Apr 19, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
1989 corvette
Province
ON
my C4 hood opens and I can lift it up. My question is when I use to pull the release lever the hodd would pop open an inch or two and I would simply lift it up . Now when I pull the lever the hood is open but simply laying flat and I need to pull up one side walk around the car and pull the hood up . it works fine just doesnt pop that inch or two.. is there an adjustment or are the springs worn out?

I have no idea what I'm talking about with Corvettes, but something similar happened to the rear hatch on my 2000 Camaro. The factory went to a different supplier for the rear hatch mechanism in 2000 and the spring wasn't strong enough after a while to open the heavier SS rear hatch. The solution on the internet was to buy a larger spring from Home Depot and add it to the mechanism. It worked, but I ended up swapping it with my 97 Firebirds mechanism and they both worked. To make a long story even longer, try adding a spring to the latch mechanism (if possible). If that works, you know what the problem was. Saves buying new struts if not needed.

I had the same problem. I discovered that the two hood struts were lazy, as I guess the gas inside them had dissipated over the years. Bought two new ones from RockAuto, really not expensive, and problem was solved.
I’ve replaced the two mini struts in the hood and it still is not popping up. This is a real brain teaser. I can’t figure out how to fix this.

Not really familiar with the C4 hood but is it the springs in these latch points that make to hood pop up? The slot in the top of the pin makes me think think these are easily adjustable too if it's not just a weakened spring problem.

1684677685209.jpeg

your pic shows an 89.

most likely your gas charged hood prop strut is dead. rock auto has replacement.

on earlier models where the hood prop itself wasnt gas charged, there were two small “hinge lift assists” (not the right name. but they went at the front of the hood, were charged with gas, and they would do the job of lifting the hood even though were teenie) that can be installed in later models.

Your 89’s gas charged strut is supposed to be able to lift the hood on its own. One finger to maybe get it started. chances are, the last amount of pressure has fizzled to the point where it doesnt even lift off the pin latches anymore.

all available at rock auto. cheers.

I don’t think m being clear.
The gas filled hood struts are new and not the problem. When I pull the release lever of the hood nothing happens. The hood lays flat and doesn’t appear open .
However I keep the lever pulled and some one lifts the hood it is open and lifts. The hood struts allow the other person to lift the hood effortlessly.
A few months ago when I pulled the over it would pop up an inch or two , I could let go of the lever close the door and lift the. released hood on my own

I don’t think m being clear.
The gas filled hood struts are new and not the problem. When I pull the release lever of the hood nothing happens. The hood lays flat and doesn’t appear open .
However I keep the lever pulled and some one lifts the hood it is open and lifts. The hood struts allow the other person to lift the hood effortlessly.
A few months ago when I pulled the over it would pop up an inch or two , I could let go of the lever close the door and lift the. released hood on my own
Did you google it?
Maybe your cable needs adjusting?

Yes. I’ve Googled it but all I find are posts on what to do if the hood won’t open. Are the springs replaceable ? Where do I find a set?
Surely those springs are adjustable, no?
It might be cable stretch, but from your description it sounds like those springs have lost their tension and should either be adjusted or replaced.
On another forum they discussed your exact issue.
"FWIW there is a locking ring. When the ring is turned loose a bit you should be able to adjust the tip with a big flat head then tighten the lock."

my C4 hood opens and I can lift it up. My question is when I use to pull the release lever the hodd would pop open an inch or two and I would simply lift it up . Now when I pull the lever the hood is open but simply laying flat and I need to pull up one side walk around the car and pull the hood up . it works fine just doesnt pop that inch or two.. is there an adjustment or are the springs worn out?
I had an almost similar problem. All I did was adjust the position of the two hood pins. Each pin is held in place by two 13 mm bolts and an 18 mm retainer nut for the rubber bumper. They all are connected to a mounting plate that retains the hood pin.
Loosen all three enough that the washers under the two bolt heads can just rotate using your finger and the retainer nut is loosened just enough that the mounting plate will shift with a blow from a hammer. This mounting plate can be moved side to side, diagonally and forward to rearward.

Lower the hood watching the hood pins as they come in contact with the hole in the latch. The pin needs to connect with the latch in the middle of the hole. Your’s likely don’t line up at all. Lift the hood and strike the mounting plate with hammer moving it in the direction that will get the pin in the centre of the latch hole. Do the same with the other side. You should be able to push each hood corner pin into the latch hole easily with the spring pushing the pin out of the hole. I found that by doing this last step, the pin aligned with the latch hole perfectly. Now the hood not only closes easier, but the force needed to pull the hood release is much less.

When you’re all done, lubricate the pin head and latch with Lithium Grease.

That’s it - that’s all.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.