Matt Robinson

I'm New Here
You're 5
Mar 17, 2016
Mississauga,Ontario
VetteCoins
Hello from Mississauga.

My name is Matt and I have very recently become interested in Corvettes.
I have always wanted a sports car just for summer putzing around.
Until now little British MGB's or a Tr-6 were the fave ...but...try and find a good affordable one.
So...I have my eye on a 1986 Corvette.
This car was owned by a late neighbor next door to a family member and is
only a few blocks from my house.
I say late as the owner passed away suddenly.
The car in question is in good running order though it needs a few minor things.
Smog pump is making lots of noise and minor quibbles like the wipers
and a little problem with a headlight jamming(missing a screw in its housing).
Needs a tune up(plugs,wires, cap)
Car has been repainted in a metallic white(original was white)
has newly redone seats and a new Kenwood stereo and Focal amp and speakers.
Car has just over 221K on it..but that I read is not a worry with these cars.
No leaks either.Owner was driving the car right up to the day he passed last summer.
I can get the car for an extremely reasonable price from the estate.
So am I nuts or should I go for it?/

I have been doing alot of reading and searching on-line.
Also I see parts are no more expensive than any modern late model car.

Thanks in advance

I hope I can become a contributing member here with a car for the experience.

Matt

Matt, welcome to the forum.

My only suggestion would be perhaps to pay someone to have a look at the car to give you some guidance on its current value and what if any work needs to be done on it. There are lots of cars out there so be patient and if this one does not work out just keep looking.

I would suggest calling Manny at DaSilva Motorsport for advice on some type of appraisal.

Good luck and we really like pictures.

Matt, welcome to the forum.

My only suggestion would be perhaps to pay someone to have a look at the car to give you some guidance on its current value and what if any work needs to be done on it. There are lots of cars out there so be patient and if this one does not work out just keep looking.

I would suggest calling Manny at DaSilva Motorsport for advice on some type of appraisal.

Good luck and we really like pictures.

This 'vette had actually been recently appraised but seem to be more from a collectors value standpoint.
I have a copy of the appraisal..he goes mostly into detail on condition(originality) etc as opposed to mechanical.
He did make a few general notes mechanically..mainly that one of the ancillary components on the front of the engine was noisy(AIR pump) of which I knew already.
Also he observed no smoke from exhaust.
This car is overall in good condition and whatever it needs,the price will be low enough I can have them dealt with and not
blow my budget.

Matt

Hi Matt! Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a good way to get into some summer cruising! If the price is reasonable, I say go for it! Woo!
Just make sure if you get it, to post up some pics! We love pictures.

Hi Matt. Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the car's value. Black 03 does have a point though. Unless you are also financially prepared for some unknowns, it wouldn't hurt to have a decent mechanic have a look over the car. Things as simple as a simple brake job can run into an extra thousand pretty easily.

You will love the corvette. Don't forget to wave.... and like the others, we want to see pictures....:Cheers2:

Eric

welcome to the forum Mat, great bunch of guys here to help you with your project....before you buy be sure to get it on a hoist and check it out, you've had some good replies so far make sure there are no surprises, maybe even get a safety check appraisal if possible.... good luck

Welcome Matt, I suggest you take it to a good mechanic and give it a thorough going over. They are great cars , but time in the shop can cost. You are right ,most basic parts are pretty low cost, and if you can do some work yourself it will certainly help keep the cost down. If you do have some problems this forum is a great spot for help. Good Luck.

it's been almost four months since Matt last logged on to the forum so I'm hoping he got it and has been too busy driving it . Guess we will see if he comes back after driving season is over in Missisauga.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.