Probably from China when they skirt around where the stuff is from. The price would indicate that too. Still, a friend built up his '68 468 Camaro with heads that everyone says are junk. No power adders, just his own flow bench and his own experience and the car runs 10.0s @ 133 with no power adders. The heads have been no problem at all but were fully massaged by him before going on the car.

it worries me that they state that those are imported heads. imported from where ?

I agree Doug. I'd rather pay a little more for American made heads. Summit and Jegs have some good heads that are US made as well as the Edelbrock E-street heads. They'll give you good street performance.

for 56 bucks more per head, summit racing has the genuine chevy vortec castings.

I read an article lately in Car Craft where they tested a bunch of heads in around the $1000/pair range. The Jegs, Summit and E-street heads all out performed a set of Scoggin-Dickey Vortecs by at least 17 HP on a 350 Goodrench motor. The Jegs heads were in the 30 HP range. And you don't need a Vortec intake with them. The Dart SHP heads were good for another 40 HP over the Scoggin-Dickey heads. The Scoggin-Dickey Vortecs were good for 20 HP over a set of stock iron chevy heads.

Last edited:
Interesting. I heard the Chevy vortec heads were really good units for the money.....but I can't remember the source.....therefore all I'm doing is increasing my post count by one!:D

Lol! Riley.
I guess this another example of reseaching what you are getting. The most expensive products aren't always the best and sometimes cheap ends up being expensive. This forum is great for this sort of thing. Real world experience vs. some company claiming huge HP numbers. Obviously there are tried and true power combos, stick with those because they work.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

The truth is trusted experts like Manny and Arun are the best source of info. Forums are good to read, but you have to weed out a lot of info. I've found that too often, once someone spends the money, they won't admit it was a mistake but rather rave about a product.

I've seen exactly the same thing as what Canuck speaks of. Many years ago an acquaintance bought a little Nissan truck. It was the perfect truck.....according to him. Through the back door we heard about all the times that it was in getting repaired. He had leased it and did keep it like new. At the end of the lease, he was going to buy the truck. Apparently he didn't see the little clause that said they didn't HAVE TO sell it to him at the buy out price but could charge him more. That is exactly what they were going to do and he turned the vehicle in never to have another Japanese vehicle of any sort ever again. People don't like to publicize the fact that perhaps they had blundered, so as a result you can get a skewed idea of just how good a vehicle actually is.
Advertised numbers aren't worth the paper they are written on. The only numbers I have any faith in are Manny's dyno numbers and the time slip at the end of the quarter mile or around a road course. These are the only ones that have any credence at all.

The truth is trusted experts like Manny and Arun are the best source of info. Forums are good to read, but you have to weed out a lot of info. I've found that too often, once someone spends the money, they won't admit it was a mistake but rather rave about a product.

Totally agree Canuk. I find that this forum is great, whereas some of the others that I have been on aren't so trustworthy.:canada:

cylinder head choice is really dependant on what components are in the engine and at what rpm it needs maximum airflow. if the rest of the engine isn't capable of meeting the needs of the heads, performance will be affected. there's not much point in having heads that flow to over 8000 rpm on a street driven small block. quality castings and valve train components are the key. :D

cylinder head choice is really dependant on what components are in the engine and at what rpm it needs maximum airflow. if the rest of the engine isn't capable of meeting the needs of the heads, performance will be affected. there's not much point in having heads that flow to over 8000 rpm on a street driven small block. quality castings and valve train components are the key. :D

A head with about 180cc ports is about right for street performance. That's what the heads were in the article I read and some other articles as well. Cam choice is very important as well.

Everything I've read about AFR heads puts them at the top of the heap for performance. About $1500 a pair for a SBC but they seem to be worth it. Quite a few engine builders like them as they get the results every time right out of the box. They're fully CNC'ed too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.