Couldn't get the Apple thing to work so cut and pasted from a C&D article E-Ray tested.
"
The hybrid system's Stealth mode also enables you to sidestep the V-8's startup bark, which is loud enough to wake all the dogs in the neighborhood. You can slink away in dead silence on electric power and continue making like an EV for about five miles as long as you don't exceed 45 mph. Tickle the accelerator a bit too much, and the engine fires up. Among the other firsts, EV mode puts you behind the wheel of the first front-wheel-drive Corvette.

In normal driving, the V-8's engine note is as muted in Tour mode as it is in a Z51 equipped with the performance exhaust, which is standard here. The e-motor assist is so well integrated that without watching the readouts in the display, you'd never know when it's contributing power. The system also seems to pay dividends in fuel efficiency. The EPA fuel-economy estimates for the E-Ray match those of the Stingray at 16 mpg city, 24 mpg highway, and 19 mpg combined which means that, unlike the Z06, there won't be a gas-guzzler tax. In our 75-mph highway fuel-economy test, the E-Ray managed 23 mpg, and it averaged 16 mpg overall."

Article here....
Tested: 2024 Chevrolet Corvette E-Ray Is Wired for Speed

Couldn't get the Apple thing to work so cut and pasted from a C&D article E-Ray tested.
"
The hybrid system's Stealth mode also enables you to sidestep the V-8's startup bark, which is loud enough to wake all the dogs in the neighborhood. You can slink away in dead silence on electric power and continue making like an EV for about five miles as long as you don't exceed 45 mph. Tickle the accelerator a bit too much, and the engine fires up. Among the other firsts, EV mode puts you behind the wheel of the first front-wheel-drive Corvette.

In normal driving, the V-8's engine note is as muted in Tour mode as it is in a Z51 equipped with the performance exhaust, which is standard here. The e-motor assist is so well integrated that without watching the readouts in the display, you'd never know when it's contributing power. The system also seems to pay dividends in fuel efficiency. The EPA fuel-economy estimates for the E-Ray match those of the Stingray at 16 mpg city, 24 mpg highway, and 19 mpg combined which means that, unlike the Z06, there won't be a gas-guzzler tax. In our 75-mph highway fuel-economy test, the E-Ray managed 23 mpg, and it averaged 16 mpg overall."

Article here....
Tested: 2024 Chevrolet Corvette E-Ray Is Wired for Speed
The Crapple article shows the Stingray with slightly better mpg for whatever reason suprisingly So many variables in these tests a grain of salt is always recommended. Five miles of pure EV range doesn’t seem particularly stellar. I haven’t really looked too closely at the tech incorporated into these models but I am assuming they have a MGU-K type of energy recovery system to recharge what appears to be a relatively small battery pack . Makes me want to look into it further out of curiosity if nothing else not being able to afford one, lol . But it no doubt is the future. I’m sure anyone interested already knows about this but thought maybe some hadn’t seen this. :bviking::study:

The Crapple article shows the Stingray with slightly better mpg for whatever reason suprisingly So many variables in these tests a grain of salt is always recommended. Five miles of pure EV range doesn’t seem particularly stellar. I haven’t really looked too closely at the tech incorporated into these models but I am assuming they have a MGU-K type of energy recovery system to recharge what appears to be a relatively small battery pack . Makes me want to look into it further out of curiosity if nothing else not being able to afford one, lol . But it no doubt is the future. I’m sure anyone interested already knows about this but thought maybe some hadn’t seen this. :bviking::study:
Compare the weights of the 3 models, and I think the E-Ray is the heaviest, so takes more ICE fuel to move it.
It also has a pretty anemic (in my opinion, and yours?) EV system, and I would imagine that it costs some ICE fuel economy to "help and/or charge" the EV part, in some cases. In other words, it may be "pushing" the FWD part of the car, sometimes.
Just speculating, and theorizing about the slightly poorer fuel economy.
As you point out, the 5 miles at <45mph on battery, isn't going to help much, if at all.
I think GM was trying to virtue signal, "look world, we want to be carbon neutral, too, so we made a hybrid Vette".

Compare the weights of the 3 models, and I think the E-Ray is the heaviest, so takes more ICE fuel to move it.
It also has a pretty anemic (in my opinion, and yours?) EV system, and I would imagine that it costs some ICE fuel economy to "help and/or charge" the EV part, in some cases. In other words, it may be "pushing" the FWD part of the car, sometimes.
Just speculating, and theorizing about the slightly poorer fuel economy.
As you point out, the 5 miles at <45mph on battery, isn't going to help much, if at all.
I think GM was trying to virtue signal, "look world, we want to be carbon neutral, too, so we made a hybrid Vette".

All of what you said, especially the “ Virtue Signalling “” part. Current pending laws make it mandatory if enacted, which is becoming somewhat more questionable looking at recent polls . But I digress, it really all comes down to what makes the shareholder/markets happy. Or at least hopeful .
Corvette E-Ray Fuel Economy Is Worse Than the Stingray, but We're Still Impressed!

Oct 13, 2023 | 2:23 AM

While the Corvette E-Ray gives up a smidge of efficiency to the base Stingray, it more than makes up for that in terms of performance.

The all-new Corvette E-Ray debuted as the very first hybrid Corvette in that model’s long and illustrious history. Whether you love the idea of an electrified Corvette or absolutely hate it, the fact remains, this is a historic machine, one that will seemingly pave the way for a pure EV at some point in the future. Regardless, the mere mention of the word “hybrid” typically conjures up thoughts of improved fuel economy figures and a more economical experience, but as it turns out, that isn’t the case with the Corvette E-Ray.

According to recently-released EPA estimates at fueleconomy.gov, the Corvette E-Ray returns

16 mpg city / 24 mpg highway /19 mpg combined

Comparatively speaking, the 2024 Corvette Stingray is rated at

16 mpg city / 25 mpg highway /19 mpg combined

At first glance, it might seem a bit disappointing to learn that the cheaper, non-hybrid Stingray is slightly more efficient on the highway, but when we dive into the details, we’re actually impressed. Here’s why…

The E-ray is heavy. The coupe version tips the scales at 3,890 pounds, while the convertible weighs 4,056 pounds – compared to the Stingray at 3,647 pounds. The E-Ray is also roughly 260 pounds heavier than the Z06, with which it shares bodywork.

Despite this disadvantage, the Corvette E-Ray is still the quickest-accelerating Corvette to date, with a 0-60 time of just 2.5 seconds thanks to its 160 horsepower advantage, which we would say negates the one measly mpg loss on the highway compared to the base Stingray, which does the same deed in around 2.9 seconds. We’ll have to wait and see how the two cars stack up against each other on the track to form a consensus opinion, but the E-Ray looks promising in that regard in spite of its added heft as well.

A Little More Context

This comparison also takes us back to 2015, when the C7 Z06 debuted with its supercharged LT4 V8, churning out a cool 650 horsepower compared to the Stingray’s 460, with the performance exhaust. The blower robbed the Z06 of around 6-8 mpg on the highway depending on transmission choice, which is a significant drop.

We’re sure the engineers could have made the E-Ray more of a fuel sipper, but as they said from the very beginning, this hybrid system isn’t about economy. It’s about performance. And the fact that GM was able to add copious amounts of power and performance via a heavy hybrid system in the E-Ray and only drop 1 mpg in the process makes it all the more impressive.

Photos: Chevrolet

I remember 34 well. That was the year that....No... that was 54....Oh yeah 34 was the year that....No.... that wasn't it either.... Never mind.... Where the hell is my bong .... :Banghead:
I remember 34 years ... twice over!

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Guys, maybe you did notice the DATE on my fake press release. Those who did, got the joke. It was meant as a joke. Sorry it was not received that way. I thought that due to its outrageous text, that it would have been obvious. Appologies.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: MKC8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.