Sep 9, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2014 Z51 corvette
Province
ON
Went for a cruise sunday and found out I had a burnt out drivers side headlight.... Has anyone had this happen? What type of HID did you put in and who did the installation? I'm thinking of going to the 6K HID. thx

This is a relatively common failure with the C7. Unfortunately, it is also fairly labour intensive as the front nose / bumper cover has to be removed in order to access the headlight modules.

I can't recommend a servicing agent as I would do this replacement myself, but I will offer a few suggestions.

First off, replace both bulbs. If one is gone it's just good insurance to replace the other. Any quality, name brand bulb will do the job but pick one with a good, realistic replacement warranty. If, by chance, the bulb replacements don't solve the problem then it's most likely that the ballast has failed. If this is the case, I would replace only the defective one.

As for the 6000K colour selection, this is very much a personal choice. These bulbs are entering the blue light spectrum and, in my opinion, are extremely functional and look great.

Best of luck
Ross

This is the reason why that stupid sensor on the top of the dash shouldn't turn on the lights at the slightest hint of darkness and turn them off once some resemblance of light is detected.

I have a brain, and would rather turn the lights on and off MYSELF.............dumbest thing GM has done with having this automatically dictated to you on this car (and many other GM vehicles).

Reactions: Pocono kid
This is the reason why that stupid sensor on the top of the dash shouldn't turn on the lights at the slightest hint of darkness and turn them off once some resemblance of light is detected.

I have a brain, and would rather turn the lights on and off MYSELF.............dumbest thing GM has done with having this automatically dictated to you on this car (and many other GM vehicles).

Hmmmmm.... Tony. Check your owners manual. Around pg. 137 for my C7.
Note: The O is suppose to be a symbol with the line at the top of it.

The automatic headlamp system
turns off when the exterior lamp
control is turned to O or the ignition
is off.
To turn automatic headlamp system
back on, turn the band to O again,
then release it

Hmmmmm.... Tony. Check your owners manual. Around pg. 137 for my C7.
Note: The O is suppose to be a symbol with the line at the top of it.

The automatic headlamp system
turns off when the exterior lamp
control is turned to O or the ignition
is off.
To turn automatic headlamp system
back on, turn the band to O again,
then release it
Do you have a US C7 car? The headlight stalk on my car stays in the "Auto" position and even if I turn it to off it springs back to Auto.

So basically when 1 start my car in the garage the lights come on immediately and as mentioned in my post I linked the instant I get home and pull into the garage on comes the lights (before when stock).

The messing around that I have done with the extra sensor I bought last year at least now gives me some time after I pull into the garage to shut the car off before the lights come on.

The stalk springing back is total BS IMO. Yeah, yeah the dealer will tell you it's like that to meet Canadian vehicle standards blah blah blah, and if that is the case then why did my 2013 Shelby GT500 have a headlight switch where I can manually turn on the hdlts or put the switch to "Auto"? Same thing with the GF's 2017 Mazda CX-3. She can have the switch in Auto or Off and turn the lights on herself when it is dark. There is no reason why the switch in GM vehicles has to stay in the Auto position and not be able to be turned off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.