Featured Thread
Old as dirt, hmmm , no , just experienced more life than others. We had a 2 room house on the farm , no power in the early 50's , water came from the well....like where else ? yeah party line phone ours was 11R15 ...for those who don't know what that means is that our ring on the party line # 11 was 1 long and 5 short rings . . you guys had a bike, wow , I never learned to skate as had no money for stuff like that , I loved to play baseball my uncles bought me a glove when I was in grade 8 , I used that same glove right up to when I played old timers provincial baseball and I still have it . the outhouse and a old News Paper is all I'll say , My neighbor still lives in a log house plastered with clay, no running water but has power . Some of the stuff posted up top I still do or use . If you walked in my shop today, a ice cold little glass bottle of Coke out of the 1950 Vendo 39 Coke machine still costs 10 cents. I could ramble on 4ever here but ...................
Sounds familiar. You could get us at 5R2. Phone someone, tell them something, and the whole township knew immediately. Better than face book. Strange how that happened. A BIKE?? WOW!! When I got into my GM apprenticeship, the first thing that I did was buy a baseball mitt and ball. Still have both. I know all about the news paper too. There is still the odd log house being lived in in our area, modernized no doubt as far as heat and plumbing go. You and I are OLD..

anyone remember shaking a 2 quart jar of cow's milk untill it made into butter ? , I hated that as it was hard work took a long time. Our fridge was a cellar in the ice house , a old log building with a dirt cellar that had ice blocks cut from the lake in the winter , ice lasted good part of the summer.
All that hard work built up muscle and saved my little butt. I was the little but strong farm kid. The bully of the class liked to pick on a little kid before the teacher came into the class. One day, I was the target. He reached out to grab me and ended up on the floor with his arm twisted behind his back so quickly that it even surprised me. Not realizing how strong I was, I was in amazement at how soft and weak he was. He had a pretty sore arm and I am sure that I could have dislocated something had he put up resistance. Anyway it was pretty embarrassing in front of the whole class and I don't remember him bothering anyone else after that. I probably did him a favour without even knowing it.

I remember when the street lights coming on were the unofficial time to be home.

A guy peddling a bike towing a hand turned grinder. He would ride through the neighbourhood to sharpen knives, scissors, lawn mower blades.

A guy with a horse drawn wagon going down the lanes at my Grandmothers house picking up junk. That guy used to scare the wits out of us.

Door to door Fuller Brush man.

Backyard vegetable gardens (becoming popular again).

In Toronto the Telegram had coupons you clipped for discounted rides at the Canadian National Exhibition.

All day trips to go twenty miles to visit relatives in the "country".

NHL Hockey Coins inside Jello Packages.

NHL 5" x 7" Pictures of your favourite player from St. Lawerence Starch Company.

Barber shop had great Leafs calendars. Nobody cared what year they were from.

Going to the airport to watch planes landing and taking off.

My father taking me to the stock car races every Friday night at the CNE. Not unheard of to have 13,000 people for the big specials. NASCAR and USAC used to come every year. Lots of American big names on a regular basis. Canadians held their own.

Wall Ball baseball against the brick wall at the school. Three kids could spend all day playing that game.

Chestnuts tied to a string to see who had the toughest one. Hard on the knuckles!

Disputes settled on the spot then all moved on.

Marbles.

Fireworks when you could still by "cannons". One friend blew the back off his pants when he put the lit "punk" in his back pocket with a pack of five "cannons" in there. Did we laugh? Well yes. :Biggrin:

Sunday roast beef dinner with the family all there.

Horse drawn milk wagon that made the deliveries. We lived in Nova Scotia and also had a fish delivery truck that came around the neighborhood a couple times a week.

That reminds me of one I forgot.... Taking lobster sandwiches to school. Proof in those days we didn't have a lot of money... lol...

We had a black & white TV , I remember when The Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show . Bonanza was something , and Wrestling was awesome . Batman in 1966 , Beverly Hillbillies , I Love Lucy , many more great shows ....they don't make stuff like that anymore.

Thank you Paul. This reminds me of so many things. Thanks for making me feel old.

I'm not that old, but so many things are so very different now.

Sure, I remember highbeams on the floor, and I think I was four when I sat on the inner wheel well of Jim's 52 GMC to hold the butterfly open with my feet on the valve cover. I marveled at the flames that came out of the carburetor, and I still blame that incident for my current hairline.

Thank you also to Murray. Your post also reminds me of the old-city way of things. I do really enjoy exploring the old areas of Toronto though, they are fascinating to me. My father-in-law has told me many stories of traveling from downtown to Scarborough in his youth to meet up with his wife via bus or later a motorcycle. Kids these days have no idea how long that took, or how open that area was. They were two totally different places! Haha, I can still remember leaving the city on the 400 and having darkness and fields and a sign to turn off for Vaughn, and then another break of darkness before seeing the lights of Canada's Wonderland.

Curfew was when it got dark. In the country, I could go anywhere and could be miles away and being followed by wolves or bears, but in the city someone needed to know where I was. I am even worse with my own child. I have a tracking device on him, because I can't trust what can happen these days.

Television was not something that I ever really did, even though I am young enough that the first TV I remember was a color RCA console. We rarely ever got more than one channel on UHF, but VHF might work for one or two channels on some nights if the weather conditions were right. Yes, I know rabbit ears and cones, towers and rotators. I damn near killed myself climbing up our 50ft tower to reattach the rotator motor without turning the power off first and using my teeth to straighten the copper core of the coaxial cable. The silly ways that we lived and learned.

Sunday family dinner is important to me, and I will host it anytime I am asked or told by my wife. I have learned to cook (yes, it has taken many years), and think people actually might even enjoy getting together, as long as someone else brings dessert.

My wife added a few

Sleeping on the parcel shelf in the back of the car

Sitting on someone's knee in the car so you could see out

Five or six kids sitting in the back of a station wagon playing games

Heading out for a drive with no destination in mind

Reactions: Keith Tedford
Thank you Paul. This reminds me of so many things. Thanks for making me feel old.

I'm not that old, but so many things are so very different now.

Sure, I remember highbeams on the floor, and I think I was four when I sat on the inner wheel well of Jim's 52 GMC to hold the butterfly open with my feet on the valve cover. I marveled at the flames that came out of the carburetor, and I still blame that incident for my current hairline.

Thank you also to Murray. Your post also reminds me of the old-city way of things. I do really enjoy exploring the old areas of Toronto though, they are fascinating to me. My father-in-law has told me many stories of traveling from downtown to Scarborough in his youth to meet up with his wife via bus or later a motorcycle. Kids these days have no idea how long that took, or how open that area was. They were two totally different places! Haha, I can still remember leaving the city on the 400 and having darkness and fields and a sign to turn off for Vaughn, and then another break of darkness before seeing the lights of Canada's Wonderland.

Curfew was when it got dark. In the country, I could go anywhere and could be miles away and being followed by wolves or bears, but in the city someone needed to know where I was. I am even worse with my own child. I have a tracking device on him, because I can't trust what can happen these days.

Television was not something that I ever really did, even though I am young enough that the first TV I remember was a color RCA console. We rarely ever got more than one channel on UHF, but VHF might work for one or two channels on some nights if the weather conditions were right. Yes, I know rabbit ears and cones, towers and rotators. I damn near killed myself climbing up our 50ft tower to reattach the rotator motor without turning the power off first and using my teeth to straighten the copper core of the coaxial cable. The silly ways that we lived and learned.

Sunday family dinner is important to me, and I will host it anytime I am asked or told by my wife. I have learned to cook (yes, it has taken many years), and think people actually might even enjoy getting together, as long as someone else brings dessert.

I dunno Jord. It had to have been something more catastrophic than a carburetor fire to cause that hairline.... :angelic:

Lol.... J/K ... there's a lot of us that share a dysfunctional hairline.....

I remember the Beatles on that show (I was mesmerized) on a little black&white set at some friends place in Martensville. At another friend's place there was a wood burning stove. We would put newspaper on it and think it looked just like the intro to Bonanza (crazy stupid to think about it now). Wrestling...some of those names. Recently recalled the Sweet Daddy Siki line "No chancee Mr Whalen"

We had a black & white TV , I remember when The Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show . Bonanza was something , and Wrestling was awesome . Batman in 1966 , Beverly Hillbillies , I Love Lucy , many more great shows ....they don't make stuff like that anymore.

I remember ... Mr Whalen
"... in the mean time and in-between time ... that's it ! Another edition of Stampede Wrestling" :thumbs:

Black & White TV was for watching the Apollo updates
and I remember the Hockey Night in Canada and the Wide World of Sports jingles from the CBC channel.
4 Channels (CBC, CTV, French CBC and eventually one IndependentTV) ...
I remember the "major house renovation" to bring Coax Cable.
Also the tight wallet with no candy or pop while saving for a Color TV in the house.
Then came Saturday Morning Cartoons :Woot:

(ya I know ... spoiled city kid)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.