Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2024
VetteCoins
Car
95 C4
Province
ON
Asking for a friend....no really. My 88 year old neighbour has a 95 C4 that is his baby. He asked me to give him a hand as he had a bad motor on the drivers side headlight. He had already ordered the new motor and tinkered a bit, but he was still having issues. As I understand it the original issue was the drivers side headlight was only partially opening.
He told me that he had replaced the drive motor but he realized that the issue was created by a slight bend in the bracket that limited travel. He repaired this and the mechanism ran smooth. So he put the old drive motor back in, everything in the identical position it was when he removed it. The problem he has now is that the lights rotate out of sequence, one up one down. If you manually match the light position the bad light (drivers side) does not move when you turn the lights on (the good one does), but immediately moves open when you turn the lights off.
I took a look and he demonstrated. The good headlight is in the closed position, the bad (or out of sequence driver side) has been manually adjusted to match. Turn on the ignition, sequence the lights. The good passenger side rotates to open, the bad drivers side does not move. Sequence the lights again and the bad drivers side immediately rotates open while the good passenger side closes. They remain out of sequence from then on. We manually matched them again but they remain out of sequence (the bad drivers side ignores the first actuation, then moves on the second placing it our of sequence again). We even tried mismatching them to start off knowing the first actuation would be ignored by the bad drivers side. Magically, when out of sequence it works on the first actuation to ensure they stay mismatched

The system is not that complicated so we are dumbfounded as to how two intelligent people cannot devise a solution. No matter what we try the lights are determined to operate out of sequence (one in one out). The drive motor is good, the gears are intact and move smoothly both manually and when driven by the motor. The wiring is factory and intact. We have tried cycling with the bad light unplugged first then plugging it in, no change.

Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated. He is at the point of wanting to take it to a mechanic and I don't want him to spend the money.

Thank you

G

• Scared
Reactions: 1st Vette
Asking for a friend....no really. My 88 year old neighbour has a 95 C4 that is his baby. He asked me to give him a hand as he had a bad motor on the drivers side headlight. He had already ordered the new motor and tinkered a bit, but he was still having issues. As I understand it the original issue was the drivers side headlight was only partially opening.
He told me that he had replaced the drive motor but he realized that the issue was created by a slight bend in the bracket that limited travel. He repaired this and the mechanism ran smooth. So he put the old drive motor back in, everything in the identical position it was when he removed it. The problem he has now is that the lights rotate out of sequence, one up one down. If you manually match the light position the bad light (drivers side) does not move when you turn the lights on (the good one does), but immediately moves open when you turn the lights off.
I took a look and he demonstrated. The good headlight is in the closed position, the bad (or out of sequence driver side) has been manually adjusted to match. Turn on the ignition, sequence the lights. The good passenger side rotates to open, the bad drivers side does not move. Sequence the lights again and the bad drivers side immediately rotates open while the good passenger side closes. They remain out of sequence from then on. We manually matched them again but they remain out of sequence (the bad drivers side ignores the first actuation, then moves on the second placing it our of sequence again). We even tried mismatching them to start off knowing the first actuation would be ignored by the bad drivers side. Magically, when out of sequence it works on the first actuation to ensure they stay mismatched

The system is not that complicated so we are dumbfounded as to how two intelligent people cannot devise a solution. No matter what we try the lights are determined to operate out of sequence (one in one out). The drive motor is good, the gears are intact and move smoothly both manually and when driven by the motor. The wiring is factory and intact. We have tried cycling with the bad light unplugged first then plugging it in, no change.

Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated. He is at the point of wanting to take it to a mechanic and I don't want him to spend the money.

Thank you

G
I'd suggest you repost this in the DIY and the General Corvette Discussion. You should get more C4 owners to see it. Here's the links

I know nothing, but it sounds like the sensors, if they exist, are wired incorrectly or in the wrong place. Something says "I'm open" and "I'm closed"?
Murray, good thinking. I am not aware of sensors but worth checking. We did move the car outside in the sun to ensure there was no ambient light sensor in the mix. Thank you for the response.
G

Reactions: Murray20c8
Status
Not open for further replies.