600 with taxes. So pretty happy about that so far.

Last edited:
As far as I know a Price increase across the board on all vehicles manufactured outside Canada is a very real possibility.

New vehicles at Gateway Chev that I dont see getting affected by a price increase are:
Chev Equinox, GMC Terrain, Chev Impala, Chev Camaro, Buick Regal.

Prices of used vehicles have already gone up at the auctions as more and more US used car dealers are coming north of the border to take advantage of their higher dollar and therefore bidding up the Canadian dealers. When a dealer buys a more expensive vehicle they have to pass it along to their buyers as well.

Great info Owais...can I ask... have you already accounted for the placement of a 2016 Z06 if you get one? Is it spoken for yet? I have to admit I still kick myself for not grabbing that Z06 when you first mentioned it this year. You have my respect for the help you have provided throughout this process and I will repay that someday.

Hi Les,

We have not opened out Order book for the 2016's yet. We are still hoping for a couple more allocations for 2015 C7's but not Z06's.

We will start accepting deposits for 2016 vehicles sometime in April-May. I have been asked if I will accept a deposit for it now but its too early as so much as unknown at this time.

Based on this years performance at Gateway we are very confident that we will get Z06 allocations for 2016 model year.

Yeah Wayne. U got ripped off 7 cents on the dollar. Because exchange rate is hovering at 1.20. That is what I just got too.

I didn't get ripped off I didn't buy any US cash... I was just looking online at the Royal Bank. Yes depending on the type of client you are you can get a slightly better rate (usually not more then $.02 difference) as well if you exchange more dollars.

A lot of people confuse rates, selling a US dollar back to the bank is much less then buying a US dollar. One rate is $1.1992 to sell back to the bank and to buy is says $1.2773 as of this AM.
Foreign Exchange Currency Converter - RBC Royal Bank
https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/foreign-currency-services/rates.jsp
Bank of Montreal has slightly better rates. http://www.bmo.com/home/personal/banking/rates/foreign-exchange

Show me a link that posts buying a US $1.00 for $1.20

Last edited:

Yes, I won't believe his comment unless he proves the rate and when he did it.

Banks / brokers are not dumb.

Actually I did get 1.20 to exchange $1000 CND in early January before I went to the CES convention in Las Vegas. If you exchanged 2-3 weeks ago you might have got that rate..... not now.

I just checked my banking... $1000 cnd got me $835.21 USD which is $1.1973 - done January 5th ( actually I did it Jan 3rd but posting didn't happen till Jan 5th ) as I was on a plane to Vegas Jan 5th

Brian

I didn't get ripped off I didn't buy any US cash... I was just looking online at the Royal Bank. Yes depending on the type of client you are you can get a slightly better rate (usually not more then $.02 difference) as well if you exchange more dollars.

A lot of people confuse rates, selling a US dollar back to the bank is much less then buying a US dollar. One rate is $1.1992 to sell back to the bank and to buy is says $1.2773 as of this AM.
Foreign Exchange Currency Converter - RBC Royal Bank
https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/foreign-currency-services/rates.jsp
Bank of Montreal has slightly better rates. Foreign Exchange Rates | BMO Bank of Montreal

You are a serious forex newbie. LOL!

Experienced currency traders like me do it all the time, buy exactly at the Bank of Canada rate. The rest pay inflated bank rates. Just cause you do not know how to get cheap forex means that u need to do more homework. These rates are not published. Ditto for the posted mortgage rates, and those available 1% below posted rates....

For a retail person like you, you are better going to a currency exchange house. You pay about 60 points there on that amount, or even less.
Banks scalp you. You are looking in the wrong places. Talk to someone who's hands aren't in your wallet.

I just saved you $5000 or more. You owe me a beer, or a trunkload of beer :)

Glad to help a fellow Canadian!

Last edited:
Carbuff : Thanks I have of heard of currently exchange houses but most people don't know where to look and settle at doing the exchange at the bank. I have no intention of buying any US cash or a US Corvette. I have a guaranteed Z51 allocation. I was just saying with current sinking dollar value I feel GM will do an increase, my bet by end of April if it gets any worse.

No beer from me, but maybe others will use you exchange house tip to buy US cash will send you free beer........

Last edited:
You are a serious forex newbie. LOL!

Experienced currency traders like me do it all the time, buy exactly at the Bank of Canada rate. The rest pay inflated bank rates.

Maintenance - Bank of Canada

2015-01-23
U.S. dollar 1.2403

At the beginning of the week the BOC rate was at 1.1966

It went from 1.1966 to the current yesterday 1.2403 --- 5 cent drop.

When I bought my ZR1 my wholesaler's partners wife works at a bank and it was .6 cent above the actually BOC rate... I get about 1.1 or 1.2 above. Back when the dollar was par :)

I will keep these guys in mind if I do sell in the USA

http://www.canadianforex.ca/

1.2420 to sell USD to CND right now.

Thanks for the tip of who to use

Brian

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.