Thanks Bob........as you can appreciate I'm reading as much as I can about the C-7 Corvette and watching as many YouTube videos as possible, to help me wait out the winter until such time I get confirmation of my car being ordered along with a definitive delivery date. All I have is a non official build sheet with a hand written price and a receipt of a heafty down payment........ha ha. I'll feel a lot better when I get an actual order sheet with the car optioned as per build. At least that's my understanding of the process. The dealer did tell me about three weeks ago my car was released for build but that the manufacturer (not dealer as I previously thought) realized the delivery destination being Northern Ontario and placed a stop build on the car. If that's the case does the dealer have to resubmit my order or will the manufacturer simply schedule the car for build at a time that they believe they can deliver it?

Second question. Regarding your comment of stone chipping and after viewing a YouTube video clearly showing the tires picking up small rocks, how serious of an issue is stone chipping with the entry level tires? Do I need to have a 3-M tape applied to the wheel well edge? I'm thinking the softer compound of the Cup 2's would be more of a problem with this than the standard tire being less soft?

Cobra
[/QUOTE]

Cobra all factory tires on the C7s are soft Michelins and will toss the little rocks very well. Yours will be Pilot Super Sport tires not the sport cup 2s but there’s little difference in the amount of stuff they throw.

Yes for sure get some clear bra on the back quarters and along the rockers or side skirts if your getting them on your new car.

A higher end clear film will self heal as well and most of the little nicks will go away in the sun.
This debris and without the protection the chipping is a fact of life with the performance tires on your new car.

There are lots of threads on this subject here and elsewhere with photos and explanations of what different guys and gals do to protect their cars.
Very good questions and “new” is best the time to protect your paint finish.

One more thought. I am constantly cringing when I hear this stuff rattling off my car going down alleys or anywhere the surface is not perfectly clean. You get used to hearing it but it never feels good. My 13 and 15 had no clear bra protection on the full rear quarters and both had marks in the paint at 3000 km.
My 17 does have this protection and at 7500 km..... no marks.

D

Last edited:
Second question. Regarding your comment of stone chipping and after viewing a YouTube video clearly showing the tires picking up small rocks, how serious of an issue is stone chipping with the entry level tires? Do I need to have a 3-M tape applied to the wheel well edge? I'm thinking the softer compound of the Cup 2's would be more of a problem with this than the standard tire being less soft?

Cobra
[/QUOTE]

Four words Cobra; Splash guards and rockers.

I can hear the little rocks being flung by my tires but tend to go real slow when in areas where there are little stone chips on the pavement. The car comes with plastic shielding on the rear air intakes which does help. If you do go for added plastic film protection do it before you take it home for the first time. I have reached an age where I have finally learned to enjoy the car and worry less about keeping it perfect for the next guy. It has been great to put more than 20,000 MILES on it in a bit over two years.

I can hear the little rocks being flung by my tires but tend to go real slow when in areas where there are little stone chips on the pavement. The car comes with plastic shielding on the rear air intakes which does help. If you do go for added plastic film protection do it before you take it home for the first time. I have reached an age where I have finally learned to enjoy the car and worry less about keeping it perfect for the next guy. It has been great to put more than 20,000 MILES on it in a bit over two years.

Thanks everyone for the advise. I reviewed a number of posts regarding the XPel protection. Some of the kits look impressive and I'd be tempted to attempt small projects like the headlamps myself. I don't know if I am prepared to go all out as some have here, especially noting how far I am from an installer however I'm thinking of simply trying 3-M protectant tape and doing it myself however just a small strip on the wheel well edge. Your thoughts?

Reactions: ddgermann
My advice would be to go to a few dealerships and look at used C7s. The widebody and the regular. Look at the kms on the cars and you will get an very good understanding as to where the protection is needed. It will be completely obvious as you will likely see some with various levels of protection and some with none.
The little piece put on at the factory is not nearly enough as you will see. This piece is pulled off before the clear Wrap is installed normally as well.
And as mentioned above. If you are happy enjoying the car for yourself and nicks in the paint are no big issue, then that’s fine too.
It’s your satisfaction and experience that matter... not what any of us think.
Your good here at CCF either way. 😀

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.