wide'05

Casual User
Apr 23, 2017
Rocky Mountain House
VetteCoins
Car
Wide '05
Hey guys. Might be a long shot, but in the event that this snow finally leaves and we get to bust out our cars, do we have an insurance broker in the crowd? If not, would it be reasonable to approach a local, regional or even a National carrier direct so as to receive better rates than we are now receiving? Collectively as a group we would make a pretty good account. If someone has attempted to do this in the past, please speak up and let us know how u made out. I tried a search and not much comes up. Is there any interest in joining a group or club effort in obtaining better rates? Everyone happy where they are? Lets have a bit of discussion. I think for the most part insurance companies are not aware of how much our cars are actually driven and how much care is taken to look after these cars. Your thoughts??

Reactions: ddgermann
I know nothing about the opportunity to collectively approach a carrier. It would have to be pretty attractive for me to change as I have been with the same company for 40 years, I know my broker well, and my rating is as high as they come. Comparitively, I think my rate is pretty reasonable compared to some of the feedback I have heard here on the forum. I insure 6 vehicles though and maybe that makes a difference too. An interesting thought though.

Reactions: Bearzerker
Similar situation. Same brokerage over 35 years. More than a dozen vehicles between autos, ATV's, motorcycles, trailers and lots of property, commercial etc. Checked rates last year and had to switch some because there were other carriers that were not available to my broker. Made a very big difference even apples to apples. Just thought there might be a benefit to a group rate.

It is an interesting conversation, for sure. I've been looking for deals on insurance for many years. I have an excellent driving record, no accidents, and four vehicles. I get a bit of a discount for multiple vehicles, but I'm still on the hook for about $3k a year. What drives me crazy is that I have to pay separate liability on all four vehicles, even though my wife and I can only possibly drive two vehicles at the same time. Why do I pay separate liability on each vehicle when they do not have the ability to get themselves into an accident? I completely understand paying a liability fee for myself, and a separate one for my wife based on her driving history, and then paying comprehensive, collision, glass, and all the other stuff on each vehicle.

Same here 3 vehicles and a Side by side insured. Plus house...etc. Same broker.
2 of the 3 vehicles sit at least 7 months of the year. Averaging about $1200 each for full coverage on the vehicles with high deductibles and no glass coverage as it almost doubles the rates on the vette and H1.

Only terminated 1 Mercedes with the Hummer in the history of our driving and that was “a free one” according to the insurance company.

So ya I’d be interested in learning about a group rate.
One thing though. According to popular belief and YouTube, Corvette drivers are a high risk because we are piss poor drivers that can’t handle the power of the cars. Maybe that’s why we haven’t heard of a group rate previously. o_O

Reactions: Brent08
In Ontario our rates were dropping by 15% but unfortunately the Insurance Companies didn't get the memo from our elected officials (sarcasm)

For the past two decades I have made it a practice to go out and source new pricing every 3 years or so. I too have several vehicles, house etc so I pay a fair bit. I have no loyalties to any particular broker or company...it's business and they are there to take your money and I like to keep as much of mine as possible. I consider a savings of $250 to $1000 worth the little time I spend switching over. Of the very few claims I have made over the years I have had no issues. My experience has been they will lower their price (same coverage) to get your business then increase it over the next two to three years. My 2 cents.

Running with the same broker for a few decades and they have changed the insurance companies a few times.
I do put the Vette into storage from Nov thru Apr so this lowers the premium (cash back) on the insurance as well as licensing fee for the plates.
Having said all that, my son was checking out his house ins and there was over a $1K difference between ins companies. So it is well worth it to shop around even if you have a clean record and maybe especially so as the ins company appreciates policies that do not cost them anything.

Been with the same company since I was 16. When we bought our Grand Cherokee in 2013 we were rear ended by a young lad who was texting while driving.:mad:
The insurance company was trying to replace parts with used parts from a 2011. After quite a bit of screaming and yelling with words that I cannot submit here and then threatening to sue, they finally agreed to use only new parts.
What a crock!

Bill

Reactions: vintageracer
Contacted a broker regarding group quote. He does specialty stuff such as groups, non profits, charities and specialties. He believes it is definitely worthwhile pursuing. Unfortunately is not quite National. No Alberta or Quebec at this time. Am going to get a quote based on a small group of 10 or so with different values, locations and all A+ driving records. Will report here and then maybe put some of us in touch directly to get specific quotes should we decide to proceed. No harm in checking. Those of us with many vehicles, property etc. on our current policies would not loose any brownie points with current broker by removing the 'vette from said policy.
As mentioned here by a few, there is a definite plus in removing PL and Pd when parked for the season.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Contacted a broker regarding group quote. He does specialty stuff such as groups, non profits, charities and specialties. He believes it is definitely worthwhile pursuing. Unfortunately is not quite National. No Alberta or Quebec at this time. Am going to get a quote based on a small group of 10 or so with different values, locations and all A+ driving records. Will report here and then maybe put some of us in touch directly to get specific quotes should we decide to proceed. No harm in checking. Those of us with many vehicles, property etc. on our current policies would not loose any brownie points with current broker by removing the 'vette from said policy.
As mentioned here by a few, there is a definite plus in removing PL and Pd when parked for the season.
In BC and following this thread... I have several cars plus I'm a home owner. definitely would like to know more... my rates right now are from the provincial authority ICBC but they're not insuring cars worth over a certain amount

I am with the Personal Insurance Co. - awesome group rates - may be approachable for this Group Venture idea 1-888-277-6481 (this may likely be my group rate toll free number that gets to them). I am just under
$3k per year for 5 year-round fully covered vehicles (including 2 vettes). Rates are pretty much based
on number of anticipated kms per year and deductible - our new driver is "specially endorsed" with zero vette coverage.

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.