YFCvii

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
VetteCoins
GM | Home | HERE

For some who might not be aware - here is a link for GM Navigation Updates.

Interesting that both my 2016 and 2017 Corvette purchases came from the factory
with out-of-date Navigation. Updates were discovered and I made no big deal of it.
I did not pay MSRP but if I did, I might have taken it differently. For those who have
factory orders, you might want to ask your Delivery Dealer to assure you of an
up-to-date Navigation System on Delivery as these are over $200 CAN to buy (US$ exchange rate).
Some you can buy and self-install. For those who are not too "handy", I know some buy these and have their Dealer install them.

There are some system updates that are available only for the Dealer and are not a self-install ... including (but not limited to)
2013-2016 Buick Enclave
2015 Chevrolet Captiva
2016 Chevrolet Express
2013-2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2013-2016 GMC Acadia
2016 Savana
For the updates that have to be ordered through a Dealer, installation is included as the Dealer gets a installation rebate when they buy it.
My servicing dealer was up-and-up with it all as they gave me the used package after our 2015 Acadia update.

Some of you might be real happy with the latest Apple Car Play. It's not a bad feature at all - I like it however,
I did find that I needed Cell Phone Service to use it in parts of the Mountains and it also eats a little bit of data.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
Spence I’m curious now if my 17 came with the latest update at the time. Seems to work ok and I never found it had me in a field on the new streets like the 15.
Another thing to look at in the spring... getting closer every day now.
The Apple Car Play I’m just getting familiar with as this is the first one I’ve had with it. My phone has to be plugged in to the USB for the icon to come up and it to work. That was a huge milestone just getting that far. The voice texting with ACP does work good I found. ;)

Hi Derek. I have not checked our 17 but my 16 had trouble finding a street in St. Albert last month that was apparently there since about 2006.
It happens. So I just updated my 16 and I should see if it can find it now. I relied on Apple Car Play to find the address - with no problem :thumbs:.
I like the Car Play Voice Messaging as well ... although Siri and I don't always get along. She has trouble understanding me.
I mean well but she just takes everything I say .... wrongly :Rage: sometimes. :angelic:

Last edited:
Hi Derek. I have not checked our 17 but my 16 had trouble finding a street in St. Albert last month that was apparently there since about 2006.
It happens so I just updated my 16 and I should see if it can find it now. I relied on Apple Car Play to find the address - with no problem :thumbs:.
I like the Car Play Voice Messaging as well ... although Siri and I don't always get along. She has trouble understanding me.
I mean well but she just takes everything I say .... wrongly :Rage: sometimes. :angelic:

She scolds me constantly as well. You make a very good point Spence as with ACP you can use the phone apps much easier and safer... which are free and constantly up to date. :thumbs:

Reactions: YFCvii
She scolds me constantly as well. You make a very good point Spence as with ACP you can use the phone apps much easier and safer... which are free and constantly up to date. :thumbs:
.. and I gotta remember to be careful telling Siri "where to go" :Rage: when I'm in voice messaging :Woot: and she sends :Woot:
... yup the maps are always up to date and price pointed to suit this cheap a$$ perfectly

Wait 5 more years and traditional built in oem locked Nav units will be a thing of the past or will be bundled very differently. The day they opened the door to apple and Google was the day they gave up that space.

Connected cars are here.

Oh joy :meh: ... on the good side I should at least be able to save up a lot of Scotia GM Visa Dollars by then for a brand new fancy Chevy "what-not" ...
as long as Scotia doesn't bail on this very awesome program they have. (oh oooo .... am I derailing my own thread again .....)

Reactions: Nik and ddgermann
I was pissed off at the GM Nav on my '16 as it could not find a civic number on a street and therefore I could not just punch "go" to get me on the street. Got out my ten year old Garmin and used that instead with no problems. Then the same day it could not find the city of Levis Qc which has been around for several years. Back to Garmin. It had previously done that to me with Lac Megantic (where the train oil cars blew up). Again, Lac Megantic has also been around for several years.
I complained to the local dealer and the service guys had a knowledgeable sales guy come out and show me how to speak the directions to the nav system. Everything worked just fine with the voice input. Kind of stupid on GM's part (probably not their system anyways) that you can voice input with no problem but can not type it in.
As to the price, it is roadside robbery. You can buy a complete Garmin unit, screen and all, for a few dollars more with lifetime updates. I would seriously consider it before buying an update from GM. And of course there is Apple. I used that down in Hawaii last February to get me out of a continual loop. Works great and no update fee either.

GM needs to get their act together on this obvious faux pas.

LE BARON

I agree with you. Gm should follow other OEM's who don't charge for software map updates. It's a pretty poor customer experience when competition offers them for free (or at least they're rolled into your total).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.