Casual User
New Brunswick
Sep 20, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
1999 C5 Corvette
Province
NB
Good day.....I need help....LOL.....others might feel the same .........anyway....Ive done everything I saw here and then some right up to replacing the Ignition switch (Didnt replace the tumbler) on my 199 c5 Corvette . I do not want to throw money at it for nothing.It will not start.It was running then it was intermittent ,now it wont start.When I turn the key eveything comes on gauges work but no crank.I bypassed the Vats when it was running now even that wont start it......any ideas....thanks

First you need to buy

AC Delco part D1473D Ignition Lock Cylinder (Attention they don't come with the spring and tumbler or key )

Second ..

You need to go to the dealer and you need to have with you the ( old ignition Lock cylinder / tumbler and your old key ) why so that can coded the new ignition with your old key and they add the spring ...make sure you have a proof of your ownership to show .. it doesn't cost much

Did all that took it to dealer....they told me what I ordered didnt have all the parts and they could not use the old tumbler.....300 dollars for nothing at this point.......

They must use the old tumbler ignition because you need your old key work with new ignition . Your new ignition need to read your key code so the car can turn on ..They can't say no. If they do just go to ather dealership

he asked me where I bought the parts...I think he was pissed that I didnt buy them there (to expensive) then proceded to tell me he couldnt do it...I was suspicious but why argue.....Can a locksmith do this..........and could the tumbler keep the caar from starting....I put the old tumbler in the new ignition switch...but still the same.....there is a re-learn procdure which I was going to try just in case...

You shouldn't ask the dealer where you buy the parts ... Of course they pissed off they want you to buy the parts from them ...you need to buy it from RockAuto.com (Gm original parts )
you need to try another dealer but don't say to them that other dealer They refuse to do it... Try locksmith before going to dealer

Yea my mistake...wont happen again.........my issue is I dont want to throw any more money at it.....could the tumbler cause a no start.........and there is apparently a way to relearn the vats system.....

key works fine in the tumbler......dont know if the tumbler is reading the chip....

might be able to test the key by using multimeter to check ohms at the connection at the end of the tumbler that goes to the car vat wire..

Good day.....I need help....LOL.....others might feel the same .........anyway....Ive done everything I saw here and then some right up to replacing the Ignition switch (Didnt replace the tumbler) on my 199 c5 Corvette . I do not want to throw money at it for nothing.It will not start.It was running then it was intermittent ,now it wont start.When I turn the key eveything comes on gauges work but no crank.I bypassed the Vats when it was running now even that wont start it......any ideas....thanks
Hi...Im a Licensed tech...... Take the cables off your battery and starter. Clean the connections very well....That should fix it. DONT BUY anything......

dont think its that....I will check.........it was running fine when I used a resister to bypass it......have you ever heard of steps to relearn the Vats system ....I have found instructions to do this....I will try that tomorrow....but i am really stumped as of right now....and car is undriveable......

I am also thinking the ground on the starter might be the problem....will check tomorrow....thanks for info..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread