VelocityYellowRules!

RIP
You're a Regular King of the Post You're Liked 2 You're 10
Jul 15, 2012
Fairview, Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
2006 Z06
While on my return leg of a trip last week the in-flight magazine contained things to see in Kentucky. Of course on the list is the Corvette Museum and they also interviewed someone who is involved with current production.

He stated that they have produced, since the beginning, 1.5 million Corvettes of which 1.4 million are still on the road to this day which I thought was an amazing testiment to this car and the love affair we have with it.

Cheers,

Garry

Go on Youtube and you can see a few being written off. People having no experience with horsepower don't realize how quickly a car can get out of shape and upside down. I read an article one time where the guy said that most of the little English sports car accidents were in the first year, presumably because the drivers "thought" they knew how to drive. Try driving a high hp car through a few winters of Canadian snow. Best driving lessons a person could ever have. Ask me how I know.
Is that 1.4 million the number that are plated every year or the number that are still registered?

Sorry I didn't get the exact quote! Still if only 100,000 have been completely written off that is a pretty good sign of the quality that went into the cars and how well the owners looked after them.

I'd venture that you'd have a hard time finding a similar % of Mustangs and Charger's that are still on the road since they started manufacture.

You're right though Keith, people don't deal well with snow. Even here in Northern Alberta it seems to be a surprise to people that it happens every year. My judge of road conditions is always # vehicles in the ditch/100 km I've travelled!

Cheers,

Garry

While on my return leg of a trip last week the in-flight magazine contained things to see in Kentucky. Of course on the list is the Corvette Museum and they also interviewed someone who is involved with current production.

He stated that they have produced, since the beginning, 1.5 million Corvettes of which 1.4 million are still on the road to this day which I thought was an amazing testiment to this car and the love affair we have with it.

Cheers,

Garry

The trip to Bowling Green for a plant and museum tour is one you should do someday, Garry -- I had the pleasure of doing just so last Sept. with my brother and it was well worth the trip. Very interesting tours, and very hospitable people.
Also had time for a little sightseeing -- lots of fun attractions to see.

C.

Good evening Colin,

-30 with no wind today..........

Obviously for so many reasons Colin, you are living the dream life!

That indeed would be a fun trip. I've a backlog of museums to do, along with a year's worth of Grand Prix races too (only saw Montreal in 1988 but wow what cars!).

Cheers,

Garry

Good evening Colin,

-30 with no wind today..........

Obviously for so many reasons Colin, you are living the dream life!

That indeed would be a fun trip. I've a backlog of museums to do, along with a year's worth of Grand Prix races too (only saw Montreal in 1988 but wow what cars!).

Cheers,

Garry

hey garry , what if it was 40 below and you had a heater in your pick-up truck !!! :D

well here's one that likely won't get back on the road!
1f9ca6c8015e6762d143e49ac0210491.jpg
:eek:

If the Vettes out there are anything like ours, it's not much wonder they are all still on the road. After seven years, it only had 13,300 miles on it. Are there any high mileage Corvettes out there other than 67HEAVEN perhaps. Ours will be when we are done with it. :D

my 76 was parked for 17 years and there was 95000 miles on it. i put 2000 on it this summer. my buddy that i bought the car from also has a 77 that sat for not quite as long , it had 35000 on the clock. in 2011 he decided to take the 77 to florida to leave there and use as his daily driver, as he spends the winters there. i imagine their are other cars with similar stories and this could explain some of the longevity. each subsequent owner probably treats the car with care and only drives it on a limited basis. one theory.

Limited mileage doesn't apply here. The Corvette is the best gas mileage vehicle we have so we take it just about everywhere, the gravel road to our Cottage being the exception. The last half mile is gravel with too much crown in the middle and that little grader blade on the front doesn't work worth a darn. We put nearly as many miles on the car this year as did the previous owners in the car's first seven years. At my age, we can put 15K miles a year on the car and it still won't be worn out when I get old and senile and they take my license away. I don't know if that is good or bad. ;) :mad:

Actually Keith you bring up a good point. I thought of maybe trying for the highest mileaged C6 Z06. Bought it, might as well drive it and enjoy it. Let someone else provide a low mileage car for someone 20 years from now, not this kid............

Cheers,

Garry

The body material may have something to do with it. :D

Even the floors in the C1, C2 and early C3 cars is made from fibreglass.

Yep, mine is the last year for a completely fiberglass floor; 1975.

My cousin has a '74 that he bought new; still only has 40,000 miles on it to this day. Still has the original lacuqer paint.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.