Those phone apps stuff might be better but still going to update the Nav in my car and if this is the last and latest update great, if not I'll decide later if I want to toss another US$100 into another update for the car. I also have my Garmin Nav that I use in the other cars and any rentals that I might use when travelling. It came with Europe maps and lifetime free updates also and looking forward to the day when I will do overseas travel, rent a car and Nav my way around not worrying too much about getting lost and road signs that aren't english.

When you use Waze or whatever on your phone you need your data on correct? Do you have unlimited data and region when you use it? I have a set data limit every month and Canada wide coverage but if I hit the US there will be roaming charges and definitely not paying those fees just to use a nav app on my phone better or not so for me definitely not free.

Just follow the instructions on these updates. Deviate from them at the risk of having another thread to discuss how it didn’t work for you. Did 4 C7s per instructions and they were fine running during installation. Did a GmC Sierra and two Cadillac XT’s at the same. Did the test after and now use smartphone apps. Decided to put my future nav update money toward a better smartphone plan with unlimited data.

Be happy you do not have a 2015 Acadia (no android auto or carplay until 2016) because the update can only be sourced and installed thru a deslership 💰💸. Hoping someday for a reasonable android auto and carplay aftermarket solution as we are keeping this daily driver.

Last edited:
I tested flipping the update usbs on our two C7s and the update would not even start … so yes … I can confirm the usbs are vin specific. I bought 7 various vehicle updates (4 for C7’s) and the packages only have a product code on them (no vin) … so I did not know which usb was for which … as soon as the correct one was plugged in, it updated.

Afterimage - have you thought of using your wifi in your car? I turn mine on for trips and it does seem quite cost effective and allows wife to use her iPad while we travel.
Nope, I believe using the wifi hotspot in your car requires Onstar to be activated and it isn't in my car (didn't either on my 09 Z06) + again subscription plan required every month and not interested in paying for that feature in my car.

I picked it up yesterday but I won't install it till later in the week, gonna look into getting some answers as to why I can't install it the way I'm thinking and avoid all the idling that they want you to do. Again still waiting for some answers if anyone has them. Other than preventing the battery from draining why is it required to have the engine running while doing the update? If preventing draining the battery is the only reason the battery charger solution takes care of that when ignition is "on" and no idling required.

Last edited:
IIRC our cars will automatically shut off, including the accesories, after about 20 minutes if idling. I suggest hopping in your car every 15 minutes just to roll it a bit on the driveway.
Under "extended parking" in the manual, it says if car is parked/engine running with the key fob outside the car it'll shut off after 30mins, if fob is in the car shuts off after 1 hour. There is a timer and on auto cars it resets if taken out of "park" in a manual car timer resets when you move the car and exceed 2.5mph (4km/h).

So this might throw a wrench into my "using the battery charger" method to do my update........................

Last edited:
When I did mine I sat in the car with it running outside. I don't recall it taking very long to complete the update. I was in southern Arizona when I did the update but your location shouldn't matter.
Also, I do have a subscription to OnStar but my cost is $15 per month for a basic plan and Another $15 per month when I turn data on.

My nav is now updated, took a total of 40 mins to do it. Once I plugged in the USB it went to 4% in like 2 mins then sat there for like 10 mins till the % started going up in regular intervals. Hit 50% in like 20 mins or so then it went fairly quickly till it got to 99% then it hanged there for close to 15mins. Being stuck on Gretzky for that long was agonizing along with the idling (yes because of the stupid idle timer I caved)...............F-ing hated just running the car like that and not moving for the 40 mins.

At least it's installed and I did that address check to see that I do have the latest version installed. I had a copy of the instructions and pre update looked up that address listed on my old nav version and it wasn't there now it is.

All good, now gotta take the car back out and get the tires to spit some gravel and commit my weekly crime to blow out all that BS idling from my engine and exhaust.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread