Nik

Staff member
Power User
Administrator
Beta
Jan 11, 2009
VetteCoins
General Motors Performance now offers a warranty-compliant air intake upgrade for the current generation of Chevrolet Corvette, capable of boosting maximum horsepower by as much as 17.
Using a revised airbox and a dry media filter (as opposed to many oiled-up aftermarket options), the intake can reduce restriction by as much as 30 percent. On the Corvette ZR1, with its supercharged 6.2-liter LT5 V-8, it cuts restriction by 26 percent and adds 17 horsepower for a total of 772. Corvette Z06 owners too can gain performance from the intake, which frees up the intake by 28 percent and generates an additional 11 horsepower for the car’s supercharged 6.2-liter LT4 V-8, for a total of 661 horsepower.
intake1.jpg

Owners of naturally-aspirated Corvettes get a 30 percent restriction reduction and presumably some extra induction noise but no extra power on the dynamometer. A trip to a local tuner may be able to free...

Continue reading...

Reactions: ccltj and ddgermann
I put this in my car Nik. The dealership stated 9 HP but and I didn’t feel any increase. There is a bit more induction noise at higher loads but nothing Dodge Hellcatish for distinctive supercharged sound.
The price is about $900 however I got it for far far less from them due to a relationship thing buying 3 cars there last year.
I got it for the looks only and wasn’t after HP. As it’s factory and doesn’t require a tune, the warranty is also unaffected.
It’s also an easy install with no modifications required if anyone wants to put it on themselves.
Is it a serious performance upgrade...?? Hell no. Not without some other stuff done that this mod will possibly support. So if anyone is considering it, don’t expect to feel a performance difference...it’s for show and personal pleasure. 😂

Here it is installed in my car.
F87DDE5D-ED99-431E-8FFB-E1F17BD9C0AB.jpeg
393A2358-ED8F-465B-AF77-424A06BC5396.jpeg

I like the JAKE Corvette racing logo..... That looks pretty cool. I checked this out on ebay, and you're pretty much spot on regarding price. All said and done it would be about $900.00 shipped to my door. Hmmmmm......$900 for 11 hp.......... If you were raving about an increased induction noise, I might be more inclined to purchase it. I also like the sounds of 661hp and the logo, along with knowing my engine is breathing easier.................maybe Santa will help me out..........although I haven't been a good boy this year............again............. :)

Reactions: ccltj and ddgermann
Thinking of ordering a C7 Stingray with that option plus performance exhaust, which will be enough H/P for me.

Here's a quote from GM Authority.

"And despite the fact that the Corvette Stingray, Stingray Z51 and Grand Sport do not see a power increase, we still say that reducing restrictive airflow is a good thing that you and your C7 Vette will appreciate. And if nothing else, that Jake logo is just awesome.

The 17 HP boost is advertised for the ZR1. It drops to 9-11 for the Z06. As Derek previously mentioned, he added it to his Z06 mainly for the looks. And it does look good. The performance NPP is a must have though... IMO

Reactions: ddgermann
Just returned from PRI show in Indy and talked to GM engineer working on performance intakes and he stated that there were gains on Stingray but GM policy is to not publish any gain below 10hp and that there were gains on Stingray because of 30% restriction reduction. He also said the published numbers for LT4 and LT5 are worst case and ultra conservative. All of the development work is done on engine dyno as GM does not allow chassis dyno due to the fact it is very easy to manipulate the numbers. The new 6.2 Siverado intake has 17% restriction reduction and hp gains which he told me but again not published .

• Informative
Reactions: lupo
Just returned from PRI show in Indy and talked to GM engineer working on performance intakes and he stated that there were gains on Stingray but GM policy is to not publish any gain below 10hp and that there were gains on Stingray because of 30% restriction reduction. He also said the published numbers for LT4 and LT5 are worst case and ultra conservative. All of the development work is done on engine dyno as GM does not allow chassis dyno due to the fact it is very easy to manipulate the numbers. The new 6.2 Siverado intake has 17% restriction reduction and hp gains which he told me but again not published .

Interesting inside take on this one thanks. From the drivers seat I didn’t feel any difference, but the gains are likely up in the higher RPM range where the supercharger is really wailing the air into the engine. There may be noticeable gains on the track but if you’re feeling it on the street... you’re likely heading to jail. 😂
But I do hear a bit more supercharger sound and really like the way it looks. For a factory mod... it’s a good one.

Vararam has some more than optimistic numbers. I picked up ours from a guy who was going superchaged for $125 and that is about all any of these intakes are worth new. Some before and after quarter mile times or track times would be the only way you are going to see/feel any difference. 40 hp???? If nothing else, when people look under the hood, they might just start to wondering what else has been done. ;)

1547370027723.png

You are absolutely correct Keith. $ 4.00 worth of plastic, fancy terminology for how plastic is made, and the icing on the cake is not only the claim of 40+ HP gains, but up to 37 of those ponies is amazingly claimed to be transferred directly to the rear wheels. It's a whole new automotive breakthrough when a new air filter can shave 3.5 tenths off your 1/4 mile time (ram air or not). Wonder how many guys know they can turn their stock C6 into an under 10 second car that easily. If we'd have only known that back in the 70's, i'd have had the discharge side of my vacuum cleaner duct taped to the air breather on my 340 Duster. Hmmmm.... Where's that Dyson...
Caution. The above may contain a smidgeon of sarcasm. :rofl:

I had my dealer order performance intake for me rather than select it as an option on my zr1 and they threw part and installation in free and I retain original airbox and filter win win I think
Hope thats the least they would do selling a zr1. Think you’ll notice any addtional hp over the 755hp? Many notice nothing. But the part sure looks cool!!!!!

I never got to compare the 2 but I figure another 17hp would get a wee bit more tire spin lol at 770hp it has to be awful hot out to get traction I also have a hellcat redeye 797hp only 305s on it same thing lots of smoke not much traction

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread