Apr 30, 2012
Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2005 C6 1SB
There is talk on one of the other car web sites about the possibility of hackers gaining access to your car's computer through the OnStar setup. If GM has access to your computer, you can be sure that some hacker can and will do the same. I dare say that GM has never considered this in their design of the OnSTar system. I'm no expert on computers, far from it, but I can see the possibility of problems.

Sounds about right. I know personally of American Vette owners with OnStar that pull the fuse because OnStar "sells" the infromation to insurance companies. So if you've been driving hard it will show up throw OnStar which they "give" to your insurance company, and the next thing you know your rates go up. So finding out that someone can hack into it doesn't surprise me in the least.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

I somehow doubt that the car can be hacked by using on-star, or 10's of thousands of cars would be gone by now.
So, the title on that article says OnStar, but the summary says absolutely nothing about it, and the whole thing requires OBD port access...that isn't a remote exploit. It's a local act that, if you could then access the OnStar system, would be really no different than rolling your own cell interface to the OBD port.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread