Bill. I've been stung lots....And I sprayed a nest of yellow jackets yesterday too if that counts.... errrrr....I'm guessing it doesn't.......:confused:

Just the kind that comes in a container and I put on my toast.

I know there is an issue with them and it is a concern. What is odd is that Eric mentioned Yellow Jackets. Last year we had a real problem here with wasps of some description but this year I have not seen any.

Are you thinking of having some bee boxes on your property Bill?

No Murray, the neighbour put 100 boxes of bees on her property right adjacent to our home. They were a problem last year and I asked her to move them which see refused. This year she had them put in the same spot 1 week ago and I have been stung twice in two days.
We are right in the bees flight path, literally thousands of them and I'm working out in the yard all day with them flying around and past me. Every once in a while a couple of bees just start whacking me on the head and in your face very aggresively. You can't help but swat at them and then your stung.
Wife and kid don't even want to go outside.

Bill

What is Ontario's bylaw on that Bill. Many places have a minimum 30 metre setback from property boundaries but that probably doesn't help much. It is weird your neighbour wouldn't have relocated them at your request.

If it were me (and keep in mind I'm a hunter....lol...) I would ask her once again, explaining that your family is getting stung and can't enjoy your yard. If she tells you to pound sand, then I would either run an insect zapper trap line along my property line, baited with a sweet solution to attract the bees....ZAP.... dead.... Or the less expensive way is to hang 2 litre plastic pop bottles along the property line 1/4 full of the sweet bait solution... Bees enter the bottle, drown in the solution.... Every couple weeks you could take a bottle of bees over and ask if she wants them back.... lol.... ok...that was mean.... She might get the hint and move the boxes...

What is Ontario's bylaw on that Bill. Many places have a minimum 30 metre setback from property boundaries but that probably doesn't help much. It is weird your neighbour wouldn't have relocated them at your request.

If it were me (and keep in mind I'm a hunter....lol...) I would ask her once again, explaining that your family is getting stung and can't enjoy your yard. If she tells you to pound sand, then I would either run an insect zapper trap line along my property line, baited with a sweet solution to attract the bees....ZAP.... dead.... Or the less expensive way is to hang 2 litre plastic pop bottles along the property line 1/4 full of the sweet bait solution... Bees enter the bottle, drown in the solution.... Every couple weeks you could take a bottle of bees over and ask if she wants them back.... lol.... ok...that was mean.... She might get the hint and move the boxes...
# 1 suggestion considering the neighbors attitude.
I think the zapper line would be great. She could count the bees getting zapped. LOL

Reactions: ddgermann

Yup,,,,Zapper line for sure.

If she refuses to be a good neighbor this year, a sh!tstorm is coming. She only has the guy bring the bees in order to gain agricultural status to keep her taxes low. She doesn't even live on the land. There is no house there. Meanwhile I spent close to 700,000.00 and pay 5 grand in tax. The place is a mess with weeds shoulder height on the entire property.
Bees were bad again today even with the wet weather which tells me the hive is not healthy, something is wrong.
She finally called me today with every excuse and sob story but she has this week to move them well away.

Bill

Probably BS sob story so probably won't do anything. Get that zapper out there.
If she has the money for bees she could at least keep the place clean.
If you go to the town it will get stuck in bureaucracy. They wouldn't know what to do or which dept is responsible.

Hope they don't Sting ray, sorry bad Monday joke. Hope you get this resolved, bees are critical to our environment but that is no excuse for her actions!

Reactions: LE BARON
Go after her and the owner of the bees. Neither are showing you any respect. Miserable people like this must live a lonely life because they sure won't have any friends. A vicious circle for them and anyone having contact with them.

I contacted the bee guy and descibed the bees behavior.His said yes they are aggresive and removed them that night. (Wed.)
Now she has prepped another area about 300ft back and told me she was bringing the bees back again. If they bother me this time the gloves are off, the county will be called out to look at many other issues on the property. Then I will be in touch with the bee guy again. I might just have to do a little insecticidle spraying on the outside of my house and shop. After all...we do have quite an abundance of spiders and fly's.;)

Bill

Bees are Good … the Keeper(s) not so good.
A Zapper may only temporarily resolve the symptom and not the cause though ...
I don't think the Landowner cares about the bees … but rather the "tax benefit" …
so that's where I would aim … at the wallet

Inspector? … and why is he/she asking a question to answer your question?
I'd be searching into By Laws if there are any in regard to "nuisance".
Then off for a Lawyer consultation to see if the Bee Guy and the Land Owner can enjoy a "waste of their time".
That's only if I had nothing better to do though ...
The Bee Guy moving them so quickly is a nice guy and/or might know or not want hell to "bee" raised …?
There might "bee" something written somewhere that someone who wants your County Vote would know.
Inspector? … and I 'm still confused on their questioning you on something
that must have been the reason why he/she arrived?

:Lurk5: for the next update ...

Last edited:
They brought the bees back at midnight 3 days ago. We are back to the same situation as they only moved the bees about 300ft back from where they were prior.
I'm not sure who the biggest A- hole is, the land owner or the bee keeper.
I have bees everywhere and it's only matter of time before i get wacked again. Tried to phone the bee guy but no answer and no return call.
Have already been in touch with a lawyer weeks ago and yes the nuisance act could be implemented.
Will wait another day and if no reply then the bylaw people will be called as well as the lawyer again.

I have the land owner pegged for 5 other infraction's, so ... her not being nice neighbor is really going to impact what happens on her land in the future.

Bill

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread