Power User
Oct 30, 2013
Haliburton, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Z06
Province
ON
Based on the great reviews on this site I booked an appointment to have my car picked up by Manny at Dasilva for May 11/14. I feel confident that the issues I have with my car will be well taken car of.

Your input into repair/modification shops really is important. What better testament to great service than the projects discussed here.

Murray Adam

Based on the great reviews on this site I booked an appointment to have my car picked up by Manny at Dasilva for May 11/14. I feel confident that the issues I have with my car will be well taken car of.

Your input into repair/modification shops really is important. What better testament to great service than the projects discussed here.

Murray Adam

Cool Murray -- Manny and his team will treat you and the car well.....

What issues are you having fixed?

Can't wait to see that bad boy. I'll make a special trip to see it when it arrives.

When you have your own thread I'll gladly transfer these posts to it to keep this one on topic.
PM me when you make that thread and I'll make the necessary transfers.

Cheers,
Colin.

Colin.

--for Murray who will bring you up to speed when he gets time.

There's a sale on threads this week so you may as well have your own. :D (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

Cheers,
Colin.

sounds like a great bunch of guys there… Its always nice to know that your car is treated well when you are away from it and leaving it in the hands of strangers…
I bring mine to Davenport Motorsports in Calgary, Alberta…these guys are truly great at what they do…they do tons of Corvettes as well…. They did the mods to my ZL1… check out my Dyno run… cheers!
Camaro ZL1 with our Stage 5 package - YouTube

cheers!

I have owned my Z06 since new in December of 2003 and have spent very little money on it since. I think the car is overdue for some regular maintenance so Manny is going to flush and replace fluids in the radiator, power steering, clutch, transmission and brakes.

I am putting on new wheels and tires so an alignment is also in order. Some time ago the front facia got scratched, no one is owning up to that one, so he is going to remove the entire assembly and repair, repaint and polish it for me.

The biggest concern is the replacement of the much talked about valve springs and avoiding engine failure because of it. My car's build time falls right at the end of the "problem" time line so to me it is cheap insurance having them replaced. He will replace the plugs and wires at that time as well.

I have a couple of other things I want taken care of that I will talk to Manny about. My car has very few miles, 17K, in fact in the first three years I owned it I drove it very little, one year not at all. You know how life tends to throw one of those little curves as you?

I really would like to get down to Manny's for his charity event but I am not sure I can make. My car will be there however so have a look.

I have owned my Z06 since new in December of 2003 and have spent very little money on it since. I think the car is overdue for some regular maintenance so Manny is going to flush and replace fluids in the radiator, power steering, clutch, transmission and brakes.

I am putting on new wheels and tires so an alignment is also in order. Some time ago the front facia got scratched, no one is owning up to that one, so he is going to remove the entire assembly and repair, repaint and polish it for me.

The biggest concern is the replacement of the much talked about valve springs and avoiding engine failure because of it. My car's build time falls right at the end of the "problem" time line so to me it is cheap insurance having them replaced. He will replace the plugs and wires at that time as well.

I have a couple of other things I want taken care of that I will talk to Manny about. My car has very few miles, 17K, in fact in the first three years I owned it I drove it very little, one year not at all. You know how life tends to throw one of those little curves as you?

I really would like to get down to Manny's for his charity event but I am not sure I can make. My car will be there however so have a look.

Sure would be nice if you could make it to the COPING event, Murray. The car will be fine at Manny's and I'll be glad to take a picture or 2 of it while it's nestled into its temporary home.
Let us know your plans.

I see that you're booked in for May 11th -- My C4 is booked in for April 7th. Sure hope I don't need to put the plow on the front.:rolleyes:

C.

A followup to Murray's trip to Manny's that was to be on the 11th:

Murray said:
Colin, I cannot find the thread you started for me in the C5 section. Manny was supposed to pick the car up on May 11 but had another delivery to Northern Ontario so it made sense for him to pick mine up on the way back down. I still cannot load photos but I have attached a couple and if you can maybe you can post them for me. The wheels are CCW SP 16A with Michelin Pilot Sports 305 rears265 fronts both 19" diameter.
I saw your wheels at Manny's Murray and they are beauties.
Colin.

My car's build time falls right at the end of the "problem" time line so to me it is cheap insurance having them replaced.
what is the problem time you are mentioning, i'm looking at an '03 this week. Is there a VIN# sequence?

good choice on the wheels, looking forward to seeing it at Manny's if it's still there for the Coping Centre Vet Jamboree

Last edited:
VT65 it is a confusing situation but on one of the forums of 151 reported cases of valve spring failure 6 occurred in 2001, 91 in 2002, 50 in 2003 and 4 in 2004. These certainly may not be all the incidents of valve spring failure but is a pretty good representative number.

In 2003 the failure rate started to drop after mid year, mine was built in June of 2003. I think it is cheap insurance to get it done. The engine failures have been major in terms of internal damage.

Hopefully that will give you some insight into what has happened.

My car will still be at Manny's on the 17th, wish I could be there too. Thanks for the comments on the wheels. Can't wait to see them on the car.

Back in the later '60s the L78 Chevelles were known to drop valves with either the keepers pulling through the retainers or broken valve springs. Quite often the dropped valve windowed the cylinder wall in the process. Much of it had to do with excessive rpm where the valve springs couldn't control the valve action. Heavier/better springs mostly cured that problem. Could be an rpm related problem here too. Just a thought.

Finally managed to make to Manny's to retrieve my car. DaSilva Motorsports performed some maintenance for me. They replaced all the fluids and their paint shop took care of a "mysterious" scratch on the front end to perfection. As insurance for the motor they replaced the valve springs and guides, Manny said nothing looked amiss with the valve springs but it is cheap insurance and piece of mind to get this work done. They installed my new wheels and tires, I am really pleased with the look.

As a bonus I got to meet up with Steamer, Rob Roy and his buddy from the west coast Herb. They were suffering a little with the humidity on Southern Ontario. Thanks guys for waiting for me to get there. Sorry to have missed Colin but it was very short notice.

After driving home in the pouring rain I need to get the car cleaned up and I will post some pictures. Again thanks Manny, great to see the shop and the many interesting projects underway.

Finally managed to make to Manny's to retrieve my car. DaSilva Motorsports performed some maintenance for me. They replaced all the fluids and their paint shop took care of a "mysterious" scratch on the front end to perfection. As insurance for the motor they replaced the valve springs and guides, Manny said nothing looked amiss with the valve springs but it is cheap insurance and piece of mind to get this work done. They installed my new wheels and tires, I am really pleased with the look.

As a bonus I got to meet up with Steamer, Rob Roy and his buddy from the west coast Herb. They were suffering a little with the humidity on Southern Ontario. Thanks guys for waiting for me to get there. Sorry to have missed Colin but it was very short notice.

After driving home in the pouring rain I need to get the car cleaned up and I will post some pictures. Again thanks Manny, great to see the shop and the many interesting projects underway.

Its was great to have you in the shop Murray .
Thanks for letting us work on your car

Last edited by a moderator:
Gino was right

Black cars do look better in the shade. Shinny results of Manny's Stage Five detailing. Turned out pretty good I think. Wheels are 19" CCW 16sp with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Spent all day cleaning them yesterday, probably for sale very soon!!:rofl:

First time posting pictures hope this works.

udIgFUWl.jpg
KeBxdaol.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.