Jan 25, 2009
Saskatoon
VetteCoins
Car
73 Corvette Coupe
So i picked up a new starter for my car. Yes this means I haven't got to drive it during this spectacular weather. On my way home yesterday I saw 6 corvettes. 1 in the city and 5 on the highway. I was so pissed off that I couldn't be driving my car. Good looking bunch of cars though. anyway thats all.

T

So i picked up a new starter for my car. Yes this means I haven't got to drive it during this spectacular weather. On my way home yesterday I saw 6 corvettes. 1 in the city and 5 on the highway. I was so pissed off that I couldn't be driving my car. Good looking bunch of cars though. anyway thats all.

T

Yes, hope to see you soon!!! I have only seen one other C3 on the road this entire time...

Yes come on out. and I have been on the road---one mile drive to warm it up then something goes wrong. I thought I had it all working then I wne to Clavet (12km) to get gas and the damn thing wouldn't start after. So I figure I heat soaked the starter (again, damn headers). But it wouldn't start cold the next day either. Checked many things and came down to it must be the starter ( I Hope). So the new one goes in tonight or tomorrow and then we'll see!

T

Yes come on out. and I have been on the road---one mile drive to warm it up then something goes wrong. I thought I had it all working then I wne to Clavet (12km) to get gas and the damn thing wouldn't start after. So I figure I heat soaked the starter (again, damn headers). But it wouldn't start cold the next day either. Checked many things and came down to it must be the starter ( I Hope). So the new one goes in tonight or tomorrow and then we'll see!

T

Well, keep me posted... I dont really think there is a C3 owner that has not experienced failures with the starter.... I remember my first time... a flat-bed had to pick us up.

Well...I put the new starter in and it didn't fix the problem. Guess it is time to really dig in. Check the wires and grounds.

I am really tempted to start ripping the car apart and redo it right since I haven't been able to drive it anyway. We'll see I guess. Riley might be able to work some magic on it!

T

OK carry over from another thread back to this one.

Car won't start.
Solinoid used to click like the battery was low, but it isn't
Pulled the starter off and bench tested, worked fine.
Put it back on and still clicked.

Bought a new starter. Installed it.

Still no go.

Fisrt try it rapidly clicked. Second try it clicked once. Third try nothing.

Pulled the brand new starter off. Works fine on the bench.

Re installed. Still no worky

Checked and cleaned grounds.

Still nothing. Occationally clicks.

Next step is pull the +ve battery cable out and get a new one. Just need to find the time.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I will always try a simpler suggestion first to save time. Oddly enough I usually end up at the hard one anyway.

thanks in advance.

T

OK news.

Screwed around for 3 hours last night with my car trying to find out why it wouldn't start. Using an extra battery and booster cables I determined that the +ve cable was fine, however, my block had a weak ground. I now I checked the cables from the battery to the frame and the bolt on the frame at the block. Turns out I missed the bolt on the block. Pulled it off and cleaned it up...... Cranks spectacularly now. No grinding like last year. No weak starting like last year. I was so happy it was something so simple.

So I took the car out for a 5-6 mile drive to warm it up (and because I wanted to) so I could test the warm start.

Got back to my shop parked outside so I could move the car ramps and creeper out of the way. Pulled the car in and shut it off. Was just going to sit for a few minutes then start again and my wife says "why is there a big puddle under your car?" I'm sure I looked shocked. I got out looked under the car and sure enough a big puddle.....of gas! I must have jumbled around some hosed while I was playing with the starter cause the fuel supply line was touching the header and melted a hole in it. I am just happy I didn't light on fire. I said to my wife it was a good thing she was there cause I was just about to restart the car.

So long story short, the world is still against me, but at least I know exactly how to fix this problem. So a trip to NAPA for some fuel hose and then (fingers crossed) I can drive my car again!!!

T

OK news.

So long story short, the world is still against me, but at least I know exactly how to fix this problem. So a trip to NAPA for some fuel hose and then (fingers crossed) I can drive my car again!!!

T

Holy crap! I thought the same thing! you hav to bring your wife along more often it seems. Glad to hear was something simple... so will we see you maybe this weekend cruising around if its nice? I certainly would like to pick your brain seeing that for you sure you are getting handy with the electrical system. I for sure like to know where the ground bolts to the frame and such..you never know, I may need it some day!

PRecisely yesterday while tinkering with the AC hoses, I noticed my heater hoses were kinked, I did not think it twice and disconnected the main one and a pool of coolant covered the driveway in no time....so I guess that teaches me that asking something unknown is always a good thing!

Good to hear that you are back in business.

Yup. Just bought some fuel line so it can go on tonight. Few more tests then I just need some nice weather!

T

nice weather, well, that seems to be the most challgenging part.

T, also, whats with the wives refering to the Corvette as "your car" :D

My wife does the same thing.... your car this, your car that, what are you doing to your car now?

I like to say is OUR car haha, so when I need to spend money on fixes I can completely justify it!!! :rofl:

oh yeah, but she does not drive our car :nono: LOL

I think it might be because I had it before we were married. Besides the Vibe is refered to as either "the Vibe" or her car so I can live witht he deal.

My wife has driven my car once. I had to basically make her drive it. I think she is scared of wrecking something even though every time i get within 10ft of it something breaks or stops working.

I have noticed the car runs differently when my wife is riding in it though. Must be a jelousy thing.

T

Well the car made it into the city this morning. I'll be cruising around for a little while at around 3:30 cause thats when I am done work. I don't expect to see many corvettes since most people work full fridays. I'll post if I come in with the car on the weekend.

T

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.