Aug 13, 2010
Port McNeill B.C
VetteCoins
Car
1980 , Red ,T.top
Hey there corvette fans.. Just wanted to know if anyone has done there own c3 hydro boost brake conversion. I need to know what model and year of chev or gm pickup you got the unit from and if you used your original master cylinder and power steering pump or not. thanks.

larrvys

Thanks for the info... the install he did was a kit, I was looking for more info on a piece together system.. I managed to find all the right fittings though and the proper hydroboost unit. The one out of a 95 3/4 ton chevy pickup worked fine for me. The only real pain in the ass was finding fittings for the steering ram valve inlet.

larryvs

I didn't take any pix during the install but I could take a few of the finished product. I will post them as soon as I can.. Unfortunately I won't be driving the car until next summer now, I guess that just gives me more time for installing the new seat covers, armrests and new exhaust.

larryvs

I just picked up a 75 Stingray, brakes aren't the greatest. Would like to upgrade. What is this hydroboost sytem? Where can I buy what I need to convert? The car has manual brakes right now
Thanks

Hydro boost?

I just picked up a 75 Stingray, brakes aren't the greatest. Would like to upgrade. What is this hydroboost sytem? Where can I buy what I need to convert? The car has manual brakes right now
Thanks

Hi.. the system is the same one you would find on a late 80's and up 3/4 ton chev or gmc pickup. The power steering pump provides assist through a hydro boost valve mounted at the firewall with the master cylinder mounted to it. If you google corvette hydroboost there is lots of info on the net.. kits are available or you can do it yourself. Mine stops on a dime with little effort. Good luck , if you need pix I can send them to you....

.....GM used them in diesel cars and trucks 1978 up. Gas one tons had them too early 70's up. I never did a conversion but owned and drive a few still. Stock ordinary pump isn't strong enough, ( I tried it ), you need the stronger pump to supply both the steering and brake booster. Not sure how the C3 steering ram system will like the stronger pump. Also I've seen many that the seal likes to go and drips on the floor mat.

Interesting conversion.
I did a hydraulic clutch in my 71 and it works perfectly. What prompted you to do this conversion? My excuse was I had to buy the entire clutch system any way. My conversion was actually cheaper by far than to buy all the parts for a Z bar setup.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.