Jul 28, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
1988 Corvette
Province
NS
Wednesday it was -10 and 20-25 cms of snow. Thursday -5/-10, flurries and high winds. Friday, 0 and not too bad a day. Today, +15 and overcast. Even got the vette out for a wash:

D54B27FC-4DEA-4F43-BD5E-ACF31FC3DD12.jpeg

Tomorrow, approx -5 and 20-25 mm of freezing rain with high winds. Supposed to last approx 20 hrs (can anyone say “ice storm”?).

Pretty much the way its been all winter so far. Its like the weather has lost it’s ever loving mind!

born and raised here and I can’t recall the weather ever being this “spastic”.

Global warming is a myth, right?

No sir. It’s here, its happening and its crazy!

Lol!

Reactions: Cruzin
Title was chosen to catch the eye as much as anything else....
Spoken like a true marketer Tourmax.
In the sixties I walked to work @ -35F, luckily someone picked me up because it was really windy and I would not have made it, and walked home that night @ -40F. No wind so I was OK. Came close once or twice after that but don't see those temps anymore.
Could cross the river around Christmas time to go to church back then. Now the ice goes out three or four times each winter. See green grass almost all winter long now with the melt offs.
A couple of years ago I was going to cut my grass on the 24th of Dec but unfortunately I had to go up to Ottawa. It was warm enough. Grass didn't need it but it would have make a good talking point.
Used to build up the snow for a slide when the kids were young. This was just back in the early 90's. Never get enough snow to do that any more. It melts before there is enough.
So for sure it is warming up.
Now what Mother Nature has in store for us is another question. It might not be nice.

-26 here this morning... -28 for Monday... - 31 for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday... -40 forecast for Tuesday night..Those are the daytime highs, without wind chills......Not warming up much globally here that you can notice... Gonna burn some styrofoam in my incinerator today...That might help... :Banghead:

-26 here this morning... -28 for Monday... - 31 for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday... -40 forecast for Tuesday night..Those are the daytime highs, without wind chills......Not warming up much globally here that you can notice... Gonna burn some styrofoam in my incinerator today...That might help... :Banghead:

I feel your pain Eric. I just went out and cleaned the snow outside. It is currently -27C and -40C with the windchill. This is our high for today. Looking like -30C ish all week. Oh well, at least we have lots of fuel to burn to keep warm. I think global warming left out Alberta oil country!

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
My week will be spent keeping livestock waterers working. Climate change my ass....

Claiming weird weather over a few year period is proof of climate change is like me saying I am rich right after I got paid. The weather is the same and I am still broke.

Not to be argumentative, but you guys do understand that global warming (ie: climate change) actually leads to colder temps and extreme weather swings in some areas, right?

NG actually gives a nice simple explanation why the mid west is bloody well freezing more severely because of climate change:

Although, I must say, when I lived in Sask for 9 years (about 20/25 years ago), the winters were absolutely brutal. Cold, snow, windchill....you name it, always OMFG level COLD. I still remember jumping in the truck in the dead of winter and the seats being hard as rocks and the tires being square. About halfway into town, the seat had sucked enough heat out of your ass to be soft again, but now your ass was frozen solid. That was also about the time the tires actually built up enough heat to be "round" again. But; you could let go of the steering wheel and the truck woudl still follow the road because the ruts in the snow were so deep and frozen that it had no other choice. The day we saw -50 before the windchill convinced me that hell is not hot....I was so glad the day I moved out of there.

I'll take the east coast +/- 10/20 degree swing over that frozen hell any day...;)

Well, maybe not NFLD, NB or PEI. NL gets 6 weeks of summer, NB is always flooding and trying to was away into the bay and pei.....well, lets just say being out on a sand bar in the middle of the Gulf is never a good place to be for weather.....snow, snow and more snow....great summers in PEI though! :)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: vintageracer
I completely understand the difference. I also grew up in Sask and have seen, for the last 60 years, -50, +40, tornadoes, 120 kmph winds, torrential rain, 10 feet of snow, dust storms, and all manner of other weather phenomena. In Saskatoon we called that Tuesday.

Wednesday it was -10 and 20-25 cms of snow. Thursday -5/-10, flurries and high winds. Friday, 0 and not too bad a day. Today, +15 and overcast. Even got the vette out for a wash:

View attachment 35119
Tomorrow, approx -5 and 20-25 mm of freezing rain with high winds. Supposed to last approx 20 hrs (can anyone say “ice storm”?).

Pretty much the way its been all winter so far. Its like the weather has lost it’s ever loving mind!

born and raised here and I can’t recall the weather ever being this “spastic”.

Global warming is a myth, right?

No sir. It’s here, its happening and its crazy!

Lol!
I agree Tourmax with you about climate change. I think it is a very dangerous threat to mankind.

• Agree
Reactions: vintageracer
The question is, does man have anything to do with it or is it just Mother Nature going through one of her cycles. Apparently, worldwide, the planet has been cooling for the past 15+ years. The sun going through its active and less active cycles have more to do with what is happening here than anything else. The alarmists were screaming that Antarctica had lost five miles of ice off one side but failed to mention that it had gained eight miles on the opposite side. Stunts like this and pretty soon, no one will be listening if we are into a real man made problem. Even then, who is actually going to make the changes and give up many of their comforts to do what would need be done to get any meaningful results. China and India, with over half the world's population are the real, significant polluters and are doing nothing to correct their problem.

The question is, does man have anything to do with it or is it just Mother Nature going through one of her cycles. Apparently, worldwide, the planet has been cooling for the past 15+ years. The sun going through its active and less active cycles have more to do with what is happening here than anything else. The alarmists were screaming that Antarctica had lost five miles of ice off one side but failed to mention that it had gained eight miles on the opposite side. Stunts like this and pretty soon, no one will be listening if we are into a real man made problem. Even then, who is actually going to make the changes and give up many of their comforts to do what would need be done to get any meaningful results. China and India, with over half the world's population are the real, significant polluters and are doing nothing to correct their problem.
Have no doubts; It’s real.

All one has to do is look at the historical graphs of average global temperature and it’s undeniable.

Science is pretty much in agreement: man made. Or at least seriously aggravated/accelerated by human activity. Easily measurable from the amount of carbon we’ released into the atmosphere, from many sources. Thats not nature, thats man made. Nature tends to sequester carbon in the ground and oceans, we tend to release it to make our energy sources.

I lean towards the scientific explanations, but recognize that the earth does go through climate change cycles as a natural thing.

In my estimation, we have a combination of things going on: natural cycle thats been “supercharged” by man made activities.

I do believe we need to take action, but thats where I stop with agreeing with people like the “green party”. For example: they proposed we be “carbon neutral” by 2050. Thats 30 years to completely undo something that we (as a species) have been setting in motion since the start of the industrial revolution. It’s just not a realistic target.

Yes, we need to move away from fossil fuels, if for no other reason than they are a finite resource.

BUT.....we can’t devastate our economies to do it.

Thats why 30 years to carbon neutral just doesn’t make sense to me.

Could we do it?

Yup, sure could. And I would appreciate being able to breath and not having a house buried under 50 feet of water. I also want to leave a viable ecosystem for my daughter to live in.

But we’d all end up living in cardboard boxes and eating catfood to do it.

We need to find a middle ground where we are reducing our negative environmental impact AND maintaining a viable economy and a way of life....

One thing is certain: it’s not good for any of us, natural or manmade. Anything we can do to slow or reverse it only works out good for us. At least from an economic and physical survival perspective. One of the big reasons $40,000 worth of solar panels are going up on my roof. Well, that and reducing my heating bill to nearly nothing. We’re going “net metering” and once it’s all said and done, my electric bill will essentially be a $200 payment per month instead of the $600-1000 winter heating bill.

Note: I had no intention of this turning into a political debate. Lets please keep it out of that arena.

;)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: LE BARON
Laughing stock of the World Canada is
(I have seen and heard too much of it
and know some with fists full of $$$
watching Canadians self-destruct)
thinking it's something Canada is doing and
that something within the Country is where
we will be able to save the World.
There is a common denominator where
major causes of warming are prevalent and by
Canada delivering a particular commodity,
and perhaps in a better way,
the demand for it just might be lessened
where major causes are most rooted.

I have no issue with people changing their way
here in Canada. I've invested plenty in the walls
and roof and within my house ... if only to
lessen my bills.
To think I will offset what the
remainder of the World is doing ... is not
convincing to me. Advocating to cut off Canadian
Production and just buying it from Overseas and
the South is a perpetuating cause and not a resolve.

This Country can be wealthy, sustained and perhaps
seen as a global leader and not a follower of a kid who
happened to grab attention by floating on water.
In Canada, we walk on Water because it is frozen.
By taking the demand off the economies that are producing
in much much worse ways, it may hurt their
economies into perhaps finding better ways to produce
it themselves.
It's otherwise going to be produced and warm the earth
because they have no incentive to do it in a way
that Canadians can do it.
JMO

Not preaching or politicizing anything ...
otherwise I might as well just blame Vegans
for not eating meat and economic diversity
shovelling Beyond Meat into the diet. It's
the idealism of others trying to change me
to suit themselves and not changing themselves
to suit the world. For which we will then be doomed.

... okay where did I put my drink ...

Last edited:
Interesting read here. Over the past several months there has been quite a few articles on climate change. It is intersting how media in general has messed up what is important. The one article that caught my attention stated a fact that I had often wondered about. Population.
1960 3.03 billion
1980 5.29 billion
2000 6.12 billion
2017 7.53 billion

The rate of greenhouse gas has risen almost proportionally. Coincidence? I think not. Consumerism, yes. More people, more stuff has to made and grown. The article actually had a scary statement. Global warming will allow Africa to produce more food, therefore increase life expectancy and so increase population growth. Not sure what the answer is but we are evolving and changing as we always have but the entire world must be united as only democratic countries won't make a big enough difference.

Ok off my soapbox and holy hell is it cold here!!!!!!!!

yeesh, don't get me started.

"Carbon tax" only effects lower income earners. Does it reduce emissions? yep, sure does. But it does it by penalizing those that are least capable of bearing the cost and forcing them to make real life decisions about what to give up, and what not. And it's not about giving up "fuel" or gas burning cars, it's about giving up "quality of life".

Someone making 100/150/200K or better could care less if it cost another 5-10 bucks to fill their SUV. So they drive the same amount (and emit the same amount) before a "carbon tax" is levied.

But the schmuck struggling to get by on 40/50/60K a year sure as hell feels that 5-10 bucks extra per fill. It means they may now have to choose between driving to work all 5 days a week (or more, as some do) or taking the kiddos a couple counties over for their soccer or hockey game.

No, carbon tax only hurts those in our society that can least bear that burden.

That you "might" get it back at tax time is irrelevant. Hockey games, vacations and other assorted activities happen all year round, not just at tax time. These poor schmucks have to deal with the "real time" impacts of levying more tax on fuel, and it's effing them over while doing nothing to the well off (or thier habits).

This is one of the places where Justin should wake the eff up. Of course, the Ottawa politicians don't really care either becuase we all know thier fuel bills get reimbursed at per diem rates (always more than you spend on gas, at high rate mileage, which you just know they get) or they just pull it out of their slush funds (otherwise know as the "expense account").....

Last edited:
Interesting read here. Over the past several months there has been quite a few articles on climate change. It is intersting how media in general has messed up what is important. The one article that caught my attention stated a fact that I had often wondered about. Population.
1960 3.03 billion
1980 5.29 billion
2000 6.12 billion
2017 7.53 billion

The rate of greenhouse gas has risen almost proportionally. Coincidence? I think not. Consumerism, yes. More people, more stuff has to made and grown. The article actually had a scary statement. Global warming will allow Africa to produce more food, therefore increase life expectancy and so increase population growth. Not sure what the answer is but we are evolving and changing as we always have but the entire world must be united as only democratic countries won't make a big enough difference.

Ok off my soapbox and holy hell is it cold here!!!!!!!!
good points to raise.

:)

The other morning I had hot water coming out of the cold water tap and thought... OMG... Global warming is real.... Then I remembered the backyard plumber repairs I did the night before... :Banghead:
A P.Eng. told me that it just takes the right hammer …
the next day a follow up message stated
"but it's on the left"
big hammer 1.jpg

this would apparently be plan "B" 👍🏻
hammer 02.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread