I noticed that there is a sale on a Nav update for C7 cars. My nav is from when I bought my car (Oct. 2019). I had read somewhere that the new update available from GM will be the last up to date map for C7 cars so thinking of getting the USB drive and update my Nav?

So anybody got the latest updated Nav update for their C7?

Tony

I’ve stopped using it. I setup and am more familiar with carplay now (both android & apple). I have an unlimited data plan now on my phone. I like google maps and waze for my nav as updates are automatic and closer to being up-to-date. I do fall back on the GM Nav when I am not getting cell service (mainly when going thru the indigenous areas).
I did do one update on my 2016 & 2017 C7s and found they were already out of date for YYC & YEG. It was a bit of a 💸 feeling …

Paying $99 for the update (on sale) is also what got me to update back then and is much better than paying $159 … so that is the good part 🙂👍🏻

Last edited:
I noticed that there is a sale on a Nav update for C7 cars. My nav is from when I bought my car (Oct. 2019). I had read somewhere that the new update available from GM will be the last up to date map for C7 cars so thinking of getting the USB drive and update my Nav?

So anybody got the latest updated Nav update for their C7?

Tony
Interesting and thanks for the note! I took delivery of my 2019 in mid-August 2018 so my nav is out of date for sure .... and I use it a lot.
Yeah, I think I will make a move on this update!
Thanks again, Tony.
:Cheers2:

Funny thing … my daughter relocated to New Brunswick. We bought her a CAA membership as Dad is not there to “rescue her” if her 2017 Trax has a problem. She also relies on Carplay than the GM Nav. CAA mailed her an updated “Maritimes fold-out Map”. She folded it out on her Dining Table and said “oh this is quite the novelty” 😂👍🏻

Interesting and thanks for the note! I took delivery of my 2019 in mid-August 2018 so my nav is out of date for sure .... and I use it a lot.
Thanks again, Tony.
:Cheers2:L
👋🏻😁👍🏻
Done many updates on GM vehicles previous to carplay.
It is very easy to successfully install … as long as you follow the instructions.

Last edited:
Thanks again, Tony.
:Cheers2:
I believe the sale price is good till end of June (not 100% certain) but free US shipping is good till that time.

If u go for this update b4 I do let me know how it is compared to the older version.

👆🏻Had someone rant back at me a few years back that its not free because it requires a smartphone and data plan and reasoned the $159 was less. I threw the towel in and said “have a nice day” - because couldn’t text them to say that 😂👍🏻

I use Waze. It’s accurate and it’s free.
Oh really?
Al. When I bumped into you at Northgate GMC you were standing on the sidewalk looking through one of these!
.... Charting your path back to Bonnyville, I presume?
Screenshot_20220601-204555_Chrome.jpg

Yes updated mine last May on my 2019 built April 2018.
Got the same discounted purchase deal. Update took 45-50 minutes as mentioned.
It did pick up some new roads etc. If you use it a lot it’s worth the $.
I talked to three map update people and the third gave me the straight goods. Note the update provider is not GM, they supply for about every car maker except Ford. They told me they have these sales every spring or maybe at Christmas. I told him I could not update my C6 NAV CD after around 2018, but he said not to worry the C7 would have updates available for a while yet. He also told me if you don't use the mapping very much then wait and renew maybe every five years. Don't think you can buy a flash drive with the updates on it and then install in another C7 because it self destructs once you load it.

Picking up my USB drive thingie soon. So I've been reading the install instructions and it mentions to run the car at idle while the update is being done and it can take 50 mins to do it or longer.

Can anyone tell me why you need to start the car and idle the engine for that long to do the update? The obvious thing I can think of is maybe GM doesn't want you to run down the battery if you just put the car in accessory mode while updating.

Idling that long and not going anywhere with the car is my Bain, gas costs a lot now (especially 94 octane) so I was thinking that I have my battery maintainer that I hook up to a car when I use my cooler bleeder. It can push up to 15amps into a battery or be fully automatic so any reason why I can't hook up the maintainer and have the car "on" but not running and do the update that way????

IIRC our cars will automatically shut off, including the accesories, after about 20 minutes if idling. I suggest hopping in your car every 15 minutes just to roll it a bit on the driveway.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 BAD 9T9
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread