Jun 28, 2019
Brighton, ON
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Stingray
Province
ON
So I have had my Corvette for 2 months now and have had a number of enjoyable cruises. I know what is under the hood and really have no reason or desire to prove it to anyone so I am quite content most of the time just to obey the speed limit. I will admit that on a few occasions when the road conditions were right and there was no traffic around and no cruisers as far as the eye could see I did take advantage of the opportunity to test out the mode selector to fully understand the implications of the software variations on ride and handling in each of the modes available. These few test were purely for scientific and technical evaluation - lol!
The vast majority of the time I drive at the speed limit on mainly well paved county roads, enjoying the scenery and the the little twists and turns. I know that the coffe will be just as hot or the ice cream just as cold when I get there and 5 minutes will not make any difference.
But since day one of owning this car I have been plagued by tail-gaters. At first I though it may have just been the optics of sitting in a lower car, but even wife and my neighbor who went on a cruise with me recently have commented on how close the car behind me was and maybe I should speed up and do the limit. When I point out that I am doing the limit or 5kmh over they can't believe people are that stupid and suggest maybe they are just trying to goad me into going faster. Now that may be the case but I feel no need to take the bait.
I have watched with alarm as people have passed me in a no passing zone going into a blind curve, worse still up a grade approaching a bridge again into a blind approach in a clearly marked no passing zone and the worst was the fool that passed on the inside shoulder with the sign indicating a hidden entrance ahead.
I could probably understand this tail-gating phenomenon if it was a fellow gear head with his Challenger or Camaro or Mustang or Porsche etc. But that is not the case.
It is almost always someone in a small puddle jumper like a Kia Rondo, Fiat 500, Chevy Spark etc etc. Although the fool who passed on the inside was driving a Honda mini-van with mom, dad and 3 kids inside and a canoe strapped to the roof.
So the question - Is it just me or do other Vette drivers experience the same foolishness?

Reactions: ABC
Every time I drive I have this happen to me. Last night was no different on the way home from Lake Louise. It’s 90 KM/h in the park. I had a Dodge Ram 1/2 ton probably 20/30 feet behind me. I’m in the right lane with the cruise set to 102. Left lane wide open. He sits on my ass for 6 kms. Finally tromps on it and passes me,giving me the look as he goes by.

I get it all the time. On the highway. In the city. Sitting at red lights is no different either. Just something I expect now.

@ByronF Yes this is really common to experience. Various reasons ranging from bitter envy to genuine desire to keep up with a wow “Corvette”.
And almost never from a guy in a muscle car or another sports car.
Usually I just ignore it on the highway unless it’s too close when I drop a gear and... bye bye. Sometimes in the city they will follow you right to where you’re going and want to look closer. Be prepared for lots of parking lot chats as people generally love Corvettes and want to see them close up.

Yes the tailgating phenomenon is a pita.

Any more, whether you are going 50 kph or 120 kph, people follow at 2-3 car lengths behind. I see it no matter what vehicle I drive and I see it with vehicles going the other direction They seem to be oblivious to the fact that they can NOT get stopped if a person suddenly jumps on the brakes. Going to work one morning a few years ago, a guy was right on my tail. No traffic and he could have easily passed. I started to slow down and finally came to a complete stop. I guess he finally woke up and passed me. Every single time that someone rear ends another vehicle, they should be charged with careless driving. That might help a little. All too many drivers are totally clueless and probably shouldn't even be behind the wheel of a vehicle. Some new cars have a feature that automatically backs the car off if you get too close to the one ahead. Great idea. It might do wonders with the life of brakes as well. Tailgaters are constantly on and off the brakes.

Nah, it’s just the typical crappy drivers these days. I can be in the mustang, the vette, my f150 or the wife’s minivan. They all get tailgaters or those suicidal passes.

The Vette ans the mustang don’t so much get “tail gaters”, but they do attract more than thier fair share of “street squids” looking to “whip it out and measure”. Like you, I’m old enough to not care and have nothing to prove, so I just let them go and continue on my way.

My F-150, however, doesn’t get as many tailgaters as it used to these days. I bought a 10 lb sledgehammer, painted it dayglow orange and set it on the step portion of my rear bumper. Anyone gets too close they see the hammer bouncing and sliding around on the bumper and they back right off as fast as they can. One guy backed off so fast I was sure he must have locked up the brakes! Lol!

What they don’t know is I have a small braided cable holding it on the bumper. Long enough for the hammer to shimmy and move around, but not long enough to let it fall off. Best thing I ever did.....:)

Last edited:
Oh yah. It seems that it is either pickups or some small import with a soup can muffler. I drive mostly highway with a 100 km/hr limit and I'm doing 110-115 and still have these folks whizzing by me at 130 +. Three lanes, I'm in the right lane and they are 2 meters behind me ... sometimes so close I can't even see their front bumper in the rear view mirror. Really not a safe way to drive, just hoping I don't get rear ended.

Feels more intimidating/irritating in the Corvette than in the F150 probably due the height. I travel Golden to Calgary weekly amongst all the rental cars and RV's, need to be hyper aware as the stupid moves can astound you! At least the motorhomes going 70 in a 90 don't tailgate you although I have seen them turn right from the left lane. Kids driving imports seem to think 8 feet from your back bumper is cool. I don't mind being the"rabbit" out front, just give me some room! I try to separate myself from the cars that travel in packs, usually blow by them all and set the cruise at about 15 over. Knock on wood, zero tickets in 16,000 kms on the car and 2000 on the truck this season. (Pretty obvious which is my favorite)

It always seems to me that people pull up really close at lights when you are stopped, then I'll turn around and actually look to see if they are as close as they appear in the mirror. Turns out they aren't too bad, but still close enough where if they got rear ended, they would probably hit my car so people should learn that stopping close to the car in front of you won't get you to your destination on time any sooner.
As for tailgating when driving, I find it happens in all my vehicles as people are in too much of a rush these days. As mentioned by someone else, it's a bit more obvious in the Corvette as you sit so low. It used to bother me, but I don't get worked up by it much anymore. I have insurance, and if they did hit me, then they can pay to fix my car.
If they are doing it to get a rise out of me, I don't let it bother me because if I let it bother me, then they get what they are looking for.
However, for the most part, my humble opinion is that most people just don't think when driving. They aren't tailgating to be jerks, or have some point to make. They just aren't thinking of the distance and probably have their mind on whatever other 5 tasks they need to do that day, or kids, or work, or whatever, and just aren't thinking about their driving.

It always seems to me that people pull up really close at lights when you are stopped, then I'll turn around and actually look to see if they are as close as they appear in the mirror. Turns out they aren't too bad, but still close enough where if they got rear ended, they would probably hit my car so people should learn that stopping close to the car in front of you won't get you to your destination on time any sooner.
As for tailgating when driving, I find it happens in all my vehicles as people are in too much of a rush these days. As mentioned by someone else, it's a bit more obvious in the Corvette as you sit so low. It used to bother me, but I don't get worked up by it much anymore. I have insurance, and if they did hit me, then they can pay to fix my car.
If they are doing it to get a rise out of me, I don't let it bother me because if I let it bother me, then they get what they are looking for.
However, for the most part, my humble opinion is that most people just don't think when driving. They aren't tailgating to be jerks, or have some point to make. They just aren't thinking of the distance and probably have their mind on whatever other 5 tasks they need to do that day, or kids, or work, or whatever, and just aren't thinking about their driving.
People also pull in front of me when I am towing, I leave enough room from the car in front of me in case I have to stop in a hurry. They think that space is for them to cut in front of me. Irritating and dangerous!

People also pull in front of me when I am towing, I leave enough room from the car in front of me in case I have to stop in a hurry. They think that space is for them to cut in front of me. Irritating and dangerous!
Always a good idea to leave yourself that margin of safety. A few years ago I narrowly missed being involved in a serious multi vehicle pile up. Retired now but then I was a mobile field service mechanic repairing construction machinery on site with my service truck. I was driving through the Massey tunnel on my way to jobsite in South Delta doing about 100 with the rest of the traffic flow when all of a sudden there was nothing but brake lights and all traffic coming to a complete stop from 100. I still had about 5 car lengths to the vehicle in front of me when I stopped but looking in my mirror I could tell by the rate the vehicle behind me was travelling there was no chance of him stopping in time. At the last second I drove ahead those 5 car length so the vehicle behind me didn't rear end me but he wasn't so lucky as he was rear ended and I heard what sounded like a cacophony of howling tires, crashes and grinding metal from the resulting 15 vehicle pile up right behind me.

I also do that when we are stopped on the highway for construction and watch the rearview mirror very carefully. Sometimes the line up extends to a corner or hill creating a blindspot. Some drivers compleately ignore the 10 "construction ahead" signs and come in way too fast!

I also do that when we are stopped on the highway for construction and watch the rearview mirror very carefully. Sometimes the line up extends to a corner or hill creating a blindspot. Some drivers compleately ignore the 10 "construction ahead" signs and come in way too fast!
So,I’m gathering you’re in the “brotherhood of road workers?” Amen !! Have to be a special type of crazy to stand on a highway with cars doing 110+ as they pass ya 😉.

I remember my first go round in the “Detours” division when a semi went by not 5 feet away. My first thoughts were.”Ok,this is a lot different than standing under the wing of a B747 pumping Jet A1”. And to think a few guys I work with wear earbuds while walking down the road while doing the closure.

Last edited:
Funny I just had a flagger in my office 5 minutes ago, she said they are having trouble finding staff because of the dangerous idiots out there. We are going into a 5 year major construction project starting late next summer. Twinning the last 4.8 kms of the canyon here. 600 million dollars and 6 week closures in spring and fall. Imagine Golden with 12000 vehicles going through it daily! The little 2 lane bridge here in town is going to keep the tow trucks busy as you cannot fit 2 semi's on it at a time, especially if they are Surrey trained if you know what I mean.

Funny I just had a flagger in my office 5 minutes ago, she said they are having trouble finding staff because of the dangerous idiots out there. We are going into a 5 year major construction project starting late next summer. Twinning the last 4.8 kms of the canyon here. 600 million dollars and 6 week closures in spring and fall. Imagine Golden with 12000 vehicles going through it daily! The little 2 lane bridge here in town is going to keep the tow trucks busy as you cannot fit 2 semi's on it at a time, especially if they are Surrey trained if you know what I mean.
Is anyone doing any hiring out there come spring? I know of some experienced people that could blend in there nicely.

Reactions: LE BARON
I can only imagine the lineups through Golden next year come August. I can see a night time departure from Calgary to next years Westfest/Abbotsford Airshow. Don’t want to be stuck in midday traffic anywhere near there.

I can only imagine the lineups through Golden next year come August. I can see a night time departure from Calgary to next years Westfest/Abbotsford Airshow. Don’t want to be stuck in midday traffic anywhere near there.
They will close mostly in shoulder season, spring and fall but will still be nuts!

They will close mostly in shoulder season, spring and fall but will still be nuts!
I got caught last year at the first snow shed westbound for an hour by a flag girl. And we left Calgary at 4 AM. Oh well,it’ll be a good time to make an “in transit” vid while stopped.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.