Status
Not open for further replies.
I have experienced some wheel hop on launch. (Not using Launch Control, Mine bogs with Launch Control and then takes off). My car is a 2021 Non Z51. Sometimes it hops. Sometimes it doesn't. I launch off idle because I don't want wind it up and dump the clutch.

I've had 2 track days with 4 passes total. (Someone blew an engine and scattered oil/antifreeze on track and I left because I was worried about the cleanup.) 2 of the drag strip passes were with a 3/4 full tank + 120lb rider (1/8th mile). It didn't hop with a rider and all the run data was slightly better up to the 1/8th mile. 1.84 sec 60' time.

I've also done a number of street launches (thru 1st and 2nd only) It probably hops 1 or 2 times out 10 launches. It launches hard on the street.
Although my hops are very momentary and not severe, they're a concern. They're infrequent, short and I've usually been powering thru them. I'm running 335/25 R20 Michelin AS 4 run flat rear tires.

As I understand it, a hop occurs when a tire breaks & makes traction. Probably a function of the (size & rubber compound), spring rate, road surface and shock valving. Most of those items are not easy to change.

I've played a little with tire pressure.

Higher pressure will make the tire harder and it easier to "blow" the tires and probably not hop. This isn't a good solution.

I've been trying lower pressure of 26 to 28 psi on the street. This seems to help. I lowered tire pressure to 23/24 lbs on the track and that seemed to help. On the street, no two stop lights have the same road surface condition.

If I had an email or other alternative, I could send an MOV of my track run that hopped and another without hop.

Past experience, my 2011 supercharged Gran Sport and my 2015 10sec Z06 NEVER hopped.
My 2007 non-supercharged Z06 ALWAYS hopped unless I launched with higher torque (called slipping the clutch) and blew the tires. A base car could have beat this car always off the line. I never tracked this car (except on the street).

My '62 Fuelie, '79 L82, '93 Non-Z automatic (But with the 315 tires), '98, 2005 corvettes and my '66 Nova SS 327/350 (215/62 R15 radials), all NEVER had wheel hop.

I don't have a good solution for C8 wheel hop. Keep tweaking the tire pressure. I'm launching off idle.

Here's night shot of my C8
On streets or roads with lights at certain intersections, I have hopped, and not, on some different intersections. I have tried it on old asphalt and no hop!!! I will try idle, only, next time, thanks. I tried launch and never the same. I tried holding the 2 paddle shifters and raised the rpms and dropped them and that gave me my best times. What I have noticed , these C8s do better times when the weather is hot with compound . 11;17 , 11;20 even some 10;90 and 10;96 1/4 mile runs. So next summer, I will try it during warmer weather and maybe it will stick better, with the fact the engine is in the back and the asphalt will be warmer. My C7s or my Mustang GTs , no wheel hop. I have been drag racing since 2007, legally that is;). thanks again.:Cheers2:

I have experienced some wheel hop on launch. (Not using Launch Control, Mine bogs with Launch Control and then takes off). My car is a 2021 Non Z51. Sometimes it hops. Sometimes it doesn't. I launch off idle because I don't want wind it up and dump the clutch.

I've had 2 track days with 4 passes total. (Someone blew an engine and scattered oil/antifreeze on track and I left because I was worried about the cleanup.) 2 of the drag strip passes were with a 3/4 full tank + 120lb rider (1/8th mile). It didn't hop with a rider and all the run data was slightly better up to the 1/8th mile. 1.84 sec 60' time.

I've also done a number of street launches (thru 1st and 2nd only) It probably hops 1 or 2 times out 10 launches. It launches hard on the street.
Although my hops are very momentary and not severe, they're a concern. They're infrequent, short and I've usually been powering thru them. I'm running 335/25 R20 Michelin AS 4 run flat rear tires.

As I understand it, a hop occurs when a tire breaks & makes traction. Probably a function of the (size & rubber compound), spring rate, road surface and shock valving. Most of those items are not easy to change.

I've played a little with tire pressure.

Higher pressure will make the tire harder and it easier to "blow" the tires and probably not hop. This isn't a good solution.

I've been trying lower pressure of 26 to 28 psi on the street. This seems to help. I lowered tire pressure to 23/24 lbs on the track and that seemed to help. On the street, no two stop lights have the same road surface condition.

If I had an email or other alternative, I could send an MOV of my track run that hopped and another without hop.

Past experience, my 2011 supercharged Gran Sport and my 2015 10sec Z06 NEVER hopped.
My 2007 non-supercharged Z06 ALWAYS hopped unless I launched with higher torque (called slipping the clutch) and blew the tires. A base car could have beat this car always off the line. I never tracked this car (except on the street).

My '62 Fuelie, '79 L82, '93 Non-Z automatic (But with the 315 tires), '98, 2005 corvettes and my '66 Nova SS 327/350 (215/62 R15 radials), all NEVER had wheel hop.

I don't have a good solution for C8 wheel hop. Keep tweaking the tire pressure. I'm launching off idle.

Here's night shot of my C8
Does your 2021 have mag ride?

Does your 2021 have mag ride?
Unfortunately, NO. Mag Ride may have been on build constraint when it was assembled (the original title was dated in January 2021). I bought it as a "preowned" 2LT car with 4,000 miles in April this year. It had several extra options but no Mag Ride or NNP exhaust. My last 3 new car orders DID have Mag Ride and NNP (my preference).

Unfortunately, NO. Mag Ride may have been on build constraint when it was assembled (the original title was dated in January 2021). I bought it as a "preowned" 2LT car with 4,000 miles in April this year. It had several extra options but no Mag Ride or NNP exhaust. My last 3 new car orders DID have Mag Ride and NNP (my preference).
Interesting. I was just wondering if Mag Ride would make a difference launching.

On streets or roads with lights at certain intersections, I have hopped, and not, on some different intersections. I have tried it on old asphalt and no hop!!! I will try idle, only, next time, thanks. I tried launch and never the same. I tried holding the 2 paddle shifters and raised the rpms and dropped them and that gave me my best times. What I have noticed , these C8s do better times when the weather is hot with compound . 11;17 , 11;20 even some 10;90 and 10;96 1/4 mile runs. So next summer, I will try it during warmer weather and maybe it will stick better, with the fact the engine is in the back and the asphalt will be warmer. My C7s or my Mustang GTs , no wheel hop. I have been drag racing since 2007, legally that is;). thanks again.:Cheers2:
wigj:
Nice to hear from you. Sounds like your hopping experience is about the same as mine. My car is slower than yours. I'm getting 12.0's. Part of it may be related to the tires. 285's on the front and 335's on the rears.

I'm getting 1.84 sec to 1.89 sec 60' times and 1/8th time of approximately 7.66 to 7.68 sec @ 93+ mph. Both with and without mods which include a Lingenfelter Carbon PTR intake, 95/100mm Soler TB, Halltech Hornet CAI and a quart of Torco Accelerator to a half/three quarter tank of gas.

I've got 5 gal of VP MS-100 race gas I'm going to try. I'm reluctant to crack into the ECU.

I am resisting Long Tubes and CAT delete because I would have LOUD all the time. Sometimes it's preferrable to have QUIET.
As I've said in other posts, my last car was a 10.0 sec modified C7 Z06. By that standard, this car isn't what I would call a "Hot Rod". However, my SOPD (Seat of the Pants Dyno) thinks it is. I'm very happy with this car. The mods improved the throttle response.

My supercharged 2011 C7 Gran Sport was a 10.90 sec car. I've had a few Hot Rods.

Yes, I've had an email for almost 40 years. They removed my phone number from a previous post. I figured they would remove my email. Here it goes again:

Ok, another alteration to your post @HotRed98. Sorry, but past experience has shown those connecting from private emails on this site do not always have the ending that was expected. I removed your email address for your and others security.

The preferred method of communication is hovering over the avatar and use the "start conversation" function. Beyond that if two members want to carry on a private conversation no problem. The security of all members is our concern.

Thanks all for following along.

Ok, another alteration to your post @HotRed98. Sorry, but past experience has shown those connecting from private emails on this site do not always have the ending that was expected. I removed your email address for your and others security.

The preferred method of communication is hovering over the avatar and use the "start conversation" function. Beyond that if two members want to carry on a private conversation no problem. The security of all members is our concern.

Thanks all for following along.
That's fine. I respect you concern. I'm a bit care free and "think' I can Spam undesirables. I'm still learning the "Rules" of this CCF. Thanks.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
wigj:
Nice to hear from you. Sounds like your hopping experience is about the same as mine. My car is slower than yours. I'm getting 12.0's. Part of it may be related to the tires. 285's on the front and 335's on the rears.

I'm getting 1.84 sec to 1.89 sec 60' times and 1/8th time of approximately 7.66 to 7.68 sec @ 93+ mph. Both with and without mods which include a Lingenfelter Carbon PTR intake, 95/100mm Soler TB, Halltech Hornet CAI and a quart of Torco Accelerator to a half/three quarter tank of gas.

I've got 5 gal of VP MS-100 race gas I'm going to try. I'm reluctant to crack into the ECU.

I am resisting Long Tubes and CAT delete because I would have LOUD all the time. Sometimes it's preferrable to have QUIET.
As I've said in other posts, my last car was a 10.0 sec modified C7 Z06. By that standard, this car isn't what I would call a "Hot Rod". However, my SOPD (Seat of the Pants Dyno) thinks it is. I'm very happy with this car. The mods improved the throttle response.

My supercharged 2011 C7 Gran Sport was a 10.90 sec car. I've had a few Hot Rods.
Those times I wrote are others C8s, mine did 11.53. That is why I can't understand these slower times , for mine.

Those times I wrote are others C8s, mine did 11.53. That is why I can't understand these slower times , for mine.
I don't understand it either. Other than the wide front tires, 3000' DA and 93F. I'm running a good charge of Torco Accelerater.
My last two corvettes ran a best times of 10.9 sec and 10.0 sec. I think it's losing it on the top end. I don't understand it with the mods I've done (previous posts) but I don't know anyone I would trust to tune it And I'm not ready for loud long tube headers and deleted cats. If anyone could advise on a set of long tubes that idle and cruise reasonably quiet, I would be interested. I don't have the NPP exhaust.
I STILL like the car a lot.

I don't understand it either. Other than the wide front tires, 3000' DA and 93F. I'm running a good charge of Torco Accelerater.
My last two corvettes ran a best times of 10.9 sec and 10.0 sec. I think it's losing it on the top end. I don't understand it with the mods I've done (previous posts) but I don't know anyone I would trust to tune it And I'm not ready for loud long tube headers and deleted cats. If anyone could advise on a set of long tubes that idle and cruise reasonably quiet, I would be interested. I don't have the NPP exhaust.
I STILL like the car a lot.
Oh yes , I love this car. Just disappointed, that it will not stick. I noticed, that my times out of the gate/ 60 feet, that is where I lose time, hops and or spins. Well,when spring rolls around , I will test it again. Have a great day.

you can donate your coins....I haven't found how to steal them. I might get banned if I try that.
I just lost 1143 coins trying to steal hotred98 ‘s coins. You are welcome. If his account is frozen then I hope the kind administrator will get them back for me seeing how it’s the Christmas season and all. Peace on Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread