newc659

I'm New Here
Oct 6, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
c6
Province
ON
HI there, I am looking at purchasing a 2007 C6 convertible. Only 38k on the odometer. What issues/problems should I be investigating? What are the common issues that have been noted with this vehicle
thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum. The C6 convert you're looking at has the identical Km's to ours that just began its winter hibernation. You didn't state what trim level the convertible has such as 1LT to 3LT since that gives a better idea of the equipment package. Ours has developed the common Harmonic Balancer wobble caused by the breakdown of the rubber dampening material between the hub and pulley. I intend to replace it with a Dayco or Dorman unit in the near future. If your trim level is 3LT it will have the auto dimming driver side rear view mirror. I've replaced our since the liquid crystal fluid has leaked out giving the mirror a weird motley cammo appearance. The new mirror insert was crazy expensive.

Ours was 9 years old when we acquired it in 2016. I found that the cabin air filter had never been replaced. C6's are hard on batteries and should be replaced at 5 to 6 years and put on a battery tender if not driven regularly. The OEM Goodyear tires were garbage and were replaced with Michelin Pilot SS ZP tires by the previous owner combined with a Pfadt Corvette spec wheel alignment prior to our acquisition which cured a handling issue that caused it to tramline badly. Ironically even though the previous owner replaced the tires the tire shop didn't suggest replacing the TPM sensors since they were still working. Bad decision since I had to replace them the following year when the batteries in them started to fail. The non replaceable batteries in the sensors have an 8 to 10 year service life.

The last issue I need to deal with is the Drivers Side Sport Seat. I will be replacing the seat foams and installing a seat re-enforcing kit. The bottom seat cushion is supported on wires that cut into the seat foam causing it to sag. The foam material in outboard side bolster has broken down causing a hard rub mark in the leather caused by entry and exit with no foam cushion backing protecting it from making hard contact with a metal surface behind it.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the search. Attached picture of ours.

Attachments

• 20180514_115650 (2).jpg
    20180514_115650 (2).jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Informative
Reactions: Dik and 12cents
HI there, I am looking at purchasing a 2007 C6 convertible. Only 38k on the odometer. What issues/problems should I be investigating? What are the common issues that have been noted with this vehicle
thanks

@RockyPM should chime in here. He has an 07 vert and has racked up about 160,000 km on his with I think a minimum of grief. Compared to many previous generations, the C6 is relatively problem free and the LS2 is a damn good engine.

Confirm if the recall was completed for the leaky fuel tank / fuel pump issue. GM had a 10 year limited replacement program. I just bought my C6 in May and unfortunately it wasn’t done. Expect to pay $2,800 - $3,000 for the dealer to fix it now.

Thanks @Rruuff Day. @newc659 I have a 2005 Z51 Convertible and have minor issues. Bought the car in 2011 with 50k km and it now has 165k. I've completed the following repairs:
  1. Many small maintenance items such as cleaning electrical contacts on doors, changing oils and serpentine belt.
  2. Had the dreaded "Service Column Lock" problem and this was repaired by an ECM rebuild.
  3. replaced water pump but consider this a maintenance item.
  4. LS2 can develop the oil pan seep issue. I have it but have not got the seal replaced. Estimate between $1500 to $2000 for this as they drop the front end. (If anyone has expereince please give us some insight as this is from the garage)
  5. Replaced radiator in September 2020 as it started leaking. Its aluminum and plastic and could not be repaired. The Z51 radiator has an oil and trans oil cooler inside, takes a bit longer to source. Maintain the condenser and rad by frequent cleaning and protect with screen.
  6. Completed the seat repair myself and can give anyone guidance on the how to without buying the refurb kits. It's very easy.
  7. When the roof is being closed the tonneau cover clips the roof. This is a common issue on the C6 convertible and most just grab the back of the rood and a slight pull lets the tonneau pass by.
Owned the car for 9 years now and at 165,000 km later still love it and other than the few costlier repairs that I consider just due to use and age its a very solid performing car. Do your research and check that all recalls have been done. If you are satisfied with the state of the car buy it and get a perma grin like everyone else on this forum.

If you have any questions etc just PM me and we can discuss over Zoom, Skype or whatever. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the heads re done also. As the valve guides wear out and can cause an engine failure. I’ve seen it happen before so don’t let anyone tell you differently. I have the wcch stage 2 heads. 50000 on of very hard driving. 0 issues

I have a 2006 coupe A6 with the LS2 and have 174000 km on the clock.
The only issue that caused any grief was the water pump seal leaking at 50000km.
Regular maintenance items replaced over time and mileage include:
Shocks at 120000 with Bilstein B8
Brake pads at 60000 to ceramics, and just got a safety inspection, and still 3/4 pad thickness.
Sway bar end links
Changed out the fluids this Spring. Used OEM fluids. Tried Redline with additive for the rear diff-too thick as the clutch packs would not lubricate. Changed to Dexron, and noise immediately went away.
Changed the rear axle nuts, only because I was doing the diff fluid change as well.
4 batteries 1 OEM, 1 Optima yellow top that only lasted 6 months, and the last 2 from CTC
Got rid of the Goodyear tires before year 1 was finished. Terrible tire, and dangerous in the wet.
Changed to non runflats- 3 sets of Firestone Indy 500 Wide Oval
Latest set is Michelin PS4S
Changed out all TPMS sensors at 10 year with a new set of tires. It was time, but they were still working OK.
Change oil dependent on mileage or minimum Once per season.
During some summers and long road trips, changed twice.
Tied back the shifter lock out pawl
No issues with the Harmonic Balancer
No issues with the gas tank top fitting crack and fumes escape (mostly happens to 2008 and newer)
No issue with the low beam headlight - did not get the recall done. I will fix myself if need be.
No issues with the driver seat air bag connector fretting causing air bag alarm -zip tied the connector so did
not need the safety recall to get done. BTW, GM removes the connector, and solders the wires together as the fix.
If you ever need to remove the seat, you will have to cut the wires, then resolder.

Funny...I own a 2007 C6-Z51 Convertible with 38,000KM. Small world.....Only problem I have had so far is the Harmonic Balancer which I had replaced last month.....

Good information everyone. That was the OP's initial post and he hasn't been back since so hopefully he returns and thanks all for your answers.

thanks
Have a mechanic look it over and get it certified by the seller....38k is low for a 13 yr old car

Hi and welcome to the forum. The C6 convert you're looking at has the identical Km's to ours that just began its winter hibernation. You didn't state what trim level the convertible has such as 1LT to 3LT since that gives a better idea of the equipment package. Ours has developed the common Harmonic Balancer wobble caused by the breakdown of the rubber dampening material between the hub and pulley. I intend to replace it with a Dayco or Dorman unit in the near future. If your trim level is 3LT it will have the auto dimming driver side rear view mirror. I've replaced our since the liquid crystal fluid has leaked out giving the mirror a weird motley cammo appearance. The new mirror insert was crazy expensive.

Ours was 9 years old when we acquired it in 2016. I found that the cabin air filter had never been replaced. C6's are hard on batteries and should be replaced at 5 to 6 years and put on a battery tender if not driven regularly. The OEM Goodyear tires were garbage and were replaced with Michelin Pilot SS ZP tires by the previous owner combined with a Pfadt Corvette spec wheel alignment prior to our acquisition which cured a handling issue that caused it to tramline badly. Ironically even though the previous owner replaced the tires the tire shop didn't suggest replacing the TPM sensors since they were still working. Bad decision since I had to replace them the following year when the batteries in them started to fail. The non replaceable batteries in the sensors have an 8 to 10 year service life.

The last issue I need to deal with is the Drivers Side Sport Seat. I will be replacing the seat foams and installing a seat re-enforcing kit. The bottom seat cushion is supported on wires that cut into the seat foam causing it to sag. The foam material in outboard side bolster has broken down causing a hard rub mark in the leather caused by entry and exit with no foam cushion backing protecting it from making hard contact with a metal surface behind it.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the search. Attached picture of ours.
Hi Tim

I have a cousin of your Pace Car with only 20,000 kms. After reading other posts looks like harmonic balancer is the most likely thing to go wrong with mine. Do you think I can expect any other problems similar to your experience? Hey Newc659 enjoy the heck out of your car it is twice what my C5 convertible was. Pictures with Harlan Charles in Michigan and on Route 66 in Illinois.

Attachments

• DSCF3612.JPG
    DSCF3612.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3607.jpg
    IMG_3607.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 25
My 07 coupe that I have had since 07 it had 2,200km and now has 76,440km has had very few issues. A call back on the targa top which GM
replaced and yes the run flat tires were garbage. I have put in 2 new batteries from the original one, which I feel is about right for a 13 year old car. The clock decided not to work last spring when I connected the negative cable, a little weird a GM download an it is working again. There is no harmonic balancer issue yet. So far this is the most reliable vehicle I have had right next to my Ford F150 (did I say that). I sure hope I did not put a jinx on my vette. I absolutely love this car!! Can't wait until spring.

Confirm if the recall was completed for the leaky fuel tank / fuel pump issue. GM had a 10 year limited replacement program. I just bought my C6 in May and unfortunately it wasn’t done. Expect to pay $2,800 - $3,000 for the dealer to fix it now.
I bought my 2006 Zo6 new and have never received a recall for a leaky gas tank. Was this specific to '07s?
The only recall I have ever had was for the roof adhesive to be redone, some coupe owners had the roof
fly off while driving, it involved removing the roof and all the adhesive and paint, repainting and reinstalling
with a better adhesive.
It is the only time it has been to a dealer (or any garage)in it's 14 years! Other than those stupid etests we had!!

I have an 07 2lt convertible and the shifter locked in park. There is a locking solenoid that gets weak and will not unlock the shifter. Shifter mechanism was replaced by me in about 2 hours. This is a known problem that is fixed easily but parts cost $350. Ensure you have the shifter in neutral and take care with the plastic dash and console cover. I ordered the shifter from Corvette depot, shipped from Canada, no duty, Canadian dollars.

Reactions: RockyPM