I went to a 3.42 with my A4 a few years ago, great improvement, if you really want to make it work add a 2800 stall TC at the same time since the diff is out anyway..... I just happen to have one for sale cheap.... Lol....

Plan to do a gear swap up at Manny's before fall. Planning on 3.43, anyone else made the change?
This is an automatic.

Bill
No not yet but I'd love to do it to my '94 which has a 2:7 gear thereabouts.

I'd gladly sacrifice a couple mpg's for a boost in performance.

Good luck with your gear change Bill -- I'm sure you'll fill us in on your impressions upon completion.

You can bank on Manny and the boys looking after you very well.

Cheers,

C.

Years ago, I changed my Z28 from 2.70s to 3.73s (with an A4) and the car was like night and day. I think it took about a month to wipe the grin off my face. the wife thought it might have to be surgically removed. You are going to love it.

Back in the musclecar era, 3.73 gears were considered the start of performance gearing. Both of our '69 Chevelles were factory equipped with 4.10 gears and no overdrive. A five speed would have been nice. With a 6500 redline, there was lots of rpm range to work with. If I was to change out our 3.42 gears I would be going 3.90s at least. With the deep overdrive of sixth gear cruising rpm still would be fine and gas mileage wouldn't take all that much of a hit.

Bill I hope that you are pleased with the swap. It is funny but thinking of gear changes and such mechanical updates almost seems old school now. I am surprised that one cannot go into the computer and sway the ratio. My goodness cars have evolved.

Have fun with this, stay out of trouble.:thumbs:

All went well as expected @ Manny's. Gears are great and I should see a tremendous difference once the top end is done. Not sure if I am doing that this year yet or wait until next spring.
Did a little spirited driving on the way home but there was lots of traffic so nothing too serious. Seen a gifted police officer part way home, he could turn his head around just like an owl.....neat!
Seen Brian's C4 up there but no Brian. Wonder what he is having done?:thumbs:

Bill

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.