Casual User
Mar 4, 2018
Shellbrook, Saskatchewan Canada
VetteCoins
Car
2020 C8 HTC-3LT Z51
Province
SK
Has anyone heard what impact the high wing spoiler has on top end of Z51 performance package? I think the stock Z51 spoiler has 400lb down force and reduces top speed to 184mph. Is info available as to pounds of workforce and top speed with high wing spoiler?

Most all aero additions to a car will reduce top speed somewhat. Spoilers, splitters, rockers, etc. But the trade off is that they will also help keep it a car instead of a plane.... The high wing on the ZR1 produced 900 lbs so gotta guess somewhere in between but haven't herd any concrete numbers on it.....

Reactions: Cruzin and Bixter44
Screenshot (127).png
Screenshot (128).png
Screenshot (130).png

I'm not sure if I've ever seen any published numbers on the effect of an accessory/aftermarket high wing spoiler on the top speed of a factory car.

I don't see why anyone would find this relevant. Someone who is willing to fork out the money for one of these is not interested in top end speed. They're either doing for the looks, or for track performance, where top speed is irrelevant.

Just my $0.02

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents
Motor 1.com estimates the top speed difference between 2019 ZR1 high wing compared to the low wing at 10 mph... give or take 16.09 kph.... Big difference for some as the top speed challenges have gotten more and more popular over the last several years... The Texas Mile for instance..

I
I'm not sure if I've ever seen any published numbers on the effect of an accessory/aftermarket high wing spoiler on the top speed of a factory car.

I don't see why anyone would find this relevant. Someone who is willing to fork out the money for one of these is not interested in top end speed. They're either doing for the looks, or for track performance, where top speed is irrelevant.

Just my $0.02

I respectfully disagree. I’ve definitely been interested in top end speed with my Z06s. That’s why I bought the Z06s not the Stingrays. The C7 Z06 clearly was faster on the track with the Stage 3 aero pulled off. This was a fast track though. Its on YouTube somewhere from a few years ago. Think it was up against a GTR and an ACR Viper.
On a shorter track or shopping mall parking lot. the Stage 3 is definitely what I would want. 😂😂
It’s not all about looks....

I

I respectfully disagree. I’ve definitely been interested in top end speed with my Z06s. That’s why I bought the Z06s not the Stingrays. The C7 Z06 clearly was faster on the track with the Stage 3 aero pulled off. This was a fast track though. Its on YouTube somewhere from a few years ago. Think it was up against a GTR and an ACR Viper.
On a shorter track or shopping mall parking lot. the Stage 3 is definitely what I would want. 😂😂
It’s not all about looks....

This is an interesting discussion.

I personally don't see Stage 3 aero to be similar to that of a high wing. The stage 2 and 3 aero on a factory C7 is a spoiler which will produce more drag per added lb of downforce than a wing, as it's running directly off the body of the vehicle. A high wing produces significantly more downforce (what was it, 300-400% over the Stage 3 Aero for the ZR-1 wing?) while producing less drag per lb of downforce. It's a lot more efficient way of producing downforce.

I have a friend who has a V8-swapped time-attack Miata. At Mosport (now known as Canadian Tire Motorsport Park), a former F1 world circuit, is an incredibly high speed circuit where there are only two low speed corners, the rest are balls-to-the-wall crazy high-speed corners. When he went from no aero to a big splitter on the front and wing on the back, he could easily maintain a good 20-30 mph faster through the corners and lost maybe 5 mph down the back straight (hitting speeds of 140 mph with an LS1).

That being said, 95% of people who are buying a Corvette with a high wing are never, ever bringing the potential out of the car. Very few will ever see a track, drag strip, or ran flat-out on a dried up lake bed. This was my biggest point. Have you ever had your Z06 up to 200 mph?

This is an interesting discussion.

I personally don't see Stage 3 aero to be similar to that of a high wing. The stage 2 and 3 aero on a factory C7 is a spoiler which will produce more drag per added lb of downforce than a wing, as it's running directly off the body of the vehicle. A high wing produces significantly more downforce (what was it, 300-400% over the Stage 3 Aero for the ZR-1 wing?) while producing less drag per lb of downforce. It's a lot more efficient way of producing downforce.

I have a friend who has a V8-swapped time-attack Miata. At Mosport (now known as Canadian Tire Motorsport Park), a former F1 world circuit, is an incredibly high speed circuit where there are only two low speed corners, the rest are balls-to-the-wall crazy high-speed corners. When he went from no aero to a big splitter on the front and wing on the back, he could easily maintain a good 20-30 mph faster through the corners and lost maybe 5 mph down the back straight (hitting speeds of 140 mph with an LS1).

That being said, 95% of people who are buying a Corvette with a high wing are never, ever bringing the potential out of the car. Very few will ever see a track, drag strip, or ran flat-out on a dried up lake bed. This was my biggest point. Have you ever had your Z06 up to 200 mph?

196. Ran out of power.
And your personal best?

Kudos.

I've hit 187 kmph (116 mph) at Shannonville and ran out of track (well, third gear, wasn't going to shift to fourth with 50m to the braking zone). I haven't been to Mosport yet and I'm not into drag racing.

Wow that’s impressive. Sure does feel good I agree... well till you run into the brake zone as you say. Gets the adrenaline going definitely.
Even the new carbon ceramics were struggling to slow that car down. All good though. Absolutely beautiful handling as well.
And... ya that was plenty fast enough for me. 😀

Wow that’s impressive. Sure does feel good I agree... well till you run into the brake zone as you say. Gets the adrenaline going definitely.
Even the new carbon ceramics were struggling to slow that car down. All good though. Absolutely beautiful handling as well.
And... ya that was plenty fast enough for me. 😀

I was running some seriously fast lap times for a Base C6., non-Z51.

Speaking of brakes, I didn't have upgraded brakes or pads. My brakes failed at least once during each session. :nailbiting: Heel-toe shifting is a lot easier when your brake pedal is on the floor. After 4 sessions, I was getting comfortable at those speeds. Just another Sunday drive (on a Monday).

Reactions: ddgermann
Thanks for all the information. I am considering the high wing spoiler for the looks but was curious about the performance impact. I'm more interested in handling and cornering than top speed. Ive never tracked my C5 but plan on taking the C8 to the track and learning to drive 😁

Thanks for all the information. I am considering the high wing spoiler for the looks but was curious about the performance impact. I'm more interested in handling and cornering than top speed. Ive never tracked my C5 but plan on taking the C8 to the track and learning to drive 😁

If you're intending on going to the track, then get all of the aero bits. They can make a big difference.

• Agree
I added a high wing, front and side skirts, rear diffuser with canards and YES it makes a huge difference.
One thing I've noticed is that if you add a wing, there will be so much extra downforce that you'll notice that your rear hatch will begin to sit noticeably lower and you'll need to compensate for this.
Unless you do a lot of drag racing, too much downforce isn't a real big deal, although it does slow the car a bit, but not that much and you will make it back in the corners because you won't need to slow down as much.
Corners and apexes are where the carbon additions really kick in.
The car is far more stable and adheres to the asphalt much better increasing traction and enabling the driver to maintain greater speeds with less wear and tear on the brakes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 3.32.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 3.32.13 PM.png
    750.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 3.33.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 3.33.37 PM.png
    774.9 KB · Views: 18
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.