....I hope you're not talking about me Zig... Cause I wasn't there and can probably prove it.... mmmmm.... was the truck red?
Hmmm... It sure was ....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ddgermann and Nik
Whew.... See.... Told ya...Not me....
no big deal ... as ... CarPlay relayed a message from a State Trooper a little further on in our journey
to inform "us" that "the Montana Welcome Wagon" was being kept "busy" for a while ...
so forwar we went to gas up in Bizmark where we found another "character" who was "flexing" with Ziggy's Ray.
That's a story for Ziggy to tell :hilarious:

Last edited:
I didn't have GPS in my car.
Because the cost of modifying the electronic box and updating the maps is very expensive, I found the following solution, I installed a GPS Garmin DriveSmart 51 LMT-S in the valet mode of my C7
Here are the pictures.
I put two plastic tips on the GPS.
The 2 tips slide freely on the GPS.

In each tips a foam piece made like a spring to repels the 2 tips.

The 2 end caps are retained by 2 copper wires (electrical wires)
The 2 wires allow the sliding of the 2 end caps.
The 2 copper wires are adjusted for the width of the valet mode + 1 cm.

A wooden plate placed flat in the valet mode allows the GPS to be positioned at the bottom.
An existing edge in the valet mode prevents it from moving forward.

The tips prevent the GPS from tipping over (foam pressure must be sufficient)

The GPS turns on with the contact.

The only problem noted was that you must validate the GPS when you start it, otherwise it switches to USB connection mode and you have to turn off the ignition (or unplug the GPS to restart it).
Since we don't use GPS every day, it's not a big deal.

The GPS offers several functions including one that interests me (the camera to put in front)

the GPS is perfectly readable and can be turned slightly towards the driver

The flap closes without any problem.

The GPS works perfectly with the flap open or closed.
In 1 year of use I have never had a GPS warm-up.

The GPS switches itself off when the ignition is switched off.

This solution is not the best but the big advantage is that
GPS costs 150€ and updating the maps is free for the entire life of the GPS.
And it works perfectly.
The funny thing is that the plastic tips were recovered on a slatted bed base.

Hey Guys,

Update - I installed the 2016+ HMI, XM radio, and USB a few days ago. Today I stopped into my see my brother at his dealership to have the modules programed. He's been a mechanic for 20+ years and a GM tech for about 10 of those years dealing specifically with electrical and computer related issues, and this was the first time that he's ever attempted to swap / reprogram used modules. GM has said that used modules from a donor car can not be reprograms to be used on a different vehicle.... which obviously is untrue and an attempt to sell parts.

It was a bit of a learning process for both of us. We used SPS with an MDI to program the XM radio first with a 2016 C7 Z51 3LT VIN to match my options as close as possible which was manually entered. This video shows pretty much exactly the process.

vin.jpg

This caused the "Theft Locked" screen to appear on the screen since the HMI was in theft mode. We kept trying to reprogram the HMI which wasn't excepting my VIN for some reason. We then went back and programed the XM Radio again with the manually entered 2016 VIN and all of a sudden the "Theft Locked" screen disappeared and the 2016+ display was present. So it looks like the proper programing order is HMI then XM radio.
IMG_7361.jpg

Programing accepted

IMG_7366.jpg

Carplay up and running

IMG_7367.jpg

And of course I lost my reverse lines. Which I knew would happen, and don't really car about.

IMG_7372.jpg

All and all messing around and trying to figure things out took about 2 hours. Now that we know how to do it, this would probably take less than 5 minutes to program the modules to work. I didn't run any further updates because everything was working as expected. Total cost of the project was about $550 for the parts and a bottle of whiskey for my brother.

Great information, thanks for posting. Are the communication interconnect cables and AC Delco software subscription available to the average person to do at home?

• Clever
Reactions: YFCvii
I’ve got whiskey .... in fact a bottle of that internationally “recognized” Crown Royal from a few years ago remains “in state” for its worthy purpose. (I bought a case back then) 🤪
People had then on kijiji for well over $100 (it was a zoo) - I’ve yet to open one of the two I kept.

Last edited:
Great information, thanks for posting. Are the communication interconnect cables and AC Delco software subscription available to the average person to do at home?

Yes you can buy a clone MDI or original MDI with all the GM software installed on a hard drive like the one in this link:

Subscriptions to TIS2WEB would need to be bough for each VIN which will allow to read / program / calibrate /and do everything they can at the dealership. More info here:

After a day of driving around I noticed my radio reception was terrible with the new radio receiver. So last night I swapped back my original 14 radio module which has not been reprogrammed with 16 software. Surprisingly it works perfectly with the new HMI and functions exactly the same as the 16, with the exception that I have HD radio again and FM works perfectly just as before. That would lead me to conclude that the radio module DOES NOT need to be upgraded on the 14's running IO6. I don't know if that's the case with IO5.

I am though still missing drive select and back up camera lines which are both not options in the menu which would be controlled by the HMI.

• Informative
I'm interested in Upgrading my Infotainment on my 2015 C7 Z51
Does anyone know anyone in the GTA area or within Canada

The one from Infotainment.com is $1399.95 US, with the US conversion and Duty taxes your looking @ $2215 CND

I'm interested in Upgrading my Infotainment on my 2015 C7 Z51
Does anyone know anyone in the GTA area or within Canada

The one from Infotainment.com is $1399.95 US, with the US conversion and Duty taxes your looking @ $2215 CND
Check their website and call their number to ask for local installers. That’s what I did for the YYC area. They are rather helpful and they even gave me a lower price if I bought it to install on my own.

If you go to your local GM dealer, they can have a new OEM unit installed for around $1,400 plus applicable taxes (I can't remember the exact amount). If a dealership quotes you much higher than that, move onto the next one. Around the GTA, the company they use is York Electronics - they do all GM OEM warranty repairs when it comes to electronics like this.

If you go to your local GM dealer, they can have a new OEM unit installed for around $1,400 plus applicable taxes (I can't remember the exact amount). If a dealership quotes you much higher than that, move onto the next one. Around the GTA, the company they use is York Electronics - they do all GM OEM warranty repairs when it comes to electronics like this.

Thanks
I'll give it a try

I shall be watching this newly revived thread to see how it goes for you, Opacheco, as I have the same desire to upgrade. Good luck.
Exactly why I researched this option thoroughly when
I was weeks from pulling the trigger on it for my 2015 GMC Sierra
as I already had gone through the complete DIY install multiple times in my mind.
I also went through the DIY C7 install many times on their website too (nothing better to do).
My follow-through only got kaboshed with my trading the truck in for a new 2019 model.
… so I have all the Infotainment options now BUT with a much more expensive resolve …

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
Exactly why I researched this option thoroughly when
I was weeks from pulling the trigger on it for my 2015 GMC Sierra
as I already had gone through the complete DIY install multiple times in my mind.
I also went through the DIY C7 install many times on their website too (nothing better to do).
My follow-through only got kaboshed with my trading the truck in for a new 2019 model.
… so I have all the Infotainment options now BUT with a much more expensive resolve …

Well, there’s an idea. I saw a nice 2019 Z06 in the showroom when I went for an oil change a couple of weeks ago, and they only wanted $106,000 for it. Now, if they will give me $90,000 for my 2015, problem solved.:p

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.