Apr 8, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2000 Hatch Base
Province
BC
I just recently restored my factory clear Targa top. I used Emery wet dry paper. Started with hand sanding using 220 to get the coating off then 400, 800, 1000, 2000. Always sand in opposite direction its easier to see when you get the previous sanding scratches out. Then 3000 grit on an orbital sander. Then I used headlight compound with a compound pad on my polisher, then finished it with Maguiar's polish. I started sanding before I thought to take a before and after. The worst part was the left side where I already sanded. Anyway I was ready to throw it out now all I need is a protective layer against UV and I'm good to go. Any thoughts on a good protector?

Attachments

• IMG_3432.JPG
    IMG_3432.JPG
    421 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3434.JPG
    IMG_3434.JPG
    396.4 KB · Views: 78
I just recently restored my factory clear Targa top. I used Emery wet dry paper. Started with hand sanding using 220 to get the coating off then 400, 800, 1000, 2000. Always sand in opposite direction its easier to see when you get the previous sanding scratches out. Then 3000 grit on an orbital sander. Then I used headlight compound with a compound pad on my polisher, then finished it with Maguiar's polish. I started sanding before I thought to take a before and after. The worst part was the left side where I already sanded. Anyway I was ready to throw it out now all I need is a protective layer against UV and I'm good to go. Any thoughts on a good protector?

I've used the cheaper Krylon UV resistant clear coating on my antique fire hydrant restorations and it seems to hold up well but for the long term not sure. AIT make a more industrial use coating but have never used it. They advertise "lifetime" if that means anything.

• Informative
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Great job. :thumbs:

• Agree
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
That is awesome! I’d be crazy nervous about doing this, unless the top was to the point where I’d be throwing it out anyway if it didn’t turn out. But that looks fantastic!!!!
I heard a good UV protectant is some good ol black paint. :Biggrin:
but on a more serious note, I tried Wipe New on some lenses I had. The strong smell of the stuff made me think it should work and it did work ok, but I think it actually left marks in my lenses.
For a top (and if I was ok with spending some money), I’d ask a body shop about the UV blocking properties of clear coat paint.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread