Interesting vid...definitely advantages either way depending on your wants and needs. I waited for him to hit on the choice of the manual shift until nearer the end when I noticed his C7 is an auto. The storage space is probably the deal breaker for me to prefer my C7. Performance and handling, while maybe not on the same level as the C8, is all I need and more than I can ever use without getting in a lot of trouble, and the ride is better than any of my previous toys. Having room for whatever you pretty much want when I'm on a 3 or 4 week cruise is the main reason though for me not owning a C8. A couple of pieces of luggage, my guitar, a 12V cooler behind my seat for road pops and snacks, books for wifey, and still room to remove and store the roof. Can't have both worlds so will keep my C7.

Interesting vid...definitely advantages either way depending on your wants and needs. I waited for him to hit on the choice of the manual shift until nearer the end when I noticed his C7 is an auto. The storage space is probably the deal breaker for me to prefer my C7. Performance and handling, while maybe not on the same level as the C8, is all I need and more than I can ever use without getting in a lot of trouble, and the ride is better than any of my previous toys. Having room for whatever you pretty much want when I'm on a 3 or 4 week cruise is the main reason though for me not owning a C8. A couple of pieces of luggage, my guitar, a 12V cooler behind my seat for road pops and snacks, books for wifey, and still room to remove and store the roof. Can't have both worlds so will keep my C7.
A definite trade-off storage vs mid engine. The HTC doesn't lose any space with the top off. You "might" be able to take your guitar in the trunk and the 12v cooler in the frunk, but it's guitar vs luggage or wife vs guitar ;). We got rid of our beloved Camaros in favour of the mid engined C8 and love our choice.

A definite trade-off storage vs mid engine. The HTC doesn't lose any space with the top off. You "might" be able to take your guitar in the trunk and the 12v cooler in the frunk, but it's guitar vs luggage or wife vs guitar ;). We got rid of our beloved Camaros in favour of the mid engined C8 and love our choice.
Top on or off, still not near enough space in the C8. And pulling over and opening the funk to get a soda or a snack ain't gonna happen... I haven't seen any posts of C8 drivers going on cruises for weeks at a time either... This was my C6. Spent 3 weeks touring Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and South Dakota. Suitcases, guitar, cooler, wifey shopping items galore and a full load of antiques for my Treasure Trollers site. By the time I got back to the Canadian border, any more purchases would have to have fit in my pockets (Wifey ultimatum...lol).

DSCN2026.JPG

I haven't seen any posts of C8 drivers going on cruises for weeks at a time either...
All kinds of them in the States, but like I said it's a tradeoff. Trips anywhere in the C8 have to be well planned. You can't buy things on a whim. We went to Shoppers and bought a printer. It would not fit in the car packaged. I had to unpack it to get it to fit. We went to C.T. and found some planters we wanted. I measured them, measured the trunk and bought them. They didn't fit! LOL! Luckily Sam was there with his SUV and offered to take them to his house where I could pick them up with our utility car.

However, the car is way better than our Camaros and worth the tradeoff for us.
And note: Yours is a STICK car. It gets confusing when you refer to a stick car as a manual when comparing it to a C8 The C8 is a manual car that does shift automatically by default.
Edit: I'm not sure if it's default. I've never tried hitting the M button before the D button.

Last edited:
All kinds of them in the States, but like I said it's a tradeoff. Trips anywhere in the C8 have to be well planned. You can't buy things on a whim. We went to Shoppers and bought a printer. It would not fit in the car packaged. I had to unpack it to get it to fit. We went to C.T. and found some planters we wanted. I measured them, measured the trunk and bought them. They didn't fit! LOL! Luckily Sam was there with his SUV and offered to take them to his house where I could pick them up with our utility car.

And note: Yours is a STICK car. It gets confusing when you refer to a stick car as a manual when comparing it to a C8 The C8 is a manual car that does shift automatically by default.
Edit: I'm not sure if it's default. I've never tried hitting the M button before the D button.
If there's no peddle for your left foot... it's an automatic.

Then every automatic I have ever owned is as manual as the C8. By default they all shifted automatically. You push a paddle in the C8 to manual shift. Same as me pulling the automatics shift lever down to shift down and up to shift up. A manual is a manual. an automatic is an automatic. The C8 is no more manual than my MKX automatic with it's paddles or my automatic Rav4 with 4 gears I can operate the shifter through manually.

Then every automatic I have ever owned is as manual as the C8. By default they all shifted automatically. You push a paddle in the C8 to manual shift. Same as me pulling the automatics shift lever down to shift down and up to shift up. A manual is a manual. an automatic is an automatic. The C8 is no more manual than my MKX automatic with it's paddles or my automatic Rav4 with 4 gears I can operate the shifter through manually.
True a stick car is only manual, but there is a huge difference between a slush box and a dual clutch tranny. To call it simply an automatic tranny is misleading at best. A DCT can be shifted manually and is better than a stick or slush transmission in every way except some people's enjoyment of the car.

So where does a sequential transmission fit in this debate? Is it a manual because you still have a clutch to press to go into Reverse and 1st gear? Is it automatic because you just push or pull the lever for all the other gears? Or does it go into a category of it's own?
Interesting. Definitely a manual only transmission if the operator must change gears.
However, as you point out, it should be called a sequential transmission. otherwise things get confusing.

Interesting. Definitely a manual only transmission if the operator must change gears.
However, as you point out, it should be called a sequential transmission. otherwise things get confusing.
I have always thought the difference between a conventional manual transmission with a third pedal and a sequential transmission was that with the former you could depress the clutch and go from first directly to fourth where as with sequential to get from first to fourth you have to go through second and third to get there.

I have always thought the difference between a conventional manual transmission with a third pedal and a sequential transmission was that with the former you could depress the clutch and go from first directly to fourth where as with sequential to get from first to fourth you have to go through second and third to get there.
From that standpoint the DCT is a sequential transmission, but it differs in that you the operator doesn't have to shift a DCT, though they could have made it so. Are there any like that? Don't see why they would. A single clutch sequential tranny doesn't shift as fast as a DCT.

• Agree
Reactions: 1st Vette
From that standpoint the DCT is a sequential transmission, but it differs in that you the operator doesn't have to shift a DCT, though they could have made it so. Are there any like that? Don't see why they would. A single clutch sequential tranny doesn't shift as fast as a DCT.
Nice to have the dual purpose functionality. F1 cars had a third pedal for many years but no longer. Nothing shifts as fast as a DCT . I suppose the other option would be a CV but who would want one ? That’s another thing I don’t like about EV’s , one “ gear “ basically . I think I read somewhere that Dodge came up with some snake oil deal that makes an EV feel like it’s shifting when obviously it’s not. As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery .

Reactions: Murray20c8
So where does a sequential transmission fit in this debate? Is it a manual because you still have a clutch to press to go into Reverse and 1st gear? Is it automatic because you just push or pull the lever for all the other gears? Or does it go into a category of it's own?
It is a category of it's own.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread