Apr 9, 2023
Halton, ON
VetteCoins
Car
2021 c8 Z51 Conv
Province
ON
Hi folks,

Thought I’d jump on here and share some recent feedback from a visit to Georgetown Cheverolet for my fellow Ontario-based owners.

Brought my MY21 C8 in for routine service. Car has 6,500km, but felt it was time to do the transmission service and the DCT filter, on top of the oil change as I brought it out of storage this year.

Booked my appointment with GT based on their online reviews and dealer ratings. I did not go into the appointment pricing the job around or asking for a quote, I’m happy to pay the premium, everyone’s got to get their cut, but in return I expect the service to be done well and be done right.

Not the case here. I returned home and heard some fair rattling at low speeds… sure enough I looked at the underbody and the tech didn’t bother to torque all the screws back in properly…

My first thought was if that screw came out while I was on the highway and hit my tire, that’s a puncture. Secondly, I started to question where else they could have cut corners if they missed something this significant. Upon reviewing the invoice I noticed they only listed 9L of the transmission fluid, and should be closer to 11L. My first thought was they maybe didn’t bother to flush the system and instead simply topped up after draining.

I sent a note to the service manager and the GM when I noticed it, have yet to hear back from them on either ask. Service was $2.2K, 4 hours of labor or just about ~$800…

My reason for sharing this story is quite simple, my C8 has sentimental value to me in what it represents, and I suspect many of you may also hold a special or meaningful relationship with yours. I’m not looking for ”preferential” treatment when I bring my car in for service, just good and thoughtful service.

Hopefully you take this review into consideration before taking your car there for service.

Attachments

• B242F68E-62BF-4DD2-B233-E4FB85B19054.jpeg
    B242F68E-62BF-4DD2-B233-E4FB85B19054.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 2F360FC0-D3BB-4C9F-BB7B-05CD26585B5B.jpeg
    2F360FC0-D3BB-4C9F-BB7B-05CD26585B5B.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I also read somewhere quoting a GM person that even if you get the trans fluid changed earlier than 12,000 kms they still expect you to get it changed at 12,000kms in order to maintain warranty. They obviously feel that the trans can generate significant initial debris up until that 12,000 km mark.
No, the canister is replaced at 12,000KM's. Not the fluids.

1681132251991.png

Appreciate the kind words! Happy to be here.

I could be wrong, but the owners manual suggests the transmission service is done at the 3 year mark or at the KM threshold (which you mentioned). Yes, I’m a year early, but I tend to autocross with some other folks on the weekend (nothing serious, but spirited and longer drives) so it was probably appropriate to get it done a bit early. Ultimately there’s no downside to preventive care.

To your point, I’m happy to do it again at the 12,000 mark in a year or two. It may be overkill to some, but I’m a driver at heart and not a tech, so I’m happy to ensure the car stays in the greatest shape possible. I suspect there’s some very smart, and mechanically inclined folks in this forum, I can’t pretend to argue right/wrong maintenance intervals, just my expectations on customer service.

Attachments

• C69A12C6-0F27-41B8-AFEE-37FE2DE179FC.jpeg
    C69A12C6-0F27-41B8-AFEE-37FE2DE179FC.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
Appreciate the kind words! Happy to be here.

I could be wrong, but the owners manual suggests the transmission service is done at the 3 year mark or at the KM threshold (which you mentioned). Yes, I’m a year early, but I tend to autocross with some other folks on the weekend (nothing serious, but spirited and longer drives) so it was probably appropriate to get it done a bit early. Ultimately there’s no downside to preventive care.

To your point, I’m happy to do it again at the 12,000 mark in a year or two. It may be overkill to some, but I’m a driver at heart and not a tech, so I’m happy to ensure the car stays in the greatest shape possible. I suspect there’s some very smart, and mechanically inclined folks in this forum, I can’t pretend to argue right/wrong maintenance intervals, just my expectations on customer service.
Good catch!! I didn't notice the footnote.

(4) Or every three years, whichever comes first. If the vehicle mileage is near the canister filter replacement interval, replace the fluid and filter.

Reactions: JimmyC8
*Quick Update*

Dealer reached out this morning and was great at resolving the issue.

Impressed with their response and having a thorough and thoughtful conversation with me. There was multiple folks involved and definitely appreciated what they had to say and how they said it.

Doesn’t happen like that very often. Hard to find good people like that so definitely going to head back again, I’m not beyond mistakes myself, everyone deserves that second chance.

Appreciate everyone’s feedback in this thread and the community you have here.

*Quick Update*

Dealer reached out this morning and was great at resolving the issue.

Impressed with their response and having a thorough and thoughtful conversation with me. There was multiple folks involved and definitely appreciated what they had to say and how they said it.

Doesn’t happen like that very often. Hard to find good people like that so definitely going to head back again, I’m not beyond mistakes myself, everyone deserves that second chance.

Appreciate everyone’s feedback in this thread and the community you have here.
How did they make it right?

How did they make it right?
Most importantly, they (a group of the leaders of the dealership) took the time to walk me through all the work that was done, how they did it, explained the transmission change procedures and where they think the screws got missed and why.

For me, spending the time to reassure me and show me their process, methodology, and execution is really the most important. Again, never about the dollars, I just want to understand and have some reassurance that the work was done well, and if they were unsure they would take my car back in and do another check.

They did also apologize and share their thoughts and feelings, which was appreciated, as well as discussed any other compensation they felt may be appropriate. I don’t want to get into those specifics because the point for me was always about trust, honesty and a commitment to delivering quality—at the end of the day we all have vehicles we love, have invested in, and just want to see them in the best shape possible.

Reactions: PapaSmurf and gone
A bit unrelated but do we also get the free 1st DCT service like the Americans do? At all dealers?

Initially (2020, 2021) Canadians only got the first 2 oil/filter changes for free, however for the 2022 and 2023 MY's, the DCT filter and fluid top-up (NOT fluid replacement) is now also free. That compares to US C8 owners...who only got/get the one free oil/filter change and DCT work. You have to do everything w/i the first 2 years of ownership and so far, all the dealers I know of, are not requiring you to adhere to the recommended mileage/timing specified by GM. In other words, I think you can get these freebies done anytime in the first 2 years. Just be careful and don't exceed the recommended mileage/times or you may jeopardize your warranty: such as once/year for oil/filter and 12,000 km for the DCT work, unless your car tells you to do this sooner.

Note: MANY Alberta dealers I spoke with, didn't know about the free DCT work. Copying the relevant GM dealer bulletin off these Forums, came in handy...reason #419 for belonging to these Forums.

@netsinah You know it's coming! I just had to. I can't help myself! ;)

One answer to the question

Netsinah's answer to that question.
Initially (2020, 2021) Canadians only got the first 2 oil/filter changes for free, however for the 2022 and 2023 MY's, the DCT filter and fluid top-up (NOT fluid replacement) is now also free. That compares to US C8 owners...who only got/get the one free oil/filter change and DCT work. You have to do everything w/i the first 2 years of ownership and so far, all the dealers I know of, are not requiring you to adhere to the recommended mileage/timing specified by GM. In other words, I think you can get these freebies done anytime in the first 2 years. Just be careful and don't exceed the recommended mileage/times or you may jeopardize your warranty: such as once/year for oil/filter and 12,000 km for the DCT work, unless your car tells you to do this sooner.

Note: MANY Alberta dealers I spoke with, didn't know about the free DCT work. Copying the relevant GM dealer bulletin off these Forums, came in handy...reason #419 for belonging to these Forums.

I know there are many on these Forums with far more Corvette knowledge and experience than I, however for the more junior members I always like to provide a complete answer so they're steered in the right direction. It's likely since I enjoy teaching and being helpful...even though my job is NOT a teacher and never was.

Anyway, where would some people be and what would they have to do on these Forums, if I didn't present the opportunity to skewer my posts...

Good catch!! I didn't notice the footnote.

(4) Or every three years, whichever comes first. If the vehicle mileage is near the canister filter replacement interval, replace the fluid and filter.
Funny, my dct fluid timer says 75% even though I'm approaching 3 years.

I know there are many on these Forums with far more Corvette knowledge and experience than I, however for the more junior members I always like to provide a complete answer so they're steered in the right direction. It's likely since I enjoy teaching and being helpful...even though my job is NOT a teacher and never was.

Anyway, where would some people be and what would they have to do on these Forums, if I didn't present the opportunity to skewer my posts...
Absolutely keep doing what you do. I'm only teasing you!

Users who are viewing this thread