We bought our one Chevelle new in '69. When I took the car apart, I found a build sheet in the springs of the rear seat back. It was for a Chevelle build 75 before ours. In the plants, there were separate sub-assembly lines where the air conditioning and seats were built up. These lines would also get build sheets for each car so that the right units would be built and would arrive at the main line as the right car went by. What would have happened in my case. There would have been a seat set out of the system for whatever reason and then set back in again when a black vinyl Malibu seat was needed again. The sheets meant nothing after the seat was built so it was left in the seat.
Lots of weird little things happened in the build process. Add to that all the fake paperwork that is out there and I wouldn't want to be buying any big dollar collector car these days and count on getting the real deal.

I've heard of that happening with C3 Vettes too Keith. Guys sometimes find the build sheet under the carpet when doing a replacement and quite often it will be for a different car. I would think the tank sticker would be accurate as it was glued on in the later years. I just find it interesting to research these things. I haven't gone looking for the tank sticker on mine. I do have the package from GM Oshawa that gives me all of the RPO codes for mine and some of the production figures for cars imported to Canada. There were 2,827 Corvettes sold in Canada in 1975 and of that, 1067 had air (C60) and 2,500 had the L48. I guess there were only 327 L82's that year if I do the math. Whomever ordered mine didn't spring for the Tilt & Tele but did get air (C60), PS (N41), PB (J50), PW (A31), rear defrost (C50), dual horns (U05), AM/FM (U69), automatic (M40), 3.08 axle (GU4) and white wall tires (QRM). I don't have the Canadian production figures for those options.

I found that I had mine after my last appraisel ('71 LS 5 car). Does anyone know how the build sheet affects the value. Now additionally, the engine is a replacement, so obviously not a numbers car but is the build sheet of value ?

By the way we have a birthday party every Sept 9...lol

With the Chevelles as an example, the build sheet for a Malibu doesn't really add to the value but certainly is a nice piece to have for car shows and stuff. At least people know what they are looking at is the real deal. The value of documentation goes up in value in proportion to how rare and collectible the car is. For something like the L78 Chevelle we had, it means a lot more as these cars are worth quite a bit of money just because of the engine. When we bought the Chevelle in 1997, the information package you got listed all the owners right back to day one. I actually contacted the original owner and met him at a show in Waterdown. I also had the information package from GM of Canada. I had no problem selling that car. With our COPO car, while I never did find a proper build sheet, I did have my original bill of sale, and could introduce you to the salesman who sold me the car back in 1969. He lives just outside of Haliburton. Being the original owner, that car was easy to sell too. Without firm documentation, I wouldn't be paying a lot of extra money for any musclecar or special Corvette. There are just too many fakes out there. Documentation would have to be iron clad.

Your right, it is kinda cool having it....and seeing the list price of 5800.00 made me smile too. My car was imported into Canada in 1977 and I have the docs for that as well along with the declared value etc....... I'd have to pay more than 3 times that for a new paint job today.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread